Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > How To Protect Your RV Investment.

How To Protect Your RV Investment. This forum is set up to discuss insurance needs, terminology & where to go to get the best possible coverage for your needs. From time to time we will discuss the issues and differences in insurance coverage. When would an appraisal be in your best interest & how often should you have an appraisal and where one could obtain a certified appraisal.

Site Search:

Old 10-06-2017

I have my vehicles and my 5th wheel with Amica so I called them first (last week) when shopping for motor-home insurance. I was told they did not insure motor-homes. I guess I need to call again.

I did get FMCA to look for me and they came back with policy about 800 dollars less than Progressive. I am shopping for an M450. My quote for that was about 2500 for a 2500 deductible with 10k personal effects coverage. This was for actual cash value.

Buck Jackson
Dickinson, TX
2006 M450 Lxi
Old 10-06-2017

Default Insurance

Unfortunately, Safeco and Amica do not insure full-timers. And Nationwide is apparently thinking about going out of the RV business, and we have spent so much time on this we don't want to do it again next year. We were going to go with Foremost, and they gave us a reasonable quote, but when we sent in the pictures and appraisal, they turned us down. They said the pictures and everything looked great, and it was all good except for the fact that we had "upgraded" to a residential refrigerator and they would not insure us for that reason. I spent some time explaining that most of the high-end coaches were now all electric, but they said when installing a residential refrigerator in an older motorhome, they were worried about extra weight (when I do not believe this Samsung weighs as much as the old Dometic 7030) and that the power draw would overload the system (even though I explained the very small power draw of the Samsung, way less than a microwave). They also said it was not an "RV certified" refrigerator. I pointed out that I was sure that in the all-electric coaches those were not RV certified refrigerators either, they just put in whatever fit the hole they built in. And there had to be a safety benefit to totally getting rid of the need for propane. However, there is no arguing with a bureaucracy, so if any of you folks on the Forum plan to deal with Foremost, and if you have a residential fridge like the Samsung, you may not want to mention that. Ours showed up on the appraisal I sent them and in one of the pictures they wanted. (note to John McGinnis: you may not want to emphasize that as an upgrade on your appraisals ) So even though I did not want to go with Progressive, it looks like for full-timers that may be the only one left.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 10-06-2017
RV Appraiser

There is always another option, buy a house or buy into an RV port with a living quarters and claim that as your full time address and make it a weekly/monthly rental. How are they going to know how many months a year you are on the road. As for your Samsung, you were the one who emphasized that it was an upgrade I was just keeping you happy, plus without mentioning it they would have found out anyway when that house unit decide to go aglow. Personally I don't consider a household appliance as an upgrade when you are taking away 2 of the 3 features your former unit had. Just my personal preference I like the ability of having a 3 way, refrigerator that is. LOL
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 10-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds_first View Post
There is always another option, buy a house or buy into an RV port with a living quarters and claim that as your full time address and make it a weekly/monthly rental. How are they going to know how many months a year you are on the road. As for your Samsung, you were the one who emphasized that it was an upgrade I was just keeping you happy, plus without mentioning it they would have found out anyway when that house unit decide to go aglow. Personally I don't consider a household appliance as an upgrade when you are taking away 2 of the 3 features your former unit had. Just my personal preference I like the ability of having a 3 way, refrigerator that is. LOL
John, I was not inferring that your appraisal was incorrect or wrong in any way. Clearly, people have different ideas about residential refrigerators versus the original propane-electrics, but I think if you polled the people who installed the Samsungs, they all like them much better and would say it is in their view, an upgrade. As a result, we had no problem referring to it that way, as we feel that increases the value of our coach. We like our Samsung much better for a variety of reasons and do consider it an upgrade. Just never expected to run into this issue when many of the new high-end coaches are now all electric. Who knew? I just mentioned this as a caution if you are dealing with Foremost.

And as far as Progressive goes, they told us they do not do agreed value policies. If you have a problem, they just look up "book values and other considerations" for the value. But, they were the only one left.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 10-09-2017
In The Learning Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis;394341
And as far as Progressive goes, [B
they told us they do not do agreed value policies[/B]. If you have a problem, they just look up "book values and other considerations" for the value. But, they were the only one left.
This is been discussed many times, I went through the same thing with Progressive - it's frustrating. As of April 2017 Progressive does offer agreed value - you do have to be persistent and talk to the right agent. In my case it was two different supervisors.

My Progressive policy states 'Agreed Value' in two different places on page two of the Policy Summary under 'Coverage and Policy Information'. It's states it for Collision and again for Comprehensive. It is very clear.

A current appraisal is the best safety net though.

1995 WB 42 "The Magic Carpet" sold
1977 FC 31 RB "BUSTA BUS"
2000 LXI SS "Piper"

Semper Fi
-----------------------------------------
Old 10-09-2017
RV Appraiser

There are still quite a few insurance companies that offer "Agreed Value" I just posted it a few weeks ago. Progressive, Foremost, Safeco are just a few that come to mind. Do a Google search, look in the FMCA for RV insurance brokerage firms; Miller, Thum, Explorer, Farm & City are a few that I know of, and let the brokerage firm do the talking for you. They will ask you a series of questions, don't volunteer info if it's not asked. Let the brokerage firm do their research and they will find you the right fit.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 10-09-2017

I got insurance thru the Thum agency. I believe having read the policy (Progressive) that I DO have agreed value. You have to read the policy and question everything.

There are cheaper plans but I had a speeding ticket a couple years ago and a claim on my insurance record. They get you coming to going. The goal is as many premium dollars in with as few out as possible. On one hand you can't blame them (that's business).

My objection is that it seems to be needlessly complicated almost as if they don't want you to really be able to know what you are buying.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-09-2017

When I got my BS letter I called my agent. She switched me to Progressive Agreed Value for about the same price using my year old appraisal from John McG. No fuss, no muss. Plus Michigan is No Fault and cheaper than if I registered in FL. All is good. BTW, the local agent here could not offer Progressive Agreed Value. IDKW.

D from D
Old 10-09-2017

As far as progressive and agreed value. It does seem to be a variable which is hard to understand. We're pretty much determined that if the words agreed value and more specifically a number quoted you don't have true agreed value.

I think we all need to be aware that things change and best stay on top of this.

I believe and I may not be correct that my insurance from Bluesky started as agreed value but did not end that way. The policy written when I first signed on with Bluesky was different then the policy I agreed to the last year (premium didn't change) but I think they dropped the agreed value on me and the next year wouldn't write a policy at all. I didn't read the policy MY BAD

We probably all need to very careful verify and verify again each year. Two many of us and certainly myself just pay the bill. I've used state farm for years and when I tried to get insurance after learning the Bluesky was dropping me the insurance from State Farm was TWICE the progressive policy and State Farm wasn't even agreed value. It was SO high I started shopping.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-09-2017

https://www.progressive.com/rv/rv-coverages/

agreed value is on this page...I had to send the rep a link to their own site to get it (she had to ask someone on how to do it but it got done).
1984 FC35RB Sold