Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 02-17-2014

Default BMC Questions.. 95 vs 96 or beyond...?

I think I read somewhere that the BMC's came into being in model year '95 and ran for a few years -- not sure when they stopped but I think it was perhaps 3-4 years of mfg? I also read that the 95' models had issues with the rear axle being undersized hence the silent recall.. Are there other issues I should be aware of with the '96 or newer models? Just curious.. and still looking..
Old 02-17-2014

BMC's actually started in '94 and ran to model year '97. So four years of production. Although there has been a lot of discussion of the rear axle "issue" I don't believe I have ever heard of a failure, and we are looking at a 20 year history.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 02-17-2014

So yours was never upgraded and no issues.. good to hear! I'll admit that my wife and I kinda found one listed on vintage birds that we like the looks of but the low miles has me a bit worried (21k only) and seems to indicate lack of use by prior owners.. Kinda makes me worried.. Unfortunately I've not contacted the current owner to find out if he's the first or nth owner and who didn't drive it much -- him or a PO? It's a '96 IIRC that I'm referring to.
Old 02-17-2014

There are difference between the years. So depending on your wants and needs either an early/late, 37/40 foot, coach might fit you best.

Propane heaters vs Aqua Hot
Gray and black water tank sizes
Goat rails and ladders
GVW rating
37 foot vs 40 foot
Plus other differences

The BMCs have proved themselves to be a good choice IMHO.

The vintage Birds history website can help: http://www.vintagebirds.com/history.htm
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 02-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
So yours was never upgraded and no issues.. good to hear! I'll admit that my wife and I kinda found one listed on vintage birds that we like the looks of but the low miles has me a bit worried (21k only) and seems to indicate lack of use by prior owners.. Kinda makes me worried.. Unfortunately I've not contacted the current owner to find out if he's the first or nth owner and who didn't drive it much -- him or a PO? It's a '96 IIRC that I'm referring to.
To tell you the truth I am not sure if mine was upgraded or not. I have never been too concerned about it.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 02-17-2014

It's funny how things work -- originally I was interested in an FC31 to fit the driveway.. Magically now I'm looking at something longer than the longest FC.. Go figure.. If we have 5 people in the family (3 kids, 2 adults), one of the floor plans seems to indicate a 4 person sleeping capacity -- big bed in back, fold down dinette and sleeper sofa -- is that about right and typical for the BMC's (and most of the other Wanderlodges as well I think)? Ultimately our oldest kid will be heading off to college in a few years so it may not be much of an issue down the road a bit..
Old 02-17-2014

Actually my '83 FC 35 was able to sleep 5, while the BMC will only sleep 4. It all depends on the layout of the coach. I think many of the BMC's were built without a dinette that turned into a bed. Of course if the need arose, we could move the recliner forward and someone could sleep on an air mattress on the floor.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 02-17-2014

thanks for the clarification! I was a bit concerned about that as many of the BMC's I've seen pics for show what appears to be a smallish table for two instead of the full-dinette.. But I've seen some BMC's descriptions that claim they can fold down to a bed.. confused a bit here I guess..
Old 02-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
It's funny how things work -- originally I was interested in an FC31 to fit the driveway.. Magically now I'm looking at something longer than the longest FC.. Go figure.. If we have 5 people in the family (3 kids, 2 adults), one of the floor plans seems to indicate a 4 person sleeping capacity -- big bed in back, fold down dinette and sleeper sofa -- is that about right and typical for the BMC's (and most of the other Wanderlodges as well I think)? Ultimately our oldest kid will be heading off to college in a few years so it may not be much of an issue down the road a bit..
Rick, I have an FC 31 side bath and it sleeps five very well. Two single couches in the front (backs are removeable cushions), the fold down dinette, and the double bed in the back, and these areas can all be separated, an acordian door on the back bedroom, and a curtain clear across between the salon and galley. Of course, that does leave the bathroom isolated in the galley area.

Dave

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 02-17-2014

thanks Dave! We've looked at quite a few FC's (via pics -- not in person) and I think only the newer years might suffice as the wife isn't that interested in the older interior styles as much -- nor am I to be honest.. However, many people have updated the interiors and taken the interiors out of the 80's -- like the reddish brown carpets and dark wood interiors that give many rigs a 'cavy' look to them -- dark and dreary whereas the newer ones don't give that impression -- at least IMHO!