Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlercap View Post
Christian, we have block heaters on all engines, they are easy to plumb into the water lines. We also use a pre-lube starter system on the big engine. It takes about 90 seconds to get up to 20 lbs. of oil pressure and it will light off. Warm oil with pressure on the first roll.
The rebuild schedule is the same as the gennys. 10k hours is top end. Heads, turbos, ect. 20k hours is in frame rebuild.

I know this is not RV stuff, but thought I could show you what constant service engines are doing.
That is good service.

I assume the intervals are designed to avoid failure?

Thanks for the reply
Old 02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Some very interesting posts. I have always wondered why if you don't use it you loose it... applies to a machine...

I have tried to think of cause and effect and can't come up with much.

Perhaps oxidation of exposed components normally coated with oil. For stators and the like... perhaps moisture seeps into the resin/insulator.
Dirt accumulation wasp nests etc...on key components...
Mice chewing on stuff... general decay... ozone?
Could it be.....lack of Love?

I think you hit some of the high points on your list Christian, but I've also thought consistent heat cycling may keep the seals and gaskets seated as well as vulcanizing the rubber parts. This is just conjecture in trying to think of that cause-effect, but it adds up in my little mind.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlercap View Post
Christian, we have block heaters on all engines, they are easy to plumb into the water lines. We also use a pre-lube starter system on the big engine. It takes about 90 seconds to get up to 20 lbs. of oil pressure and it will light off. Warm oil with pressure on the first roll.
The rebuild schedule is the same as the gennys. 10k hours is top end. Heads, turbos, ect. 20k hours is in frame rebuild.

I know this is not RV stuff, but thought I could show you what constant service engines are doing.
Cap'n Jack, Have you ever heard of a LISTER slow turning diesel? In some of the info I read they were used in ships to power generators or pumps and would run 24/7 for forty years without stopping. Very simple or crude design and looked like an upright steam engine. Huge flywheels, exposed pushrods, hydro siphon cooling, no electrics just fuel, very few parts. The basic design is from the 1920's.

-Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 02-18-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
Hello all,
Has anyone ever broken down the cost of dry camping and using the generator a few hours twice a day to keep a large battery bank charged, VS paying a nominal fee for an RV park. Now I realize that some RV parks are quite pricey now, but there are still some that are reasonable. Especially around places like Las Vegas (which is where we are now).

I have to wonder what the cost difference would be for diesel fuel at current prices VS an RV park with electric included in the fees.

I realize there are certainly a lot of variables to take into consideration, but on a general basis, I wonder which way is cheaper to travel.

This is using the 12.5KW - 4 cylinder gen.

I think that this thread is starting to suffer from the THREAD DRIFTING PLAGUE and is getting away from the original question that Don asked that I felt was very valid and one that most of our members can relate to, please keep this discussion related to our current generators that are found in our 'Birds.

I would suggest that a new thread be started about the design issues of Generators and ideas about how to improve them.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-18-2011

Default gen oil

Morey, you said you run synthetic. Do you use a 15-40 designed for diesels or do you use something else. since these little 4 cylinder engines are not exactly considered "heavy duty" engines, is 15-40 needed. And how many hours between changes do you do. I'm getting ready for a gen oil change soon and will probably go synthetic. And is anyone using an additive of any type. Is it even needed with synthetic.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 02-18-2011

Default Generator usage

Hi group
an interesting discussion.

I am currently living full time off the grid on an equipment watch job.
The first 3 weeks were unusually warm (60s) Jan to last week.
I was trying to compute the expense of running the genset for heat
(electric oil filled heaters) and keeping my old batteries up. 4-6 hrs usage per day at 1/2 gal per hour....

Now I'm snowed in (since Tuesday) 2200 ft level and using the genset more often. The propane furnaces are all dead. Figured for now I can buy a lot of diesel for the cost of replacing all 3 furnaces.
Plus it's not like I can just drive down the road a few miles and get propane. I am 23 miles up a BLM logging road. Paved mostly, one lane mostly, with turnouts.

So these last few days I've been using the genset more 8 hrs or so, keeping cozy warm and glad I hadn't removed that ugly shag carpet yet and replaced with wood or tile....that would be really cold.
The crew pumped me 75 gals of diesel free the other day so I can use it all I need to keep things warm.

Anyway been going thru my brothers service records on the bird. He obviously used the genset a lot. Some minor repairs along the way.

He bought the bus in 1990 (it had sat in the bank repo lot for over 4 years before he bought it as the second owner, it had 140 hrs on the genset and 1040 hrs on the cat engine. (The cat engine blew at 1174 hrs-- vandalism the at the repo lot?)
When I took over the bus in 2004 it had 4491 hrs on the genset and 3870 hrs on the cat engine hour meter.

The other day the genset hour meter turned to 5000 hours, running strong.
Steady and trouble free for now. Use it I figure that's what it's for.
(I'd rather be using it to run the A/C down south but couldn't make it this year....)

So JP/s White Bird has been in the family for over 20 years and still going strong. Any one else had theirs that long?

Regards
Rose Mary
Oregon
1982 FC
JP'S White Bird
In a snowstorm, in the coast range 2200ft. level

Rose Mary
82 turbo FC 35
JP's White Bird
SW Oregon
Old 02-18-2011

RoseMary,

Wow! I would LOVE a job like that! Not looking to beat you out of anything but, how would a guy like me find something like that?

Boy that would be awesome. How long do you stay put? Do they let you go during the workday.

The cost of running a genny for many hours might add up. Another thought some had with making their gennys more efficient was to hook it into the chassis heat loop the genny would pump the heat and if it came back hot it would cool in the radiator... especially if you are running 5 or more hours a day... You would use less fuel for heating the electric heaters and the genny would give extra free heat.
RoseMary you might think about catalytic heater... uses propane... One of our senior members used one quite a bit. Also if you want to save fuel in the distant future you might consider a wabasto in connection with your chassis heat.

Last edited by Christian; 02-18-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Mary View Post
So JP/s White Bird has been in the family for over 20 years and still going strong. Any one else had theirs that long?
I've had mine for 2258 days, but who's counting.