Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 04-11-2010
Beemer Tourer

Default Seat Upgrade (Air?)

We are considering installing air suspension seats in the "Kootenay Belle". I have a buddy in the long-haul industry who has access to a nice set of air ride seats with bases. She is not readily available for me to take measurements right now. Does anyone know what size of seat base/seat would fit in our 1978 35FC, or any other pitfalls to avoid? Thanks, Lynn and Glenn.
Old 04-11-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1100lt View Post
We are considering installing air suspension seats in the "Kootenay Belle". I have a buddy in the long-haul industry who has access to a nice set of air ride seats with bases. She is not readily available for me to take measurements right now. Does anyone know what size of seat base/seat would fit in our 1978 35FC, or any other pitfalls to avoid? Thanks, Lynn and Glenn.
The only advice that I would suggest is to try to get one with an adjustable shock absorber. I installed an ISRI bus seat that I picked up on ebay. Can't live without it. IMHO every bird needs an air seat.
Old 04-11-2010

David,

Does it have a swivel base??

In a slide coach that's not so much an issue. but with no slides a drivers seat that isn't usable while camping is a problem.

No argument about quality or comfort, they just need to make one that will swivel so it can be used while parked.

I have spoken with Recaro Seats several times and always the same answer. Were working on it.

They quit making swivel bases a while ago because they would not hold up to the rigors of the big tricks.

I think ISRI has that option. but @ 2K too much for me.
Old 04-11-2010

One of the previous put air ride seats in ours, you got to watch out when you hit bumps or your head will hit the overhead compartments and your legs will hit the steeringwheel so i really dont use it that much but it may be different in others .
Wichita Falls , Tx
Old 04-11-2010

I locked mine so it doesn't bounce. The ride is fine without it.

I also use the driver's seat as a computer station as the computer sits nicely on the wheel without a table (less storage of stuff) and I don't have to put it away (easier to do the forum). If it is in air mode, unlocked, it goes down when the coach air goes down (soon) so I prefer no air seat. Can't swivel it, though. Too bad; that would be nice.
Old 04-11-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' OldSchool View Post
One of the previous put air ride seats in ours, you got to watch out when you hit bumps or your head will hit the overhead compartments and your legs will hit the steeringwheel so i really dont use it that much but it may be different in others .
This is why I stress the need for an adjustable shock. The stock air ride that came with my LXi had a shock but it wasn't adjustable. The ride was just as you describe. My new one has an adjustable shock and I can stiffen it up so that the seat only moves on the worst pavement. Huge improvement. BTW, Prevost uses ISRI seats so replacement parts are available at any Prevost-Car service center. The seat is 100% rebuildable.

Kurt, mine doesn't have a swivel base.
Old 04-11-2010

Hi

I mounted my drivers seat on a Bostrom air pedistal. I feel that it is well worth the effort as my Bird is a 79 with spring on all corners. Also a PO replaced the original with a Flexsteel.
To have all the functions of the original I mated the top of the original to the Bostrom.
I cut the top plate off the original and attached it to the Bostrom with 8 bolts. It also required the Bostrom to be lowered.
And yes you need a snubber to prevent launching into the overhead, they are harder than my head by a long shot, personal experance. The Bostrom does have a shock but it does not control height, I used a heavy duty bungee and it works well. I posted pictures of the conversion about 2 years ago.
If I can help with suggestion please call.

Chuck
Old 04-11-2010

Well I'm not as heavy as I used to be, butt hitting bottom HARD before it launched you up wards is getting old and it does hurt occasionally. I like the bungee idea souns quick, simple, cheap. Got any pictures?
Old 04-12-2010

Hi

I will take Photos and post tomorrow

Chuck