Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-12-2019
Mikenjackie's Avatar
Mikenjackie Mikenjackie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Full-timing
Posts: 479
Default Retarder question

Hope someone can shed light on this for me, On my new-ish-to-me WB with an exhaust retarder brake, I have a question:
When I engage the retarder on a downgrade, it does the job really well, so much better than the transmission retarder on the previous bird. But the DDEC display displays a message "warning: engine RPM in excess of 2200".Should I worry about this??
__________________
Mike & Jackie Williams
Fruit Heights, UT
385-477-9780, ibmfixer@msn.com
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2019
Ernest Ekberg's Avatar
Ernest Ekberg Ernest Ekberg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Weatherford, Tx
Posts: 5,881
Default

that is a guideline for top rpm. its best to stay below that. I usually go down a mountain around 50- 60- all rpms are lower, my blood pressure is lower and I can control the coach without smoking the brakes.
__________________
Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty 45 XL
ernietex@yahoo.com
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2019
Rick's Avatar
Rick Rick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bellefonte
Posts: 12,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
Hope someone can shed light on this for me, On my new-ish-to-me WB with an exhaust retarder brake, I have a question:
When I engage the retarder on a downgrade, it does the job really well, so much better than thmission retarder on the previous bird. But the DDEC display displays a message "warning: engine RPM in excess of 2200".Should I worry about this??
YES!! Worry! You keep doing that and your going to be able to tell us just how much it cost for a new engine. You have a Jacobs Exhaust Brake on you coach. It works by partially closing the exhaust valves in your engine thus reducing the amount of exhaust that can escape. The back pressure slows the engine.

Im sure the data base has a complete explanation of how the Jake works and how you should drive (like slow down) when going down a grade. Do yourself and your engine a favor, if you dont have the Blue Box, search the Data base. If you have a Blue Box there should be a portion of the owners manual that explains.
__________________
Rick Shawver
1SG Ret
2000 LX
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2019
Randy Dupree's Avatar
Randy Dupree Randy Dupree is offline
Forum owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Archer,Fl
Posts: 34,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
YES!! Worry! You keep doing that and your going to be able to tell us just how much it cost for a new engine. You have a Jacobs Exhaust Brake on you coach. It works by partially closing the exhaust valves in your engine thus reducing the amount of exhaust that can escape. The back pressure slows the engine.

Im sure the data base has a complete explanation of how the Jake works and how you should drive (like slow down) when going down a grade. Do yourself and your engine a favor, if you dont have the Blue Box, search the Data base. If you have a Blue Box there should be a portion of the owners manual that explains.

Jacob engine brake,not exhaust brake. (just sayin)
keep the engine below 1900 while on the jake.
__________________
DO NOT SEND PM
email me at randy@randydupree.com only.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2019
Rick's Avatar
Rick Rick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bellefonte
Posts: 12,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Jacob engine brake,not exhaust brake. (just sayin)
keep the engine below 1900 while on the jake.
You are 100 o/o correct Sir.
__________________
Rick Shawver
1SG Ret
2000 LX
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retarder Cecil Cunningham Transmission 2 06-04-2017 09:11 PM
RETARDER QUESTION????? Jeff PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) 41 10-16-2014 09:55 PM
Transmission Retarder Question bubblerboy64 PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) 7 07-11-2013 05:56 PM
Stupid Question re Retarder northmeck0255 SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues) 69 05-20-2013 05:45 AM
electric retarder question Rose Mary Vehicle Issues 11 10-11-2009 07:50 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.