Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 05-28-2008

Default 84 PT no start

Glad I found this site...there is a lot of good info here! I recently purchased a 84 PT with the 6v92 and am having quite a few issues. Today I couldn't get it to start and had to call out a diesel mechanic service. When you turn ignition switch nothing happens. All you here is a click in the front and in the rear. All the battery power switches are on and the A/t switch is on and the batterys are ok but nothing happens. The mechanic did a jumper on the starter and it fired right up. I live in a small town and there is only one diesel shop here and he is booked till next week...so, my bird is just sitting. After reading all the post here these are the things I have tried
1. Checked the A/t switch..I even pulled it out to make sure the wires were connected...I tried it in the off position and the on...still no starter action. I think I may have turned it upside down now
2. I checked the rear start switch and sprayed it with wd40 still nothing..btw...it wont start from the rear either
3. I climbed underneath..with the air down of course and checked for loose wires and looked for the neutral switch wires on the tranny and they seem ok.
4. I checked the grounding strap to the starter and all other cables going to it for tightness and corrosion.
5. I opened the front drivers side headlight and looked around in there. there was on wire of a relay and when I put it on the left turn signal indicator was lite on the dash but not flashing inside or out.
6. I have shifted the transmission selector while trying to crank.
7. The batterys are fine and are all free of corrosion and all connections appear to be tight.

The engine light did flash off and on once while driving but no buzzer...also, I pushed on the engine light while it was parked and it flickered off and on with the key on so I'm not sure about that.

Also, I have been having a problem with the headlights not working. All the tail light and markers work but not the headlights. The high beam indicator stay illuminated all the time. I'm not sure if this is related???

I spent all day today trying to figure it out...with no luck
My fear is that I will end up having to take it to the diesel shop and they will call me 10 hours later saying they still dont know.

THANKS for any tips you may have!!
Old 05-28-2008
Forum owner

welcome to the site!
here another thing to look at.
the starter has a soleniod bolted on to the top.
the way that works is when you turn the key to the start position 12volts is applied to a coil and the coil pulls the drive etc.
most cars and trucks just use a 12 ga.wire from the key switch to energize the coil in the solenoid.
BUT,on a Bird there must have been too much of a voltage drop when running the wire fom the switch all the way to the starter.
So,they put another relay mounted back near the starter to boost the voltage.
its what is commonly know as a ford starter solenoid that they used for a relay,its round,has 4 terminals on it,2 large on opposite sides and 2 small on the side away from the mounting bracket.
find that solenoid and check power to it with a 12vdc test light.
one of the large terminals will be hot,the other large one will go to the starter,one of the small ones will go to the switch,putting power to it will send power to the starter.

randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-28-2008

The solution to a similar failure to start on my 85 PT was to replace the "Front-Rear" toggle switch. On my coach, the toggle switch is next to the rear ignition key switch.

Replacement switches (DPDT "On-Off-On" with screw terminals but only 25 A. rating) were available at a local truck stop.

--M.R.Kane
1985 PT40
currently San Marcos, TX
Old 05-29-2008

Along with the others info, do you have a master battery cutoff switch? My master cutoff switch, which is in the engine bay failed internally recently causing the same problem. A $39 fix. Also, be sure the main battery ground is good. On mine it attaches to a bar at the right rear of the engine bay. There will be a gang of wires on the post. Take it apart, wire brush the terminal and ends, grease it and reinstall.

I do not know how an 84 is set up without DDEC but a flickering engine light might be the coolant level.????????being low.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker

Last edited by jwasnewski; 05-29-2008 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-29-2008

Default no luck yet

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the tips! Randy, I searched and searched for the solenoid and the only one I found does have 12v. going to it. One of the small wires is a ground and the other small wire I'm not sure where it goes but the other big wire goes to my A/C compressor, so I'm not sure if the other small wire is going to the starter solenoid?
I check the 3 way switch in the rear and it does have 12v to the different wires and seems to work when I change the selection.
As for the battery cut off switch, how would I tell if it were bad? I do use it everytime I shut down the coach and it does seem to operate correctly.
Thanks again for your help and time!
Jeff
Old 05-29-2008

Oh, and about the coolant level, I was told to use Power Cool from Detroit. Is there any other brands I can buy at Napa or Pep boys or even Walmart? I don't live near a Detroit/allison dealer.
Old 05-29-2008
Forum Moderator

Jeff a couple of years ago I had a 'no start' situation which turned out to be the electrical connection between the solenoid on top of the starter and the starter itself. This was not a wire connection but rather a thick copper band bent into a shape that allowed it to be bolted to both the solenoid and the starter. Mechanics removed this copper link, buzzed the corrosion off and solved the problem. By the way the link didn't look bad but under the nut there was corrosion.
Old 05-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusBoyJj View Post
Oh, and about the coolant level, I was told to use Power Cool from Detroit. Is there any other brands I can buy at Napa or Pep boys or even Walmart? I don't live near a Detroit/allison dealer.
I live in the boonies also. I use extended life antifreeze and change it every three years. It is about time to do that. Now, that is just me.

When my cutoff switch failed it operated correctly physically. I checked power in and power out in the switch on position. I had about 13.5v in and virtually nothing out. The meter registered as I remember about 5v out. That will not start the coach. The contact was toasted inside. I replaced it and cleaned the main grounds, now spins and starts on about 5 turns even in cold weather.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker