Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs

Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs Owning a Blue Bird isn't cheap. Questions or suggestions on how to handle these costs are discussed in this forum.

Site Search:

Old 03-20-2009
hturner 12

Default Right Driver's license

Have you checked to make sure you have the right license? I did and found out GA has added RVs over26K must have a Non Commercial Class A. You take just the general knowledge test maybe a road sign test and certify have driven at that 3 K or 3 months in your Rv(bus for us). Just make it simple and use RV.
Old 03-20-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hturner 12 View Post
Have you checked to make sure you have the right license? I did and found out GA has added RVs over26K must have a Non Commercial Class A. You take just the general knowledge test maybe a road sign test and certify have driven at that 3 K or 3 months in your Rv(bus for us). Just make it simple and use RV.
I talked about this subject last year in post # of Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Rallies, Shows, and Organized Events > Would you be interested in attending a Wanderlodge Drivers Training Class?

Quote:
Here is a link to a web site that lists the license requirements for each state and most have a link to the states web site, if you want to check further, check out; http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
After reading the list in that link, I found out that I had been driving my 'Bird with the wrong drivers license and finally I just took my RV Drivers License computer test yesterday here in South Carolina, with upgrades for the 'Bird and the trailer and passed it with 29 out of 30 correct, now I have to take the road test next Wednesday and then I will be good to go without having to worry anymore about that.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-22-2009
Former Bird Owner

Those with the 42' or 43' 'birds should be aware that nearly all states have some special license requirement for over 40' -- and, as indicated many states have a similar requirement for over 26,000 lbs. So, nearly all BB drivers will require some kind of upgrade driver's license or endorsement except in a very few states, unless they already hold a commercial class A license.

If you qualify in one state, your license will be honored in all other states, in most circumstances.

Note that in some cases, passing a medical exam is part of the qualification for the upgrade license. In California, to get the non-commercial Class B license, I had to submit a medical statement (on a DMV form) that was signed by my physician. A 'self-report' form is also used for some other license categories, but the non-commercial class B specifically requires the physician-signed form.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-22-2009
Proud Bluebird Owner

Confusion over RV license requirements continues...probably will forever as each state makes its own rules. The data on the website John noted is wrong for Connecticut. Better to check the requirements for your state yourself to be sure you actually need a special license.
Old 03-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Confusion over RV license requirements continues...probably will forever as each state makes its own rules. The data on the website John noted is wrong for Connecticut. Better to check the requirements for your state yourself to be sure you actually need a special license.
Harry,

Rather than just saying that the web site information is wrong, how about going a step further by giving the correct information and the source that the correct information came from, that would be a great help.

The date of the web sites information is noted as being 2005 so there definitely could be some changes in the requirements.

There is a link there for the Connecticut drivers license web site and checking it like you said would be a good idea, that is what I did here in South Carolina and then I went down to the SC DMV and asked them about it too, just to make sure.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-23-2009

I switched my residency from NY to FL last year for a number of reasons, but one of the benefits was that a regular FL driver's license is valid for any RV.

In fact, the back of the license says:

"Class E - Any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR less than 26,0001 lbs or any RV"
2004 Toyota Land Cruiser on a trailer
Old 03-23-2009

That's the way it is in Oklahoma, as long as it's an "RV" a standard license is all you need.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 03-24-2009
Proud Bluebird Owner

OK John, you asked for it!

The correct answer for Connecticut is that no special license or endorsements are required to operate an recreational vehicle.

For additional information, see the following:

Data from Connecticut General Statutes – Title 14 Chapter 246 section 14-1 – Definitions (I added the red)

(11) "Camper" means any motor vehicle designed or permanently altered in such a way as to provide temporary living quarters for travel, camping or recreational purposes;

(15) "Commercial motor vehicle" means a vehicle designed or used to transport passengers or property, except a vehicle used for farming purposes in accordance with 49 CFR 383.3(d), fire fighting apparatus or an emergency vehicle, as defined in section 14-283, or a recreational vehicle in private use, which (A) has a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand and one pounds or more, or a gross combination weight rating of twenty-six thousand and one pounds or more, inclusive of a towed unit or units with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than ten thousand pounds;

(51) "Motor home" means a vehicular unit designed to provide living quarters and necessary amenities which are built into an integral part of, or permanently attached to, a truck or van chassis;

(73) "Recreational vehicle" includes the camper, camp trailer and motor home classes of vehicles;

Data from Connecticut DMV Website

Classification of Licenses

The following are the definitions of classifications, endorsements and restrictions that appear on Connecticut operator licenses:

Commercial Driver's License (CDL):

Class A – Any motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle, including combination of vehicles.

Class B - Single vehicle over 26,000 lbs GVWR with vehicle in tow 10,000 lbs GVWR or less.

Class C – Single vehicle 26,000 lbs or less GVWR with vehicle in tow 10,000 lbs GVWR or less. However, vehicles of this size are included in the CDL program only if they are: (1) designed to carry 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or (2) used to transport hazardous materials in quantities requiring placarding under the Hazardous Material Regulations.
Non-Commercial Driver's License:

Class D - Any motor vehicle that does not require a CDL.

Endorsements:

M = Motorcycle
H = Hazardous Material
N = Tank Vehicles
X = Hazardous Material and Tank Endorsements Combined
T = Double/Triple
P = Passenger
S = School Bus, includes Student Transportation Vehicle, Activity Vehicle, Taxi, Livery, Service Bus and Motor Coach
V = Student Transportation Vehicles, includes Activity Vehicle, Taxi, Livery, Service Bus and Motor Coach
A = Activity Vehicles, includes Taxi, Livery, Service Bus and Motor Coach
F = Taxi, Livery, Service Bus, Motor Coach
Q = Fire Apparatus (by request of the Fire Chief only)

Restrictions:

B = Corrective Lenses
C = Mechanical Aid
D = Prosthetic Aid
E = Automatic Transmission
F = Outside Mirror
G = Limited to Daylight Driving Only
K = CDL Intrastate Only
L = Limited to Vehicles Without Air Brakes
R = No Limited Access Roads
U = Hearing Aid Required
W = Medical Waiver Required

Vehicles Exempt from CDL
Below listed are those vehicles that are exempt from the requirements of a commercial driver's license:
• Vehicles used for farming purposes (within 150 miles of the farm ).
• Fire fighting apparatus.
• Authorized emergency vehicles.
• Recreational vehicles.
• Military vehicles operated by military personnel
Old 03-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
OK John, you asked for it!

Thank you, that is what we need.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-12-2014

Ok.. Coming in late here.. quite late..

In California, I'm trying to figure out what license I'd need to get to drive an SP36 IF we bought one..

According to this link, it's not clear whether I'd need a class-B license, uncommercial class-A or something else.. But according to this link, it sounds like I could use a commercial class B license or ?? Unfortunately I don't know what "any vehicles under Class C" which applies to certain license types.. I must be stupid or something but I don't understand these descriptions.. ugg! Perhaps they're using DMV-eze..?

Anyone in CA that can provide me with the cliff-notes version??