Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 11-26-2018

Thank you for the additional lead. I called them this morning and they were not able to locate that part but stated that they would be able to provide me with a rebuilt unit for about $1,200. Unfortunately, their turnaround was several weeks, which may have been workable if the coach was disabled in my driveway.

I ended up working with an Allison Transmission shop out of the Los Angeles Area:

Premier Transmission
5035 Heinz Street
Baldwin Park, CA 91706
626-856-0377

I dealt directly with Andy who was fantastic to work with. He took the information, including the CIN, programmed a refurbished unit and sent it out next day air. He is also including a refurbished keypad, just in case there are any problems with this component. Upon my return to my home, I take back the keypad (if not needed) and the old unit, and he would refund me the core charge. He's also the person who walked me through the diagnostic procedures to try and get to the core of the problem.

In all, the new ECU will cost $800 plus shipping, after I return my old unit. If I choose to keep the keypad, it would be an additional $595.00 plus tax.

I thought I would pass this information along in case anybody on the West Coast needs an Allison Transmission contact.

I will keep you all posted on how things go with the installation and the return trip home.
Old 11-26-2018
ANOTHER REDNECK

that is a friends and Family price shoot you did good
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 11-28-2018

The part arrived as advertised. No issues with installation and the coach started up and traveled with no issues.

I am very pleased with the service and customer service I received from Andy from Premier Transmission.

Once again, the WOG reinforces why BB owners are a great community.
Old 11-28-2018

Jose I'll get them added to our Service Center map! Thanks for the info!
(678) 438-3184
georgiacorvette@outlook.com
WOG Service Center Database (replaces WOG Maps)
MeWe: https://mewe.com/i/karengulrich
Old 01-05-2019

I never got over here to post but it seems I had the same issue with my Allison. My Vogue has the HD 4060 trans....without going into great detail, I'll just give the info about where I had my ECU rebuilt. The Guys name is John at Transmission Instruments of Texas (transmissioninstruments.com) phone is (866)439-9779. I messed around with my intermittent problem for months while sitting in my drive way. Finally found a place who could check the ECU out of the vehicle...it was bad.

John, who seems very knowledgeable and helped in my troubleshooting efforts, did the rebuild. At the time, last year, rebuild of the Wtec II (?) was 495.00 and a rebuild of the touch pad, 150.00 I believe. Less than a week turn around. I'm extremely happy with the results.

If you care to read the whole story, check IRV2 under Allison Transmission(HD 4060). Hope this might help if needed.
Old 01-05-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by acampingwewillgo View Post
I never got over here to post but it seems I had the same issue with my Allison. My Vogue has the HD 4060 trans....without going into great detail, I'll just give the info about where I had my ECU rebuilt. The Guys name is John at Transmission Instruments of Texas (transmissioninstruments.com) phone is (866)439-9779. I messed around with my intermittent problem for months while sitting in my drive way. Finally found a place who could check the ECU out of the vehicle...it was bad.

John, who seems very knowledgeable and helped in my troubleshooting efforts, did the rebuild. At the time, last year, rebuild of the Wtec II (?) was 495.00 and a rebuild of the touch pad, 150.00 I believe. Less than a week turn around. I'm extremely happy with the results.

If you care to read the whole story, check IRV2 under Allison Transmission(HD 4060). Hope this might help if needed.

Hey!
Hang around and tell us just what was going on with the trans,please!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-06-2019

OK, since you asked so nicely Randy and because someday(I hope) I'll be getting a "Bird" I've always wanted from you, here's my story(hopefully not a Novel). I had to go back and check my notes so I could lay this out in order.

This all started almost 2 years ago...I was having an intermittent issue with my Transmission(Allison HD 4060). At highway speeds, the Trans touch pad would switch into neutral, then switch to what is commonly referred to as "Cat Eyes", the Trans error and do not shift lite would come on and then just as fast, it would shift back into gear. This was a hit and miss problem that I thought might go away because for the time it did not keep me from driving the MH. As time went by on other trips, this issue would occur at about the same frequency but it would also raise its head when starting the MH at times. The Allison will Not let you start the engine if you are not in neutral....
Fast forward till I get the MH parked in my drive way.

