Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 03-03-2011
Got One

Default No fuel

Hey all,

I messed around with the genny today. The manual pump is pushing fuel to all the bleed points, except where the fuel lines dispurse to the atomizer/injectors. There is no fuel coming out of the tubes. What should I try next? Other than that, its been a balmy 19 degrees here, perfect for working on the genny outside
Old 03-03-2011

I don't believe the manual pump will push fuel through the lift pump. When I needed to bleed a Perkins I bled air out all the ports as required in the manual. (I used an electric pump and not the manual one) When that was done and I had bled out the air all the way to the high pressure lift pump, I loosened (Do not remove) two of the four injector "B" nuts and spun the starter. As the air bled out, the engine started on those two cylinders. I retorqued the nuts and the engine smoothed out as the remaining lines were purged.

Worked for me.

This advice is worth what you paid for it.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 03-05-2011
Got One

My Perkins has the type of fuel filter that is sandwiched between the filter mounts, not a spin on (dang Brits). I don't have any pictures in my manual showing this type of filter, consequently, I don't know where the bleed screw is, but it appeares that it is full of fresh fuel. The injection pump must be the manual type (not hydroilic). When I open the top bleed screw, I get a good spurt of fuel out of it when I depress the manual fuel pump lever, but I get no flow when I open the bottom one, and no flow through the injector tubes/lines. I can spin that starter all day long and not even get a dribble of fuel in the lines. How do you hook up a pump to help prime the system, and what kind do you use?
Old 03-05-2011
Gardner

You can't push fuel through the injection pump. You need to crank the starter with the fuel solenoid open. The injection pump will push fuel to the injectors via the tubes. Cracking the connections open slightly at the injectors will allow the air to be purged while cranking or running.

The pump on the side near the filter is the 'lift pump', the large unit on the other side is the 'injection pump'.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-05-2011
Got One

How do I know for sure if the fuel solenoid is open?
Old 03-05-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
My Perkins has the type of fuel filter that is sandwiched between the filter mounts, not a spin on (dang Brits). I don't have any pictures in my manual showing this type of filter, consequently, I don't know where the bleed screw is, but it appeares that it is full of fresh fuel. The injection pump must be the manual type (not hydroilic). When I open the top bleed screw, I get a good spurt of fuel out of it when I depress the manual fuel pump lever, but I get no flow when I open the bottom one, and no flow through the injector tubes/lines. I can spin that starter all day long and not even get a dribble of fuel in the lines. How do you hook up a pump to help prime the system, and what kind do you use?

There is all kinds of information about your Perkins found on the forum under;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators > Perkins Genset Engine & Kohler Manuals and Information >

PERKINS FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT.pdf
A PDF file article by George Witt, detailing how to change the fuel filter on a Perkins generator engine. Plus a photo tip on priming the fuels system on the Perkins engine.
PerkensBleedpoints.pdf
DESCRIPTION OF BLEED POINTS FOR PERKINS GENSET ENGINE FROM MY COPY OF THE ORIGINAL WANDERLODGE FORUM FILE
Remember if you can't find it in your Blue Box manuals, it may be found here on the forum.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-05-2011
Got One

Thanks John, but I've printed out that info, and read it, but I still can't seem to get any fuel up through those injector lines.
Old 03-05-2011

Sorry I don't have a Perkins so I don't have a picture of one right now.

However, adjacent to the fuel injection pump with the four steel lines coming out of it and going to the fuel injectors, it should have a fuel shut off solonoid on the injection pump or nearby. It should have some wires connected to it.

Have we determined if it is opening and allowing fuel to enter the injection pump?

Not sure it it does but, if it has an exposed plunger does it retract when attemping to start the genny?

Perhaps some one with a perkins can clarify this.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 03-09-2011
Got One

Well guys, after doing everything that I know how to do to get fuel to come through the injector lines, I have failed This genny worked before I jelled up outside of Yankton, SD in December, so the only thing that was done was to replace the fuel filter The solenoid seems to be working, but I don't think the pre-heat is. I spoke with a guy at "Zips Injection Pump Service" and he seems to think I have a bunch of air in there and it needs to be pumped out by using the starter. He said it was rare that the injection pump would have a metering problem, but they do work on the Perkins systems. I have been turning this genny over and over and over, but always the same result, NO FUEL coming through the lines. Yesterday after trying many more times to get fuel out of the injection lines, I was standing there scratching my head as to why I couldn't, when all of the sudden the genny started turning over without me touching it!! It was trying to ghost start I grabbed a wrench and took off the negative battery cable, but it continued to turn over (much slower though), I then grabbed a 5/8" wrench and carefully took off the positive cable at the starter solenoid, the whole time with the thing still turning over. To say the least, this scared the $%&! out of me What the heck is going on I had a 1986 Harley FLHT that use to do this to me once in awhile and it was determined that it was caused by having a low battery Could this be the same reason, or do I have Poltergeist & Demons trying to complicate my goals now Anybody know a good Excersist with Perkins Diesel mechanical abilities
Old 03-09-2011

Rich- it sounds to me like the fuel solenoid is not opening, but to be sure, can you try running 12V directly to the solenoid with a test lead from the large nut on the starter? You should hear a "click" when you do this. If your Lucas CAV injection pump is like mine, the solenoid is threaded into the side of the injection pump at the rear. It has two wires- ground and hot. Also, just to be thorough - are you loosening the large injector nuts or are you loosening the return lines on top of each injector? The fuel supply nuts are on the sides of each injector and measure 5/8" I seem to recall. There are also two 1/4" screws on the side of the injection pump and the side of the governor housing on top of the pump. Loosen the bottom one and work the lever on your lift pump and then once it squirts, close it up and loosen the one on the governor housing until it squirts a stream (no bubbles). Sometimes it's easier to do this with a helper.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912