Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 08-22-2017

Default 15KW Powertech stopped today

I went to warm up the generator to change the oil. I started it up to warm the oil and I started working in one of the bays while it ran. After about 10 minutes it acted like it was starved for fuel and died. I tried to restart but it only hit on a couple of cylinders and died again.

I thought, Oh well, the oil is warm, I'll change it. After changing oil and filter, I tried to start again, but no go. It still acted like no fuel. I changed the fuel filter and got some help to crank it while I watched what was going on. I could hear that little electric fuel pump working during preheat, but I have no idea if its building enough pressure. I also noticed that the return line is leaking on the hose that connects to the side bulkhead.

So, I've pulled the feed and return hoses and I'll have those made up tomorrow. But I'm still questioning that electric fuel pump. I see on the forum that others have had issues with those so I think I'll pick up an Airtex pump at parts store tomorrow as well.

Right now I have a FACET E11*72245*9554*0535*03 pump on there but my book calls for a 476459 pump which is a different looking Facet pump (probably the new version). On the Powertech site they call out this Airtex pump as the replacement for all of their generators so I think that would be the easiest to find.

Any other tips/tricks? I guess if it was going to act up, I'd rather have it happen the driveway than when I really needed it.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 08-23-2017

New lines so there is no possible air leak. Bleed the fuel line to the injectors, there's a little petcock (bypass) you open while the pump is clicking and shut before you let the pump stop. It's a 2 person job. If that doesn't work, watch the fuel shut off to see if it's shutting the generator down or if it pulls back after the gen stops (you can check it with a volt meter of you can't tell by eye.
I had a similar sounding issue and it turned out to be a bad low oil pressure sensor cutting off power to the fuel shut off. I had a lot of trouble figuring out what the issue was. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2017

Yes, it could be getting air that's why I'm replacing both lines. The fuel shut off is opening fully while cranking so no issue there. I'll get the lines on there and bleed as you suggest then put the new pump on if that doesn't do it.
Thanks.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 08-23-2017

The fuel shut off gets power through the switch when you crank the engine. Once the engine is running, the power to it is held by a circuit that goes through several sensors, low coolant (up by the expansion tank) and low oil pressure (down by the starter)sensors included. Anything on that circuit shuts down the gen.
Check what the fuel cut off is doing as the engine stops.
Old 08-23-2017
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Just to make sure, do you have enough fuel in the tank, some 'Birds will no supply fuel to the generator beyond a certain level in the fuel tank.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-23-2017

Installed the new lines tonight and the new fuel pump. She's up and running again!!

Apparently that old pump was weak or not pumping. I replaced it with a $44 pump from Napa, part #E8012.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan