Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 10-18-2010

Default Old Waterlines

waterlines on Birds
I have a question on waterlines. My coach which is a 91 SP has the old Quest gray pipes in it where all the 90 degree fittings are held bysome kind of a clamp. All this stuff is obsolete now and I wonder if I could adapt a new modern 1/2 in line to this old quest. I have a small leak in one of the fittings. Is the diameter the same as the new pipes which fit so nicely into these sharkbite connectors without leaking? Would like to know if anyone ever had an issue with old waterlines.
Old 10-18-2010

My local True Value hardware store carried adapter fittings to go from Quest to pex or PVC, last I checked. A larger plumbing supply shop may have the Quest fittings and compression rings. The tool required to crimp the rings is quite expensive but they also had a small very slow clamp type tool to compress the rings if you only need to do a few.
Old 10-18-2010

I recently bought the clamps and crimper at lowes. If you're coming to RATS, I'll have them with me.
Old 10-19-2010

Default old waterlines

Thank you guys for the info. I am unable to come to the RATS due to too many appointments, Doctorings, etc. I'll serach Lowe's and try some older Hardware stores. And there is always the clamps and hoses if properly used I think.
Old 10-19-2010
Former Bird Owner

Flair-It! makes fittings that adapt the grey pipe to PEX or to standard pipe thread.
Download a catalog here: http://www.escousa.net/flair-it/index.htm

The "Transition fittings" are shown at the URL:
http://www.escousa.net/flair-it/pexswivl.htm

Flair-It fittings are carried in some large home centers, but it varies by state due to differences in plumbing codes.

I'm sure you already know that the gray polybutylene plumbing was recalled from home construction some years ago when it was discovered that the stuff doesn't hold up under typical home water pressures. However, the lower water pressure in an RV has not resulted in the kinds of problems observed in home installations.

The fittings are very easy to work with -- they are what BB used when the plumbed my '95 -- and I used them when I modified the setup and replaced the domestic water pump (by converting that section to PEX).

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com