Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 09-21-2010

I'd say in your situation is to buy one 3000watt peak $250 gas gennys off ebay then you could have at least some generation then later fix the cab air with freeze 12.

"Could win the darwin award with this one!" ...or some folks have been known to fill the r12 unit 80% with propane.
It is said to work just no smoking while you are using it...Ha HA poof! /o\ /O\
I think if I tried this I would have to replumb all the rubber r12 hose with copper line...
something stainless steel/rubber at the pump threaded fittings.
The upside is you could hook it to ur propane tank and never run out of refrigerant!

NOT A GOOD IDEA!
Even though alot of refrigerants are flamable! I don't think it is safe

Last edited by Christian; 09-21-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2010
Senior

Tommy your comment "pure sine wave Magnum inverter/chargers to help with my problem of regularly burning out modern circuit boards and helping with pictures on new HDTV flat screens. They are fantastic. They are smarter than the old Freedom 25s (2,500 watts each with 150 amp chargers). They manage power for you based on your setup"
What makes the Magnum inverter/chargers "smarter" then the Freedom 25's and how do they "manage" power based on your setup? I have a Freedom 25 with a link 2000 and it is very intelligent and will do anything that I can imagine within the coach. I have not found a device yet that I use that it will not power fine.

Richard I dont see how you are going to use the Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to charge your 6VDC batteries? You cannot put chargers in series to get a different voltage output. What kind of UPS system do you have and what do you want to do with it?

One more question. How are you going to rewire your power selector to utilize an inverter? The power selector is wired for inputs to the main power panel?
6V92
Old 09-21-2010

Thank You Tom. I didn't think you could get 24 volts out of two 12 chargers.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-21-2010

Okay I am an electrician and I am quite certain about this.

Assume you have a 12 volt battery.... with a 12v charger already hooked up and charging......

Assume another 12 volt batery .... with a 12v charger already hooked up and charging......

Now hook the two batteries in series with changing nothing.

You have 24 volts charge voltage on the group.

Its all the same.

12 volts dc is 12 volts dc both systems are seprately derived.

Now this would not work with AC at all, you could not for instance combine AC inverters unless they where built to syncronize phases.

take two EL cheepo battery chargers one red lead to a black one then read the output between the two units and you will see it is the same as I said. You can put two chargers in paralell why not series?

Started second guessing myself so I turned on two chargers I have, hooked them in series and Viola 28 volts from the negative of charger 1 to the positive of charger 2. It works for sure. dont hook them all togeather in a circle or you will get sparks! Ive done it.
Unless you have some really odd chargers it does work. DC is always additive in series as long as they are separatly derived systems. Two series chargers in series with two 12volt series batteries is 4 x 12 = 48+ volts or 2x14 (chargers) =28+ (2x12) (batts)=52 volts
It would in my case be 4-6volt batteries in series= 24 volts when they are in series its like one big battery they will all charge togeather. with the series supplies.

Best Regards,
Christian

Last edited by Christian; 09-22-2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Left some stuff out
Old 09-21-2010
Rockey Scientist

My bus has two chargers and I'm still not sure why unless one is for the gen and one is for the house.

Haven't looked at the wiring to see how they're configured yet. I'm just replacing the whole mess with a Xantrex instead.

I've never tried running chargers in series. Never seen a reason to. If the one charger wasn't enough I'd either get a larger unit or just wait it out.

While its true that they're both 12vdc output, I'd be leery of what happens in reverse inside the charger if something in the output rectification circuits went south. Remember that the transformer is 120vac ...

It could turn into one of these :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YXu_cwPwA

Gotta be careful playing with electricity. I had a 5kw Am radio transmitter put me on my *** once and all I did was point at something inside from about 3 inches away.

Forgot that humans are a great conductor to ground ...

"I won't do that again"
Old 09-21-2010
Tommy Two Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbucks13477 View Post
Tommy your comment "pure sine wave Magnum inverter/chargers to help with my problem of regularly burning out modern circuit boards and helping with pictures on new HDTV flat screens. They are fantastic. They are smarter than the old Freedom 25s (2,500 watts each with 150 amp chargers). They manage power for you based on your setup"
What makes the Magnum inverter/chargers "smarter" then the Freedom 25's and how do they "manage" power based on your setup? I have a Freedom 25 with a link 2000 and it is very intelligent and will do anything that I can imagine within the coach. I have not found a device yet that I use that it will not power fine.

Richard I dont see how you are going to use the Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to charge your 6VDC batteries? You cannot put chargers in series to get a different voltage output. What kind of UPS system do you have and what do you want to do with it?

One more question. How are you going to rewire your power selector to utilize an inverter? The power selector is wired for inputs to the main power panel?
Tom,

All I meant by that is I had no settings on my Freedom 25s to manage anything such as when the auto gen start comes on or exactly what volts were in the banks. All I had was red lights on a scale on the remotes. The Magnum user guide has many user controlled settings that I am just learning.

The Magnums detect the power source and automatically switch from inverting to charging based upon that determination. If the gen or shore power is on, it shuts off inverters and starts charging at the 3 levels dependingon the charge level of the batteries. If it loses power, it will start inverters and bring the AGS in play to charge if the charge is depleted. The level the AGS starts is a setting the user can change.

The Freedoms worked fine for me until I started upgrading the electronics in the appliances on board. Some did not like the modified sine wave and burned out the boards every six months or so. It was getting expensive. Many new flat screens do not like modified sine wave.

What I have noticed is a clearer picture on the HD flatscreens with the pure sine wave inverters. I expect the time on the clocks will stay true instead of falling behind. Otherwise, I would have kept the Freedoms until they died. Hoprefully, the appliance circuit board will last, too.

Tommy 'Two Shoes' McCarthy

GoneAway
2006 M450LXI
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe in the Carson Valley
Old 09-22-2010

Yep computers are very finicky thats why I'm using a ups cause they are made for expensive computers and they have a true sine wave and can be had cheap.

I just got my scope out to make sure 60 hz "true sine wave" should make all the electronics very happy.

I'm also a ham radio operator KD0EMI General class so I know about rf burns myself. Kindof hurt from the inside out!
Old 09-22-2010
Rockey Scientist

Our engineer had the door fail-safe jumpered open. I thought I would point out the tuning coil to a visitor during an explanation of amplitude modulation.

Never again.
Old 09-22-2010

I am so sorry. I can only imagine. Any skin burns?

I only got hit with 100 watts and I will see to it it doesn't happen again!

Kinda gives you an idea how a hotdog feels in a microwave!
Old 09-22-2010
Rockey Scientist

Heh.

Given the time period (the earrrrrrrrrrrrrrly 80's), my age then, and my propensity for "lighting one up" at the time, I'm sure I hardly noticed it.

But I was on the floor for about 15 minutes speaking "another language" from what I'm told.

Had I not gotten up off the floor of my own volition later, I'm sure they woiuld have scattered and plead the fifth.