First things first, get the error code from the Touch Pad. Easier said than done. It became a balancing act to catch the transmission having one of its problems and getting that code. I finally did. Code: D1 35-00 indicating a power interruption. So off I went trying to gather as much internet info that I could. This led me to a couple of ideas. First was the ignition switch, which I had replaced about 10 years ago but it was kind of looking like maybe this could be the power interruption, what the heck, I replaced the ignition switch again! (check #1 thing off the list). Next, I tried looking at the VIM(that's the black box) containing 6 relays and a couple of 5 amp fuses. I did my due diligence but in the end, I replaced both 5 amp fuses (maybe they were 10amp) and a few on the relays. (check #2 thing off the list)...not quite since I had zeroed in on the VIM. I found a place in Riverside, Calif, "Complete Coach Works that had used Transmission/Vehicle interfaces. I picked up a used VIM and replaced the one in the MH. (Scratch #3).

Remember all this time I'm checking connections, cleaning connections, spraying connections. The next thought was to call Allison's help line. Its worthy to note, that their Help line does not normally talk to laymen(they prefer to chat with tech's. Either I sounded like I knew what I was doing or the guy I chatted with was Just plain being nice... he gave me a few idea's. First and foremost was to Isolate the ECU/TCU from the chassis ground. That idea was that transient power could come through this ground causing problems.

Allison actually sells a Kit for this But I cut a couple of 3/4" pieces of plywood, mounted the ECU/TCU on the plywood then attached that to the chassis thus taking this ground path away. I was also told to located PIN# B10 and wire number 144 and cut this wire(this is a ground wire)....Just so you know, this didn't do the trick, so I would hold off on doing this unless someone actually instructs you to do so. (scratch #4 and 5)

During this whole procedure, I was looking for someone/anyone who had the ability to bench test the ECU/TCU ….up to this point my search proved fruitless. My next step was when I discovered John's WEB site. He has troubleshooting advice and certain procedures you can take to help track down issues...this includes running new ground and power wires directly from the batteries, using a home made test lamp to check resistance. I can't thank John enough for his help on the phone first off. (Transmission Instruments of Texas (866)439-9779. This way to don't have to look back on my previous message.
I'll just add that I went thru each of his troubleshooting tips to No avail.

After all this....I still had the same issue with Cat Eyes, not being able to start the MH, buzzers and lights going off. Finally, at my wits end, I found someone who had the test equipment, was an authorized Allison Repair shop and he could Bench Test the ECU/TCU.....That place is Western State Converters and Transmission in Corona Calif. The unit itself comes out very easily, easy for me cause I had it out so many times by now. I drove down(about 2 hour drive), I asked how much he charged to test it(nothing), I asked his price for rebuilding it (2000-2500.00) and I said, I feel bad that I would be taking it elsewhere to have it rebuilt...this is all before he tested it. He said, no problem. He had the right connectors, he had the right program on his laptop, he plugged it in and Thank God, it displayed exactly what it was doing to me while installed in the motorhome. I'm sure many of you know how tough it is to replicate errors on a bench and you are left standing there looking like a dummy. Long story short, it was bad.

Next thing was sending off to John in Texas....the turnaround was about 5 days all together, the price 495.00 for my ECU/TCU to be rebuilt and since he was doing it, I had him rebuild the touch pad too for I believe 150.00.

That's my story, I hope it can help others. In retrospect, finding a place to test the Trans brain to begin with would have been great...trust me when I say it wasn't from lack of trying to do just that. Good Luck

OH....many miles on the rebuilt and all is well!!!

Last edited by acampingwewillgo; 01-06-2019 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-06-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by acampingwewillgo View Post
OK, since you asked so nicely Randy and because someday(I hope) I'll be getting a "Bird" I've always wanted from you, here's my story(hopefully not a Novel). I had to go back and check my notes so I could lay this out in order.

This all started almost 2 years ago...I was having an intermittent issue with my Transmission(Allison HD 4060). At highway speeds, the Trans touch pad would switch into neutral, then switch to what is commonly referred to as "Cat Eyes", the Trans error and do not shift lite would come on and then just as fast, it would shift back into gear. This was a hit and miss problem that I thought might go away because for the time it did not keep me from driving the MH. As time went by on other trips, this issue would occur at about the same frequency but it would also raise its head when starting the MH at times. The Allison will Not let you start the engine if you are not in neutral....
Fast forward till I get the MH parked in my drive way.

First things first, get the error code from the Touch Pad. Easier said than done. It became a balancing act to catch the transmission having one of its problems and getting that code. I finally did. Code: D1 35-00 indicating a power interruption. So off I went trying to gather as much internet info that I could. This led me to a couple of ideas. First was the ignition switch, which I had replaced about 10 years ago but it was kind of looking like maybe this could be the power interruption, what the heck, I replaced the ignition switch again! (check #1 thing off the list). Next, I tried looking at the VIM(that's the black box) containing 6 relays and a couple of 5 amp fuses. I did my due diligence but in the end, I replaced both 5 amp fuses (maybe they were 10amp) and a few on the relays. (check #2 thing off the list)...not quite since I had zeroed in on the VIM. I found a place in Riverside, Calif, "Complete Coach Works that had used Transmission/Vehicle interfaces. I picked up a used VIM and replaced the one in the MH. (Scratch #3).

Remember all this time I'm checking connections, cleaning connections, spraying connections. The next thought was to call Allison's help line. Its worthy to note, that their Help line does not normally talk to laymen(they prefer to chat with tech's. Either I sounded like I knew what I was doing or the guy I chatted with was Just plain being nice... he gave me a few idea's. First and foremost was to Isolate the ECU/TCU from the chassis ground. That idea was that transient power could come through this ground causing problems.

Allison actually sells a Kit for this But I cut a couple of 3/4" pieces of plywood, mounted the ECU/TCU on the plywood then attached that to the chassis thus taking this ground path away. I was also told to located PIN# B10 and wire number 144 and cut this wire(this is a ground wire)....Just so you know, this didn't do the trick, so I would hold off on doing this unless someone actually instructs you to do so. (scratch #4 and 5)

During this whole procedure, I was looking for someone/anyone who had the ability to bench test the ECU/TCU ….up to this point my search proved fruitless. My next step was when I discovered John's WEB site. He has troubleshooting advice and certain procedures you can take to help track down issues...this includes running new ground and power wires directly from the batteries, using a home made test lamp to check resistance. I can't thank John enough for his help on the phone first off. (Transmission Instruments of Texas (866)439-9779. This way to don't have to look back on my previous message.
I'll just add that I went thru each of his troubleshooting tips to No avail.

After all this....I still had the same issue with Cat Eyes, not being able to start the MH, buzzers and lights going off. Finally, at my wits end, I found someone who had the test equipment, was an authorized Allison Repair shop and he could Bench Test the ECU/TCU.....That place is Western State Converters and Transmission in Corona Calif. The unit itself comes out very easily, easy for me cause I had it out so many times by now. I drove down(about 2 hour drive), I asked how much he charged to test it(nothing), I asked his price for rebuilding it (2000-2500.00) and I said, I feel bad that I would be taking it elsewhere to have it rebuilt...this is all before he tested it. He said, no problem. He had the right connectors, he had the right program on his laptop, he plugged it in and Thank God, it displayed exactly what it was doing to me while installed in the motorhome. I'm sure many of you know how tough it is to replicate errors on a bench and you are left standing there looking like a dummy. Long story short, it was bad.

Next thing was sending off to John in Texas....the turnaround was about 5 days all together, the price 495.00 for my ECU/TCU to be rebuilt and since he was doing it, I had him rebuild the touch pad too for I believe 150.00.

That's my story, I hope it can help others. In retrospect, finding a place to test the Trans brain to begin with would have been great...trust me when I say it wasn't from lack of trying to do just that. Good Luck

OH....many miles on the rebuilt and all is well!!!

Thanks for the follow up,a very good post!
WE will file that info away,finding good techs is hard!
Don't be a stranger!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-06-2019

I had the same issues also and used Transmission Instruments with the same good results to fix my cpu.

http://www.transmissioninstruments.com/index.html
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 01-06-2019
Administrator

Dwight thanks for this post,
we have several Vogue members with 3208's, Allisons, ZF's and I seem to remember a Vogue with a 6V92