Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Parts and Other Items For Sale

Parts and Other Items For Sale Have a part or other item that you want to sell? List it here.

Site Search:

Old 01-14-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
As I said in the first post, Make me an offer!

TOM
Seriously, Last summer I paid $700.00 for a 12.5 KW Perkins/Kohler Wanderlodge generator (Gold) that was functional less the radiator and fan.

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 01-14-2011
Black Sheep Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
Seriously, Last summer I paid $700.00 for a 12.5 KW Perkins/Kohler Wanderlodge generator (Gold) that was functional less the radiator and fan.
What was wrong with your old one? Maybe I should be trying to BUY one instead of SELL one!

I already bought a rebuilt (in pieces) Kohler 12.5 head but it is the old style & the new controls won't work without a LOT of retrofitting. It's a shame too because that one has everything either new or rebuilt to new specs.

TOM
Old 01-14-2011

put a stamford newage backend on it bolts right up and they are reliable
control boxes can be had for cheap and then you have dependable Generator

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 01-14-2011
Forum owner

I may have a sale on your genny,give me an hour or so.
Also,look for my new thread on how to destroy a kohler generator.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-14-2011
Black Sheep Division

Arrow New Info on Kohlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I may have a sale on your genny,give me an hour or so.
Also,look for my new thread on how to destroy a kohler generator.

I saw that thread and that's a shame. I would like to sell mine but I hate to sell it because of a misfortune like that.

I found out some interesting info today on Kohler generators. Maybe this is already well known but it was news to me.

My son works for the HVAC division of a company that has one of the largest motor rewinding shops in the country. For some reason I didn't even think to ask him about rewinding my stator.... I had a senior moment I guess. Anyway my son called that division & talked to the head of the shop. He's been there about 40 years. He said Kohler has used many, many different manufacturers for the generator heads over the years, They have a terrible reputation, not so much for construction or service, but within the manufacturing community. They evidently will use a manufacturer and make them replace generators that fail, whether or not it was a manufacturing problem. Finally the manufacturer gets fed up & refuses to honor frivolous claims & Kohler will switch to another supplier. They have done this at least every 2 years since this guy has been in the business. He said sometimes the manufacturer doesn't last 1 whole year. The end result of this is I was wasting my time to try to find used parts to match what I have unless they were made (year wise) pretty close together. He said buying something that matches mine would be pretty much dumb luck!

(cue Clint Eastwood "You look dumb, but are you LUCKY, PUNK!")

So now I am really undecided. This afternoon I thought about loading everything up in the 'Bird & driving the whole works into the Bay. I found an MC7 with a big cam 400 Cummins and an Allison 740 that I really like.

Just venting a little here.........

TOM
Old 01-14-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
What was wrong with your old one? Maybe I should be trying to BUY one instead of SELL one!

I already bought a rebuilt (in pieces) Kohler 12.5 head but it is the old style & the new controls won't work without a LOT of retrofitting. It's a shame too because that one has everything either new or rebuilt to new specs.

TOM

Tom,

The main culprit with the 12.5 KW Kohler is they hang down very low and have a tendancy to get hammered with curbs and stuff in an FC installation. They are great generators but tend to be noisy and leak oil. I changed mine out to a smaller much quieter Onan commercial unit (see picture) You can see the entire changeout under generators and then generator change. I got an additional storage locker to boot with a little extra work. The 12.5 Kohler in my PT is just fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_4779.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	477.6 KB
ID:	8186  

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 01-14-2011
Forum owner

The gennie that fell out was an Onan,the coach is a 31 or 33 footer,so the slide out of a 35' will not work and he really needs a new slide,and a smaller gennie.
Hes talking about a new honda or something.
Depends on his insurance company too.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-15-2011

Default Generator

I have heard the same thing about the more recent years of Kohler motors from a good friend who is a small engine mechanic, they work on some commercial cement cutters etc with Kohler motors and can never get the right parts to repair the units especially the heads and have had to replace the motors for lack of the right parts not being available. I just picked up my newly installed Onan generator 7500 diesel in my 1977 FC35, I took a few quick pictures with my phone sorry they are different angles I will be taking some better ones with a proper camera. We had to install a new tray because the old one was pretty rusted and put cutouts Pic 5 underneath to change oil and get at filters etc also we used Onan slides it fit in really well and the exhaust exits on the opposite side of coach and the exhaust pipe slides through a support guide. Sorry had to show pictures I am a newbie at all this stuff and get excited with every new addition, most of you this is old hat to most of you thanks for putting up with me ha ha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	-14.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	8187   Click image for larger version

Name:	-13.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	8188   Click image for larger version

Name:	-11.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	8189   Click image for larger version

Name:	-7.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	8190   Click image for larger version

Name:	-10.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	8191   Click image for larger version

Name:	-12.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	8192  
Old 01-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Woodcock View Post
Sorry had to show pictures I am a newbie at all this stuff and get excited with every new addition, most of you this is old hat to most of you thanks for putting up with me ha ha.
Jim nice pictures... I wanted to see one with the door closed too!
Nice Job...
Old 06-23-2011
Senior

How many of you fellows that believe the 12.5KW Kohler/Perkins diesel is noisey have actually listened to the same diesel that has had the injectors rebuilt ( I mean they have been used for only 20-25 years), the injector pump recalibrated and the insulation replaced with good quality insulation? For instance listen to shanes Perkins purr not roar. I have listened to this same argument since I bought a BB and often wonder how many of the people that make these arguments either own them, understand how to work on them and understand why the Perkins diesels are absolutely bullet proof if you properly maintain them. Are they dripping oil? Sure they are and after that many years how many diesels would not be. None that I have had. So add a few cheap gaskets and some insulation, get the injectors rebuilt and the injection pump rebuilt and/or recalibrated and you will have one of the very best diesel engines on the market. Who uses them, shrimp boats, sail boats, london taxis, Massey Ferguson farm tractors, road graders and a host of heavy duty off the road equipment. I just cannot imagine throwing away one of these fine engines and replacing it with a cheaper, much lighter diesel.
If you want to park next to a church and want something quiet then do what Shane did (the original generator is fine if it is still electrically alright) and add a exhaust stack again like shane has and you can contemplate your navel and sit 20 feet from it well almost
6V92