Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 07-05-2010

Default Do you use a spare/backup generator?

Yikes, not much power for the $$$. Anyone have an idea how much diesel my 15kw generator will use at full power? Hmmmm, $2200 = 700 gal diesel!
Old 07-05-2010

I'm guessing that you will get between 1000 to 1400 hours on the Gen with 700 gal of diesel, depending on load. l have a friend that has a Newell and he has a 12.5 KVA gen, his plan is to have a secondary "honda knock off" 3000 watt gen. The are really quiet(approx 54 db) and the burn about a pint to a quart an hour depending on load. His plan is that small gen will run one A/C, and charge batteries. He thinks that he could run that all night for just a few dollars in fuel when he needs the a/c, of the charging (winter). He has lots of space in the engine compartment where he can mount the gen.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 07-05-2010
Forum owner

Default DO YOU USE A SPARE GENERATOR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmarycamilleri View Post
I'm guessing that you will get between 1000 to 1400 hours on the Gen with 700 gal of diesel, depending on load. l have a friend that has a Newell and he has a 12.5 KVA gen, his plan is to have a secondary "honda knock off" 3000 watt gen. The are really quiet(approx 54 db) and the burn about a pint to a quart an hour depending on load. His plan is that small gen will run one A/C, and charge batteries. He thinks that he could run that all night for just a few dollars in fuel when he needs the a/c, of the charging (winter). He has lots of space in the engine compartment where he can mount the gen.

I agree with the 2nd gennie,i have been talking about doing that for years..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-05-2010
Gardner

I ordered one of the Honda 2000i units last week. It won't run an AC unit, but it will charge the batteries and run tv and other items without waking the world. The 3000 unit is too big, FC's have very limited storage. Of course, now I need to carry a can of gas. Maybe I will buy the multi-fuel propane conversion next year.

Actually I am not certain the 3000 unit would run a Cruisair anyway.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-05-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

I carry a spare generator in my trailer, it is a 2000 watt MCCULLOUGH gas model, it is not as fuel efficient, or not as quiet as a Honda model of the same size, but at the time I purchased it through a discount catalog the cost was less than 50% of the Honda's cost. It will usually start on 2-3 pulls, but since I don't exercise it like I should and I drain the fuel out of it after each use, it takes some time to get it to start the first time again.

I have used it to charge the 8 house batteries on my 'Bird which power my Vector 6000/3000 watt inverter which in turn operate the TV's, Satellite Dish System, DVD Player, Microwave, Coffee Pot, Lights, 2-120v fans and Laptop.

It is a manual start and that can be a problem for me as if it doesn't start on the first 6 pulls on the rope, I'm feeling the arthritis kick in. I have been toying with the idea of replacing it with a small 2000-3000 watt electric start model

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-05-2010

I like the idea of buying a backup gen set, but we full time with two teenage children and a small hairy rat (maltese). I have no room! I thought $5 a watt was a good price but Patrick said $2 watt might be out there. Jerry Kessler has the same year coach as mine and has the ULTIMATE System IMO but the cost, I'm sure is out of my reach. We parked at Silverstrand Ca. State beach with no hookups and used the generator 4 hours a day without air conditioner because the temps were in the mid 60's. I figured I will want/need at least 500 watts to do a little boon docking once in a while.
I guess the free power from the sun isn't so free.
Old 07-05-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

There are a wide variety of Brands and Sizes available on www.amazon.com the ones shown in this link below with the name KIPOR are the sames as those sold under the brand name of MCCULLOUGH like the one I have;

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...TER+GENERATORS

While I mentioned that mine was not as quiet as a Honda it is still quieter than a construction site type generator and operates more efficiently than my old Perkins and it is a Generator/Inverter style just like the Honda is. I did however notice that the one like mine Kipor IG2000 2000-Watt Inverter Generator is about $150.00 more than what I paid for mine, but then prices on everything have gone up since I got mine.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-05-2010

I carry a Honda 2000i and 2 gas cans in the basement nearly all the time. It will keep up with almost everything but air conditioners and the hot water heater. We run the big generator for an hour a day in order to take hot showers. If we had a propane water heater, we could get by with only the Honda, except maybe in really hot weather.
"The Aviary"
Old 07-06-2010

I find I can carry gasoline in the propane comp't of my FC. A 2 gallon can fits perfect beside the racor filter held in place by a snubber rubber.
Carvel AB Canada
Old 07-06-2010

Since the genny uses about 1gal/hr at full load, you'd have to run the smaller genny for at least 370 hours just to offset the initial cost ($3.5/gal diesel used). Then you'd have to run it long enough to offset the fuel and maintenance costs. Then you've got to figure the wear and tear on your big genny from NOT running it. I'd work to decrease the noise of the big set and forget the little one. But mine isn't that noisey to begin with, so it's easy for me to say that.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support