Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-12-2008

Default Under the Dash

I am planning to replace the radio (stereo head unit) on the new to me PT. Last evening I took the two sliding drawers out and found that I could not "get to" the back of the radio. Problem is the access from the opening where the drawers are. The impediment is the wood piece that hold the catch onto which the lower drawer latch latches. Trying to figure out how to reach and even more importantly see up under there to loosen the radio from the dash panel. Or is there another approach to this.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-12-2008

Yours may be similar to mine. I pull the drawers (3) out of the slides. There are 6 screws in the side walls where the drawer slides attach. Remove the screws and the whole empty box slides out exposing the rear of the dash and the front of the bus. You may have a cadet toe heater in there also so be careful with it. The console top stays in place. Hope this helps.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 11-12-2008

Default Dash

Leroy, If I follow you? You are saying there is a box within a box (best way I can describe it). When you loosen the screws the inner box with the draw slides and the whole works pulls forward? There is a toe heater there.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-12-2008

Yes, the complete unit, on mine a five sided box slides out as one piece. So I guess it can be characterized as a box in a box. I do not have to remove the drawer slides because they come with the box. In my coach I have to work a little bit to get the box on top of the carpet. It is a fairly tight fit. Pretty crafty way to make a cabinet and is reasonably easy access.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 11-12-2008
Former Bird Owner

Unless the dash board is way different on a '95 ... my radio is in a dash sub-panel shared with the ignition key. I removed the 4 screws in the corners of the panel, gently pulled up the panel, then was able to remove the various wires (I labeled them with sticky labels) to the radio and ignition switch, etc. I was then able to fiddle with the radio at my leisure.

The radio is held into place with clips -- made up of bent-in parts to a frame that's attached to the dash panel piece. It's pretty obvious once you look at it. I think it's designed to be released by slipping slender "keys" into the radio-hole at the edges of the existing radio once the bezel plate is removed. (A new radio may or may not come with such keys.)

I purchased a new Kenwood radio (with specs I wanted -- including an iPod connector) as that was the OEM brand. The radio was compatible with the remotely mounted Kenwood power amp and the existing speakers. The plugs weren't an exact fit, but splicing on the 'pigtail' wires that came with the new radio to the OEM wires was quite simple as there were labels (left spkr, right spkr, etc.) on the existing wires. The antenna wire was a direct plug in using an (apparently) standard connector (although my antenna is shot -- but that's project for another time).

Apparently, at some time in the past, my radio may have had a half-height accessory mounted just above it (or the radio previously in the coach was an upgrade from an earlier radio). There was an ugly hole left behind. So, I also took the opportunity to take a piece of aluminum angle, cut it to size, paint it black, then mount it to the radio enclosure to block the empty hole.

After reconnecting everything, I screwed the 4 screws back into the panel and every thing is fine. That part of my panel is lighted with the electroluminescent system with a label around the ignition key. Be careful not to drill any holes in the panel and watch for the connector to the panel in addition to those for the radio and ignition switch.

===
On the road at Lockhart, TX

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 11-14-2008

Default No Box in the Box

Well, I got the radio out. Four hex screw around the edge and loosing the fastener ring around the ignition switch allowed me access to the screw which held the mounting bracket for the radio. It was not possible to access from below and since it was screwed from the top it would have been no help had I been able to get there. My coach is not as suspected no box within a box. I also removed the over head TV and it also is not boxed. The TV was easy. I think that I will have a profession install the new radio. I mounted a 22inch Toshiba with a built in DVD play in the bed room. Have to sort out the satellite and direct TV as well. I have a deposit on the Napper so hopefully my membership in the Dos Pajaros Club will be a record short one. If the 1987 pusher treats me as well as the Napper did I will be a happy bluebirder. Had it a week and there is a to do list developing but its a short one and hopefully it will stay that way.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold