Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 03-07-2010

Got the curb side hydronic cover completed Satuday.

To make it look a little better when looking from above, I pulled the grills which orginally are mounted on the backside of the boxs and mounted them on the top of the boxes. I then glued the flooring to the top of the boxes and cut the openings a 1/4" smaller so you can't see the plywood box material below the grills.

Since the flooring is engineered flooring, I stained the cut out area to hide the layers of ply.

Fredericksburg, TX
Old 03-07-2010

Lookin good!
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 04-05-2010

Been busy with other projects, finally got back to the coach the last two weekends so have made some progress. Was able to build the cabinets, counter top. Install carpet in drivers foot well, stairwell, and slide. Installed the bullnose trim in the stair well. Stripped part of the wall paper on the curb side.

Cut down a convector that use to be under the dinette and installed it where the short cabinet goes, just got the 130 degree snap disc and fans, need to build the shroud and then will complete making it a forced air heater. Refilled the antifreeze and purged the line.

Here are pics I was able to squeeze off while doing all the work

Cutting the side of one of the cabinets out of oak ply:

Building the cabinet face frame, cut the pocket screws, clamp, glue, install screws, rinse, repeat ):

One finished cabinet down, one to go:

Building the counter top for the tall cabinet. Building up the edge using double ply:

Glued and rolled the laminate. Used heat gun to bend the banding edge around the corner:

Temp installed the cabinets and countertop to check fit:

The cut down convector in place (under the short cabinet. The cabinet has holes cut in the toe kick with expanded metal like the convector covers elsewhere in the bus):

Staining the cabinets (what that '29 doing in the photo, no double header!. Its one of those projects I was talking about )

Staining the other cabinet (look at that twin turbo 1000HP motor in that '65, yet another project taking time )

Tall cabinet all finished, just need to mount the door:

Installing the carpet on the slide:

Stripping the wall paper:

Fredericksburg, TX
Old 04-05-2010
Forum owner

wow! nice work,and some nice projects too!
Thanks for the pics.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-05-2010

There are 5 categories for people like Michael.

1 Laborer
2 Apprentice
3 Journeyman
4 Professional
5 Master

I would rate him a 4 on the scale.

Only a 4???????

Sure that's better than a 5!!!!

The only guys I know who rate a 5 are deceased. That's why we call them Masters in my Trade, just being polite.

Of course you could say he is a, Jack Of All Trades.
Obviously the, The Master of None, caveat does not apply here.

Those are some Seriously Ambitious and Outstanding Projects!

Well Done!
Old 04-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpersbird View Post
There are 5 categories for people like Michael.

1 Laborer
2 Apprentice
3 Journeyman
4 Professional
5 Master

I would rate him a 4 on the scale.

Only a 4???????

Sure that's better than a 5!!!!

The only guys I know who rate a 5 are deceased. That's why we call them Masters in my Trade, just being polite.

Of course you could say he is a, Jack Of All Trades.
Obviously the, The Master of None, caveat does not apply here.

Those are some Seriously Ambitious and Outstanding Projects!

Well Done!
Thanks for the compliment.

It's my day job that pays for all those projects .

The shop is getting a little full these days. Going to have to get some of these done so I can get them out of the shop. The '29 is next, had a brake issue, took all the lines out and cleaned them. Believe its a proportioning valve issue with the back brakes.

Heading back to the shop this eve to get some more work done on the coach, we have the Lone Start Bird's - "Blue Bonnet Bondongle" rally this weekend in Marble Falls, TX that I need the coach for. So need to install the front seats, get the slide completed, and the cabinets done so I can go have some fun, drink some beer, and shoot the BS with all my Bluebird buddies!
Fredericksburg, TX
Old 10-31-2011

Default Bedroom Handscraped Hickory Flooring

Well the weather has changed, so back to working on the Bird

Started on the bedroom. Ripping the carpet off the floor and the bed frame (kitties are not going to be happy with me about that ) and replacing it with Hand-scraped Hickory wood flooring. Because the coach has a rear Alternator, I needed to figure out a way to service the alternator through the floor plate. When I pulled the carpet it was evident that the flexing in the plate that covers the alternator needed to be fixed before I could install a wood floor over it. So I pulled the plates and welded angle iron to the bottom of it and them replaced the insulation with new material. It no longer flexs now when I step on it.

Then needed to figure out how to make that section of the floor removable. So decided to attach the wood floor to the original piece of plywood that was screwed down over the metal plates. I built a custom threshold out of 1"x4" oak (had to glue up to make it an actual 1" needed, then cut the angle and tongue/groove) to transition from base floor up to the area where the removable plate is. The tongue of the wood floor attached to the plywood will fit into the groove of the transition piece. I will then use a couple screws at the far side of the wood floor to secure it. The screws will be concealed by the cover that covers the hydronic pipes by the bed.

New Insulation glued back to the plate:

New flooring in place:

Custom made transition strip:

Transition strip test fit:

Fredericksburg, TX

Last edited by mbrund; 11-01-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: To resize photos to forum requirements
Old 10-31-2011
Forum owner

You make it look so easy!
Carol and I want a counter/cabinet instead of the dinnette,its on our to buy list,i can't do wood like you do!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-31-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
You make it look so easy!
Carol and I want a counter/cabinet instead of the dinnette,its on our to buy list,i can't do wood like you do!
What, you two don't sit at the dinette and hold hands

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 11-05-2011

Went to the shop after work, got there around 7PM and worked till 10PM. Got the rest of the floor between the bed and the rear of the coach done. This was the section of floor that needed to be built so it can be removed to service the rear alternator, air compressor, etc. So the wood flooring has been attached to plywood in that area, and the tongue of the first board fits into the custom made threshold. The last two boards are glued together and not attached to the plywood, but snap into place. This is so I can screw the plywood down and have the screws hidden buy those two pieces of flooring. These last two pieces of flooring are kept in place by the box that hides the hydronic hoses fitting over the top of the flooring.

Need to finish doing the bed riser, the hydronic heater cover, and the two covers that hide the hydronic hoses at the back and side of bed. Then I have to turn my attention to wallpaper (oh ****, I hate wallpaper)

Pic of Flooring completed:

Pic of last two pieces of flooring glued together removed to access the screws that hold the flooring in place:

The flooring removed to access the engine access plate:

Fredericksburg, TX