Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 10-17-2008
Gardner

OK, I'm screwed here. The truck place thinks they need to pull the front axel to get the tranny out. They don't know how to deal with it. I am now looking for another place to get it done. I haven't heard from the towing company for a mileage cost, so I am in limbo.

Any one know of a reputable place near Olyphant PA that can do it? I am making calls, but no one can make an extimate without seeing it. And towing it around for a guess is not very cost effective.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-17-2008
Forum owner

i have heard of lots of FC trannys being removed,and none had the axle removed first.
i would look for a large allison dealer in that area.
good luck Gardner.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-17-2008

We had an owner, a little while back, summer or spring? Who had his transmission replaced in Dallas at some big Allison dealer, wasn't it like $4500 done deal?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 10-17-2008

Gardner,
I realize this place is a little farther south- Lancaster, but it may be close enough. Try the Garden Spot (okay, so it's a weird name). Their # is (717)656-2366. They did most of the servicing on my 96 when the PO had it. I think they've got several locations, so they may have one farther north near where you are. The service manager and writer were both quite knowledgable and at least in the little dealings I had with them, worked pretty hard at getting things done. There's got to be somebody decent in Wilkes-Barre. Too many trucks run in that region for there not to be.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-17-2008
Gardner

Thanks everyone for the informatin. I will try the wierd name place at least for perhaps a reccomendation of someone closer. I called a Freightliner place 3 miles away and they will swap it, but don't have the people to troubleshoot it. At this point that would be a good thing. I haven't heard from the towing outfit, but they should get back soon. I hate to have the coach sitting out in a lot in some industrial park for too long. I heve to run down this weekend and pull the rest of the dry food and TV,VCR, etc out. (the TV is not permanently mounted)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-17-2008

Default Tranny problems

Sorry to hear of your problems Gardner. Terrible ending to a lovely weekend at Hershey. Wish I could help some way. Don't you wonder sometimes when you get into these situation whether they just don't want the job? I'd have a lot more respect for a person if they would just tell you "sorry we can't help you" or "sorry we don't have the time". Shane have any suggestions?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-17-2008
Gardner

John,
You are right that the rep should have known that the crew didn't want to work on motorhomes. From the conversations I have had they don't know how to either. I may have found a service facility that can handle it, but I need to do a little more research. It is Nicholas-Wyoming Valley Truck Center in Wilks-Barre PA.

I plan to vist them this week and make final preparations to tow the coach to their facility.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-18-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
John,
You are right that the rep should have known that the crew didn't want to work on motorhomes. From the conversations I have had they don't know how to either. I may have found a service facility that can handle it, but I need to do a little more research. It is Nicholas-Wyoming Valley Truck Center in Wilks-Barre PA.

I plan to vist them this week and make final preparations to tow the coach to their facility.
Gardner,

If this garage doesn't work out for you, I would suggest that you try to find a local school district school bus maintenance facility or a tour bus garage to find out who does their transmission repair. I had mine replaced shortly after I purchased it, by a truck and bus garage that does a lot of maintenance on US Army school busses from Ft. Jackson, if I remember correctly they didn't have to do anything with the front axle or suspension, but used a huge jack to lift the front end up high enough to remove the transmission similar to what Tom suggested.

The cost for the complete R&R using a Allison Factory Reman. Trans was around $4500.00, but that was 4 years ago.

I'm waiting for the rain to stop here in Lake Lure, NC. so we can enjoy the ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway, later today.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-18-2008

I watched a BB FC prison bus have the Allison transmission removed 3 days ago as John F suggested...hoisting the front of the bus and dropped the transmission out bottom. This was done at the IH dealer in Jefferson City, MO...that was a pretty quick operation and front wheels were still on the bus!
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 10-18-2008
Senior

Gardener you dont have to pull the axel or do anything other then to do what I previously suggested. The shop needs one of three things, either a lift to get the coach off the ground, or a pit, or a pair of OTC wheel air lifts to get the front of the coach off the ground high enough so the tranny is dropped out of the bottom. Removing the transmission is a relatively easy operation once you get the front up less then an hour, two at the most to remove it. Hardest part is to get the bell housing bolts off from the top of the transmission. It takes a LONG long extension with an air wrench. After disconnecting the cooling lines etc just slide it back on a dolly and slide it out. Installing the new one is just as easy.

If you have coachnet or similar and call them they should transit the coach to the new location at no charge since the facility you now have it at is unable to do the work (and I would not want them to anyway).

If it were mine I would get a jasper transmisison with a 3 year 100,000 mile nationwide warranty. They can also tell you where to get it installed by a qualified installer.
6V92