Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 10-15-2010

Perfect! Excellent! Thanks Glen! Do you have Magnum inverter too? Any opinion there? Things you did or would do different? I'd really appreciate the advice, we share similar coaches and I could use all the help I can get! Did you have to play around much with the values on the AGS to get everything working right? ...or can I just copy those too! (Man, I love this site...)
Austin, Texas
Old 10-15-2010

Robert,

I have the Magnum MS2800. I pulled out the Redi-Line and made a few slight changes to the compartment to permit the MS2800 to fit.

I installed an A/C sub-panel below the main A/C panel in the wardrobe for all the circuits I moved over to the inverter.

Now I have all the outlets / TV / Icemaker etc on the inverter. When the batteries get too low, the AGS kicks in and recharges. Great for boondocking.

I'm using standard AGS settings. Let me know what settings you have questions on and I can let you know my configuration. I use the remote panel to control the inverter and the AGS. Just make sure your panel/inverter/AGS have the correct up-to-date firmware.

Regards,

Glenn
Old 10-22-2010
Senior

Marty you want to add your generator start to the control box. I believe in yours terminal 19 is the start terminal (receives a ground from the remote start switch) and terminal 20 is the stop terminal (receives a ground from the stop switch) which is a rocker switch inside the coach with the center terminal being ground and one end the start terminal and the opposite end the stop terminal.

So go to the generator control box on top of the generator and connect to the terminal strip inside. good luck
6V92
Old 10-25-2010
Rockey Scientist

By golly ... that's the clearest thing I've seen yet !

I'm dealing with a Xantrex AGS unit that doesn't interface with the glow plugs, but this sure looks like the stuff I need :

Start = Green
Run = Blue
Comm = Purple

I owe you one !
Old 09-25-2011
Rockey Scientist

Default Still no luck with Koehler/Xantrex combo.

I'm trying to wire a Xantrex Freedom SW into a 90's era Koehler 4TN82E with a Yanmar power genset using the Xantrex 20-wire AGS unit.

The factories have been little help.

Can anyone clue me in on the specific logic to the start/stop/pre-heat on the genset I mentioned ?

The Xantrex manual refers to *all* Koehlers as "2 wire" setups with momentary contact only needed to start. However it makes no provision for supplying any power/contact to the glow plug circuit.

I've traced the wiring at the remote switch above the drivers seat and determined the following :

Green = GenStart
Blue = The "on" lamp in the rocker switch
Purple = Common
Yellow = Pre-heat
Black = GenStop

I'm also told that the genset control box inside the compartment has two terminals (19) Start and (20) Stop.

The Xantrex guide is instructing me to connect to:

GenRun signal
Ground
Run

Can anyone makes head or tails out of that ?

I'm lost. And have a really expensive battery charger with lots of extra display panels and blinking lights ...
Old 09-25-2011
Rockey Scientist

After a little more reading in the manual, and the fact that my Kohler unit has a rocker switch (start/neutral/stop) it seems clear that *this* Kohler is a "3 wire" unit in contrast with the notation in the install manual that all Kohlers are 2 wire.

I'll keep tinkering unless anyone knows for sure from their own experimentation. If I figure it out (or burn something up trying) I'll update.

I configured and wired it to operate as a 3 wire type with glow plugs (which is what it is)... and I could hear all the relays in the AGS unit stepping, but it didn't crank the unit after the glow plug relay cycled. So I might have the wiring all done properly except that somehow there is no power getting thru the setup to actually make the plugs and starter engage ... so maybe I'm missing a voltage supply loop here somehow.

Maybe wiring direct to the genset instead of the wiring off the back of the interior rocker switch makes a difference ? That would seem odd ... but I'll try just about anything at this point.
Old 09-26-2011

Marty,

You are on the right track. Wiring it inside the coach is desirable. Less chance for corrosion or damage to the wiring this way.

It's a matter of selecting the proper generator type, and wiring it correctly.

You can use a volt meter to validate what your interior switch is doing when you press 'start', then make sure the AGS is replicating it.
Linden, Michigan
Old 11-01-2011
Rockey Scientist

Default XanTech interface with Kohler/Yanmar 12.5 genset. 1987 PT-40

I think I have all of my wiring connected properly, but I'm not getting any response from the genset when I try to manually start it from the Xantech remote panel.

I've connected to the existing genset remote control wiring overhead in the forward cavity over the drivers seat, because the runs are shorter and easier to get to.

Can someone confirm for me that the genset starts/stops by closing a circuit between those wires and genset GROUND ? That's what I'm working under the assumption of, tho it kind of argues with my general experience that things happen when closing to +vdc and not ground ...

I am attaching a couple of photos of the control box that is mounted to the top of the genset itself. The label gives the maker as "Engines and Generators" of Chesapeake VA ... they're no longer in biz as far as I can tell.

Anyone got a schematic for this dealy-bopper ? I'm tempted to run another set of wires from that box to the Xantech remote, but I'd rather not have *another* wire in the high heat environment that slides in and out. Seems like an eventual long term losing proposition.

Also, its a REAL PAIN getting to that control box on the genset .. even to look at it. Is there a way to get the genset to slide out a little more without having to use a crane ?

All help appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	label.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	13110   Click image for larger version

Name:	innards.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	13111  
Old 11-01-2011

Marty,

I think your approach for hooking up the Xantrex is proper. It's much easier to connect it to the interior wiring versus connecting at the generator itself.

My guess is, the 'start' function is not operated by grounding out the circuit. That doesn't sound right. My generator is different than yours, so I cannot verify. Have you put a volt meter on the circuit to see what the switch is doing? All you need to do is have the Xantrex module mimic what the physical start/stop switch does.
Linden, Michigan
Old 11-01-2011

I don't know if it will help, but in my photo album, I have a diagram that I wired into the start switch over the drivers head. This allows my Magnum AGS to start/stop/preheat my generator.

Glenn