Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 04-21-2013
Gardner

Default Rearview monitor

A couple of months back I removed the old rear view/backup monitor and replaced it with a simple, cheap, headrest monitor. I installed it behind the original glass where the old CRT was. Although it is bright and easy to see, it is smaller than the original. The smaller size and the location made it hard to focus on (too close for the distance lens of my glasses) and required taking my eyes completely off the road. I use it mainly to gauge the position of cars relative to the toad when changing lanes. The high vantage point of the camera in conjunction with the side view mirrors makes for comfortable lane change.

I decided to re-mount it in place of the original rear view mirror. It is at a good distance for focusing and it is now very easy to glance at it and see what is happening without tilting my head back.

I temporarily used the provided mount and screwed it to the vertical post. Unfortunately it is a little flimsy and will shake around. Next step is to make a solid mount based on the final angle I work out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearView-1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	21583   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearView-2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	21584  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 04-21-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-21-2013

Gardner,

I need to do something similar. I removed the old (not functioning) monitor and have been looking at the electronics to replace it, assuming that I would mount the new screen where the old monitor was. Thanks to your experience I am now thinking of mounting it where the rear view mirror is.

About the only thing I use the rear view mirror for is watching for drawers and closet doors that are flapping when I'm going down the road.

Did you use the existing video cable to bring the image from the camera to the screen? Or did you use wireless?

What size is your screen?

Whose camera did you end up with? Did you mount it where the original was mounted? Did it have LEDs? What did you do about the LEDs and the cover glass not getting along?

I'm going to uncover my Wanderlodge this week and May 1 the campground opens and I can restart all of my projects!

Thanks in Advance!
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 04-21-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyndes View Post
Gardner,

I need to do something similar. I removed the old (not functioning) monitor and have been looking at the electronics to replace it, assuming that I would mount the new screen where the old monitor was. Thanks to your experience I am now thinking of mounting it where the rear view mirror is.

About the only thing I use the rear view mirror for is watching for drawers and closet doors that are flapping when I'm going down the road.

Did you use the existing video cable to bring the image from the camera to the screen? Or did you use wireless?

What size is your screen?

Whose camera did you end up with? Did you mount it where the original was mounted? Did it have LEDs? What did you do about the LEDs and the cover glass not getting along?

I'm going to uncover my Wanderlodge this week and May 1 the campground opens and I can restart all of my projects!

Thanks in Advance!
Craig,

I installed a camera from Steven Birtles several years ago. I mounted it outside to the metal shield that shades the original window port. I ran the wire in through a cut out in the edge of one of the marker lights. I made an adapter to connect it to the existing power and signal wires. I will look for the post that describes it.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=1605

As far as the monitor I used an adapter to mate the original BNC signal wire to an RCA. You can just as easily cut the original signal wire and solder new connectors on to match what you need. I am still looking for the post where I showed the adapter. When I find it I will add it here.

I think the screen is 7 inches diagonally. It is a headrest monitor and I think it was $37.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearCamera-1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	21580   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearCamera-2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	21581  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 04-21-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Fred Bellows just installed a 1080i rear view camera and mated it to both his dash monitor and flat screen TV.. WOW.. OK I now know what we've been missing!

I'll have to bug him for pics and info.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 04-21-2013
Forum Moderator

Okay Michael send us the specs