Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 06-23-2010

Default Yanmar/Kohler Problem

14.5 Yanmar/Kohler stuffed into my 82FC by PO. Kohler dealer did this replacement to save face with my brother-in-law so he could sell the rig to me. One yr his kohler people fooled him around trying to fix the 12.5 Kohler/Perkins until they compromised on the used 14.5 Y/K.

Yanmar/ Kohler worked great for about 30 hours over 4 mo period and then on an extreemly hot day it stoped running in my driveway after working fine for about one hour.

Checked crank oil - full Checked coolant- full rad and exp tank Has manual belt fan which turns. Screws all tight in control box.

Engin will start but immediatly gets signal to pull back fuel soinoid. If you start and hold the solinoid open it stays running until you let go.

don't know exact proceedure to test low oil pressure sender or high coolant temp sender

Don't know how to test relays in control box either.

Any and all tips appreciated.

Mike Trout

Mike & Adrienne Trout
Pasadena, MD
82 FCSB 35'
FMCA 64467s
Old 06-23-2010
Administrator

IF you are convinced it is not overheating, after it shuts down remove the wire from the safety sensors and try to find if one is defective,
Old 06-23-2010

Thanks Bill - Are you back in MI or still in Titusville? We enjoyed meeting you. Wish we could have visited longer.

Don't think it's overheating. Starts but goes straight to shuting off when block is cold. Never lost coolant the hot day when I first encountered trouble.

Won't unplugging both sensor wires create complete resistance to ground. The beter question is: does the regulator want to recieve an ohm range of resistance from each of the two safety sensors for safe operation. If it is a range say 40 to 90 ohms then do you have to create that range to test and does that mean replaceing each sensor with a new one just to rule out the existing ones by default. Clearly, I'm not fond of the replace a part and see if that fixes it method.

Mike & Adrienne Trout
Pasadena, MD
82 FCSB 35'
FMCA 64467s
Old 06-23-2010

Have you checked the voltage to the shut off solenoid? How about grounds?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 06-23-2010
Senior

Take the wire off the oil pressure sensor and ground it and see if the engine keeps running. If it does replace the sensor. If not then pull the wire off the coolant sensor and ground it and see if that works. If the fan goes on then the control box should be alright. Open the control box however and tighten all of the screws on the terminal strip. Sometimes these vibrate loose enough to cause the problem you have.
6V92
Old 06-23-2010

I would verify it was not overheated with an infared heat gun. If it was you would know by the hot smell and sound of metal getting hot and expanding. Oil pressure can be checked with a remote guage. Are you sure the fuel supply is adequate? Do you have a fuel pump that is inop? Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 06-24-2010
Senior

Cant be an overheating problem for it only runs for seconds. He says that by holding in the fuel solenoid it will keep running but as soon as he lets off it then the engine stops. Thats a control issue not fuel, or overheating, or its not producing 240VAC. If the sensors are fine then its a control box problem.
Mike do you have the Kohler manual for your generator that gives the diagrams for your control box? It will also have an outline of exactly how the control box works and the sequence. You did not tell me yet whether your fan comes on when you hold the fuel solenoid is held in. If it doesnt then your generator is not producing 240VAC. Thats another whole problem but we are getting ahead of ourselves now
6V92
Old 06-24-2010

Thanks Tom,
Fan is manual not electric and it turns when Yanmar runs by holding solinoid. I did try grounding both protection sensors and this did not keep the motor running. Suspect it is the controller. I have the diagram in the operation manual but nothing is explained.

Mike & Adrienne Trout
Pasadena, MD
82 FCSB 35'
FMCA 64467s
Old 06-24-2010

While your holding the fuel solenoid in to keep it running, is it producing 120 volts??
Westchester Sandblast
Old 06-24-2010
Gardner

Before you go nuts, put a volt meter on the fuel solenoid connection. If it is less than 12 volts it may not hold. We had the same problem with Dan Leftwich's coach two weeks ago. It turned out to be loose connections on a terminal strip in the control box.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey