Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 11-26-2010

Default supplamental breaking

The original owner of my 85' PT40 took the OEM retarder off when he had the transmission rebuilt, We travel through the mountains alot and I really feel like I need something to held hold me back on the hills. Whats the best option? Jakes on the 6V92; trans retarder; I've heard good things about the Telma electro magnetic retarder. Any advice?
Old 11-26-2010

Default Braking assist.

My Bird has a Telma, works great will stop the rig by itself as smooth as airbrakes, almost as fast! The BlueBird Bus dealer here in Sacramento still installs them, my unit is a 1980 35FC stops on a dime, I'm very impressed with the airbrakes, and the telma Electro Brake. Used them both on the Sierras those are our local hills Sacramento is at 200 feet plus, the pass at Donner is 7000 feet these are big hills! Guess the question rest on how much for each, have questions feel free to ask. Oh the style of Telma I have is activated by a lever kinda like a small shifter has four position, low brake, med. braking, harder braking, and STOP right now, with a high low power selector this can be used without steping on the airbrakes perfect for downhill. I understand the new models work when you use the airbrakes in conjunction with not alone, kinda changes the way it works, I like my system cuse I don't have to tap the mechanical brakes at all heating them up! Hope I made some sense.
Philip
Old 11-26-2010
Administrator

Lots of info on this site on the Thelma, mounted on the FC drive shaft.
Do no think it will work on the rear pusher
Old 11-26-2010
Forum owner

theres no room for the thelma retarder on the PT series coach.
The engine Jake brake is what you want.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-27-2010

Thanks for the info guys, well sounds like the telma won't work on the PT so I guess we'll look at Jake's . Randy , Whats your experience? do Jake's hold back very good on a Detroit in a bus ? I got a few trucks around the farm here with detroit's in them and never thought they worked that good.
Old 11-27-2010
Forum owner

Well,I have had birds with Jakes,and birds with tranny retarders.

Like I told Curt Sprenger a year or so ago,if you ever drive a Bird with a Jake,you will throw rocks at the tranny retarders.

He reply back to me after he installed a Jake.
"i'm throwing rocks!"

The Jake works well,way better than the tranny retarder,way,way better.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-29-2010

Well thanks for the advice, I guess i'll be checking into Jakes. I remember the guy who I bought my bird from said that the outfit that put the new transmission in said that a transmission retarder will eventually cook any tranny because of extream heat build up.

Thanks again !
Old 11-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHD View Post
Well thanks for the advice, I guess i'll be checking into Jakes. I remember the guy who I bought my bird from said that the outfit that put the new transmission in said that a transmission retarder will eventually cook any tranny because of extream heat build up.

Thanks again !
Gents,

Great thread! Randy, I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Both myself, Bill and Vadie have retarders on our BBs and we have discussed their value of them for mountain driving. I assume cooking the tranny is possible if you are not watching your guages. Bill does alot of mountian driving and I would like him to weigh in on how his retarded works.

Us "flat landers" do not use them much as we live life in the "vast lane" and have lots of room to stop but if we ever get into mountian driving it would be nice to know the ins and outs of using the retarders.

With Randy's above comments in mind, if my retarder ever went out I most likely will take the jake brake route.
Old 11-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Well,I have had birds with Jakes,and birds with tranny retarders.

Like I told Curt Sprenger a year or so ago,if you ever drive a Bird with a Jake,you will throw rocks at the tranny retarders.

He reply back to me after he installed a Jake.
"i'm throwing rocks!"

The Jake works well,way better than the tranny retarder,way,way better.
Randy is right on. Save the tranny from over heating, install the Jakes. I've posted info. before on Jake pricing, via Dan Sunderland...used/rebuilt/new...good pricing. I believe it's on WOG somewhere.. Here it is again.

Vance & Ray (son) Butler are the 92 Series guys. They have new/rebuilt/used Jakes. Lots of other parts as well. Vance 619-672-7009, retired and working 70 hours a week when I bought my Jakes. Ray, aka "Doctor Detroit" will install the Jakes 619-654-1143. Call either of them. Ray, will tune you engine while installing the Jakes. Want to boost the HP, he'll do that too...just ask. His install price is about 2/3s of the dealer price. Both of these guys know the 92 series inside and out. Besides the Jakes you will need the taller valve covers and new gaskets...the Butler's may have them. Good luck.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 11-30-2010

Curt and Randy are correct, the Jake brake is the right way to go, if one had extra cash.
I have driven with the tranny retarder and it does an adequate job, one has to keep the speed down etc and then the tranny will not heat up as much.

I would love to have a 3 position Jake brake on my coach, especially since I tow the trailer all of the time.