Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 06-22-2010

Default PT40 Genny Tray removal

As promised, I've started documenting some of the progress on solving my generator "issues". Since Quartzsite, the voltage has been fluctuating wildly. After replacing the regulator, brushes and other electrical components, our local "authorized" Kohler service center, Winter Generator Service, in York, PA told me that the problem was not with the generator, but with the rough idle of the Perkins motor. So I had the injectors and injection pump rebuilt, adjusted the valves, installed a new fuel lift pump, boosted the fuel pressure with a Facet pump and did about everything else that I could think of to smooth out the idle. Despite having a much quieter, smoother running motor, the voltages continued to fluctuate and we decided to pull the Kohler power unit and test the rotor and stator windings. My guess is that there is a bad connection in there somewhere. Anyhow- here are some pics of the tray removed and the process involved. The first thing I did was to disconnect all of the "umbilical's" that connect the generator tray to the coach. Each was labeled and a corresponding piece of tape or zip-tie was placed on the generator. Turns out, I found a pretty nice chafe in the power supply cable to the generator starter. Had I not undertaken this project, I'm certain that the coach would have experienced a short at some point in the not-so-distant future
The second part was the actual extension of the tray and subsequent disconnect of the hydraulic ram from the tray. The pin on the end of the ram was held in place by a cotter pin. It's pretty difficult to remove the large pin without a helper "wobbling" the tray assembly. Once that pin is removed, the tray will slide freely right out of the coach. We used a forklift and wooden pallet to support the tray and then gently backed out the tray with the lift and rested it on the garage floor. The biggest challenge was loosening the mount and spring assemblies in the tray so that we could pull the genny entirely out of the tray. We had to heat and bend a "sacrificial" 9/16 box wrench (photo below) to hold the mounting nut while we loosened the long bolt that holds the generator foot in place on the springs. When we reinstall those springs, I'm going to weld a 3" piece of steel rod on the side of each nut to keep it from spinning. It will also make removal of the generator and motor a lot easier next time. Removing those nuts took longer than any part of the whole operation! We then used a chain and clevis hooked to a fork on the lift and raised the genny and motor out of the tray. Without the generator assembly, the tray only weighs a few hundred pounds. I'm making a furniture dolly that will allow me to pull the tray again on my own to paint and re-insulate the compartment. I'll also be installing new woven loom on all of the wires and checking for other chafe points. Finally, thanks to Tom Sorrentino, I have enough 6/3 wire to make a buddy plug connection on the front of the coach, so we'll be able to power a friend in need someday, or a house for that matter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennytray1.JPG
Views:	821
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	5478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennytray2.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	5479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennyconnections.JPG
Views:	738
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	5480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennyconnections2.JPG
Views:	674
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	5481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennymount.JPG
Views:	709
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	5482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennymounttool.JPG
Views:	660
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	5483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennyliftout.JPG
Views:	699
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	5484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennytrayempty.JPG
Views:	717
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	5485  

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 06-22-2010
Forum Moderator

Nice work Shane as usual and great pics. I didn't realize your genny tray was a three sided enclosure. It does make cleaning up and reinsulating a bit easier I think. Is there a possibility of adding additional sound insulation either on the cavity wall or the outside of the three sided box??

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 06-22-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2010

Looking good Shane. Keep the pictures coming.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 06-22-2010

Shane,

What are your thoughts about the rollers that support the entire setup, now that it's out of the way? Is there anyway to easily lube them without removing the tray?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 06-22-2010
RV Appraiser

Go Shane Go, I always admire how you dig into the heart of a problem, Get-R-done!
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 06-22-2010
Gardner

Shane,
Do you call that 9/16 'EL Wrench' ?
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-22-2010

That genny is pretty dog gone clean Shane do you ever use it?
Austintown,Ohio
Old 06-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Shane,

What are your thoughts about the rollers that support the entire setup, now that it's out of the way? Is there anyway to easily lube them without removing the tray?
I am doing the same thing with my generator. Except its running just fine, but the insulation was shot. Cleaned and re-insulated the tunnel where the tray goes into. The Stephen Birtley stuff really sticks like ####. Get it right the first time or start over (with a new piece). The rollers come out easy if the tray is pulled out. Took a 15/16 wrench and a (forgot the size of the allen wrench) and the roller comes off. Surprisingly, they were still turning good but starting to just about sticking, so oil and grease fixed that. BUT my tray is rusted badly on the front floor. Needs some welding. Then POR 15, then paint and it goes on and on. New hoses, clamps, etc as Bill Pape says: once it s out then do ......
Old 06-22-2010

It's just hard not to be impressed isn't it?

Got an idea for your furniture dolly. A couple scissors jacks on a frame with wheels under it, maybe four, one on each corner and you should be able to position and adjust it so you can remove the generator tray. Just an idea wouldn't be at all surprised if you don't have a better one. Maybe bottle jacks, small ones which I have four of if you could use them. I forget why I have them but in my most recent garage clean out I came across them plus four jack stands. Laying around taking up space if they would be of use?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 06-23-2010

John- I plan to spend a fair amount of time sitting under the opening today and examining what's there. I've always just sprayed the rollers with PB Blaster to lube them up, but today, I'll be able to remove a few and see about jamming some heavier grease into them. Heckman- I made a furniture dolly that exactly matches the height of the tray off the ground. Once you slide out the tray, it falls down a little and you just continue pulling until it's all the way out. The scissor jack setup would be a great idea if not on level ground. I have the luck of working on a fairly level street. Mike- the genny has always stayed pretty clean, recently it got rinsed in so much diesel after all of the engine work that most of the slop ended up in the tray. I'll be repainting it before reinstall, so it'll look like new once I'm done. More pics to follow later...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00866.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	6539   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00865.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	6540   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00863.JPG
Views:	437