Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 02-17-2011
ANOTHER REDNECK

There aint nothing like just pulling over parking and starting a gen set having everything a house has and it will travel 75 mph too!

I put about 500 hr on the gen set the last yr
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 02-17-2011

Man, everyone here makes good points. I guess it all comes down to personal preference and how much we dry camp vs camp grounds. I DO run my gen quite a bit because we are almost constantly on the move. While here in Vegas, we've been visiting relatives so we stayed in an RV park for the past 4 nights.
Once back on the road tomorrow, we be using the gen again. (Heading back to Q)
Since it's true that most wear on an engine happens during start up, does anyone run any sort of oil additive. Like graphite, STP, or any of the other items on the market. Does anyone run synthetic oil in their gen.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 02-17-2011
Timberlake Products Group

But Woody, not too many of us have a Cummins powered rocket sled like your SP

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 02-18-2011

I run synthetic in gen, so did FO. I believe it saved engine problems, when my air filter was plugged and the over heat shut down failed because of a bubble in the coolant at the sensor. The good old Kubota got very, very hot, pegged coolant temp gauge. No apparent damage. (The bubble analysis came from Powertech tech support). Gen now has 1300 hours.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 02-18-2011

Corey.
I agree that most wear is on start up, and the new way is to fast warm the engine, unlike the old days when you were supposed to let it warm up first. Having said that, the pistons wear each time they move.... warm or cold.
I also agree that it's better to run an engine than to let it sit. Either way, you pay.
Old 02-18-2011

I struggle to think of the last time I actually wore an engine out. I think it was a 78 Caprice with the soft 305 camshaft that wore the lobes off at 100K. I really struggle to think of what it would take to wear a Kubota 4 cyl. out!

I can't even wear out a 15 year old Shindaiwa weed whacker 2 stroke that I sometimes have put straight gas in by mistake. I've read a number of posts here from unfortunate WOG members who had catastrophic failures, but can't say I have read of one BB engine "wearing" out. I'm limiting the term "wear out" to a critical component failure due to excessive normal wear.

A friend of mine who is an over the road long haul trucker did warn me that the Series 60 DD is billed as a million mile motor, but he didn't get to experience that. He threw a rod at 999,400 miles. His wife had just warned him to keep an eye on the odo as they were about to hit the magical number..... sadly not. He rebuilt it, went another 600K and sold it still running.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 02-18-2011

I have a very good friend that is a fish farmer. Their farms are in isolated outposts along the west coast here. Their generators, that are normally between 7KVA and 20KVA, that power the houses and farms usually last between 20,000 and 25,000 hours before a rebuild. They used to run them 24/7 but now run them 8 hrs or so a day and use battery banks and inverters the rest of the time.
I don't think that many Rv generators wear out from use, I suspect the biggest enemy is lack of use. My father had a little 4KVA gen in his Rialta MH and after 15 years it had 100 hours. It required extensive repairs before he sold the MH, obviously from lack of use.
I do believe that most MH generators suffer fron lack of use, I know mine does. I might get 100 hours a year, but as I have said I am not retired yet. My coach is 15 years old and has 1100 hrs on the gen, If I get 20,000 hrs on the gen it will take 265 years by my math.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmarycamilleri View Post
If I get 20,000 hrs on the gen it will take 265 years by my math.

Some very interesting posts. I have always wondered why if you don't use it you loose it... applies to a machine...

I have tried to think of cause and effect and can't come up with much.

Perhaps oxidation of exposed components normally coated with oil. For stators and the like... perhaps moisture seeps into the resin/insulator.
Dirt accumulation wasp nests etc...on key components...
Mice chewing on stuff... general decay... ozone?

I really don't consider any of these would contribute much to the lifespan of a unused machine.. very curious indeed.

A million mile engine would have run for 16,000 hours... That's two years 24/7.

I wonder if we had electric pre-oilers and oil/coolant pre-heaters, using our gennys to preheat/oil our diesels? Think it would prolong their lives?

They say 90% of the engine wear occurs in the first 10 minutes...
Old 02-18-2011

Gen sets run 10,000 hrs. then a scheduled top end, then at 20,000 hrs. we do inframe rebuilds. Have had the same blocks for 30 years...Keep your genny loaded up, do no let it run unloaded, it is really bad for it. Machinery is designed to run, not sit. Our worst times with machinery problems is after the boat has sat tied up for awhile. Every thing gets stuck, or dry...keep using it. Gotta let a race horse run....:-)

Capt. Jack
Author: "You Can't Make This Stuff Up"
My Thirty years as Captain in the Bering Sea
Old 02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Some very interesting posts. I have always wondered why if you don't use it you loose it... applies to a machine...

I have tried to think of cause and effect and can't come up with much.

Perhaps oxidation of exposed components normally coated with oil. For stators and the like... perhaps moisture seeps into the resin/insulator.
Dirt accumulation wasp nests etc...on key components...
Mice chewing on stuff... general decay... ozone?

I really don't consider any of these would contribute much to the lifespan of a unused machine.. very curious indeed.

A million mile engine would have run for 16,000 hours... That's two years 24/7.

I wonder if we had electric pre-oilers and oil/coolant pre-heaters, using our gennys to preheat/oil our diesels? Think it would prolong their lives?

They say 90% of the engine wear occurs in the first 10 minutes...

Christian, we have block heaters on all engines, they are easy to plumb into the water lines. We also use a pre-lube starter system on the big engine. It takes about 90 seconds to get up to 20 lbs. of oil pressure and it will light off. Warm oil with pressure on the first roll.
The rebuild schedule is the same as the gennys. 10k hours is top end. Heads, turbos, ect. 20k hours is in frame rebuild.

I know this is not RV stuff, but thought I could show you what constant service engines are doing.

Capt. Jack
Author: "You Can't Make This Stuff Up"
My Thirty years as Captain in the Bering Sea