Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 03-09-2011
95 WB 42

Follow Shane's advice on starting also you need to rebuild or replace the starter sol. if it sticks internally could cause "phantom" cranking.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 03-09-2011
Forum owner

Rich.
Shane is right about the starter relay or solenoid.
This may be your problem.
What you have in the solenoid is a 2 function relay.
Not only does it run the starter but when starting it also supplies power to the fuel shut off on the injection pump.
It does this by supplying power from one of the small wires o the solenoid to the fuel shut off.
Inside the solenoid you will find a small brass spring that energizes the wire.
That brass spring will burn off and you end up with a no start situation.
That solenoid is a very common item,make sure you buy a made in USA delco.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-09-2011
Got One

Shane, I'm getting good squirts of fuel from the two small bleeders on the injection pump & governor, and I'm opening the fuel injection line nuts with my 5/8" wrench. I took out the fuel solenoid and hooked bench tested it by hooking it to a 12v battery. The plunger pulled inward approx. 1/2". I'll try jumping to it from the starter motor solenoid once I take Randy's advice and replace the starter solenoid. It scared the heck out of me when it started cranking over by itself with wires starting to get hot and smoke until I could get it to stop Is this starter motor solenoide a common part Randy, I went to NAPPA to try and get a new fuel solanoid, but they couldn't find any part numbers, or reference numbers, and using the ones stamped into the part didn't seem to help them. Do you have any numbers handy Thanks alot for all your guy's help with this
Old 03-09-2011
Forum owner

your fuel solenoid is good.
the starter solenoid is common,its a delco part,replace it with delco.not chi-com.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-09-2011
Got One

Super...I'll replace that starter motor solenoid on friday and then see if I can get the bugger to prime up Thanks again ya'all for the advice
Old 03-09-2011
Forum owner

I bet its all primed up now,fix the starter and start it up!
Heres a tip.
When changing the genny fuel filter make sure the gaskets are in place,and then look on the top of the filter,theres 3-4 lines coming and going,look and you will see some arrows (no indians) .
The arrows show the fuel flow.
Find the arrow thats pointing out of the filter,loosen that line and then pump with the hand primer on the fuel pump until clear fluid comes out,tighten the line and your good to go.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-11-2011
Got One

Well gentlemen, I replaced the starter solenoid this morning and tried to get fuel to pump through the injector tubes, but nothing happened I then took the fuel shut off solenoid out again and hooked it up and had my other half hit the starter switch. It only pulled in a little bit. I then took it into the garage to hook it up to a battery. It barely did anything on a good battery? Do these things either work, or they don't, or can they have intermittent failure The dang fuel will just not pump up into the lines
Old 03-11-2011

We'll, since we're this far down the rabbit hole, I'll share a few more places to check- but if you are not well-versed on injection systems, then I'd recommend just taking it to a shop that rebuilds injection pumps. They will have the know-how and can probably get this solved in a matter of a few hours. IF the pump needs to be rebuilt (AND IT PROBABLY WON'T), it should cost around $500.

On the other hand, if you are feeling lucky, here's what you need to do- On the sides of the injection pump are four fittings that go to each injector. There's also a fuel line that feeds the pump and a return line that comes from the front end. The feeder line is the one closest to the back end and it's a bigger pipe than the injector lines. If you are comfortable removing the injection pump from the motor and know how to mark the timing, etc... there is a basket filter on the back of the pump where the fuel supply feeds into the unit. That basket is meant to catch any flakes of rubber or other material. You have to be extremely careful at this point- there's a check ball and some other parts that have to be removed in a precise order to get to the filter. It's also really hard to work with the steel fuel lines- they have clamps that hold them together and make them resistant to bending or flexing. There are rubber seals in the seat of the fuel supply and return line that you want to take care not to damage.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 03-11-2011
Got One

I'm starting to feel depressed and somewhat defeated I've been at it for awhile using just my limited knowledge and suggestions from all you great guys. I'm going to try one last thing. I ordered a new fuel shut off solenoid today from Superior Diesel in hopes that this will help. If not, I guess I'm gonna learn about injection pumps
Old 03-11-2011

Aww heck- don't feel bad. My genny made a real schlub outta me last year. It just goes with the territory. I'd never know what I do now if it had not been for my problems last year. She (the Perkins) runs like a champ now and if/when she doesn't, I know exactly what to check. It's all part of the learning curve. Too bad you're up there in no-mans land or we'd have a new project for the Birds at the Beach rally.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912