Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 06-02-2009

Default lost ? with hurricane heating system on 2004 m380

hi all, just bought an 2004 m380 & have read the manual but forgive me for these daft questions:
1. Is the hurricane heating system for both hot water & furnace, as when you operate the stats next to the shower you get hot air, but the hurricane sytem is not working ??
2. switched on the hurricane system & it ran fine for about 1 min, then cut & will not re-light, it comes up with flame out, no. 7 error code, this rv only has 13 hrs on heating system & has not been used (if at all ever) for a few years. The glass bowl fuel filter is only 1/2 full (see photo) should this be totally full ? I think it just not getting any diesel, are there any on/off taps, ps RV has just over 1/4 tank of diesel
thanks andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bird 002.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1966   Click image for larger version

Name:	bird 003.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1967  
Old 06-02-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Good Morning Andy,

Or should I say Good Afternoon to you being in the UK, I can 't help you with your current question but I have a request, please add a permanent signature to your profile, so that it will be automatically added to each of your posts, with all of the information needed, to find out how to do that check out How To Post A New Topic Message Or A Reply To A Topic and Add Your Signature

Thanks,

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-02-2009

Andy,

I cannot answer your questions however I would suggest you join the Hydronic RV Heating Group on Yahoo at: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/HydronicRVHeating/

That group and the forum monitor work those systems.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-02-2009
Forum Moderator

Andy if your system is like most generator setups then the fuel pickup tube is mounted higher than the engine fuel pickup tube. This ensures that the heating system or generator does not run the tank dry. Add some diesel and see if this fixes the problem.
Old 06-02-2009

Default Hurricane Heater will not run

Andy:

There are several switches that must be on for the Hurricane heater to work.

1. The ON/Off control switch located on the side of the electronic control box must be on. This is the top most of the two switches on the side of the box.
2. The On/Off control switch, located on the remote indicator panel must be switched on. This is the panel in the top left kitchen drawer space.
3. The thermostat must be switched to heat and the desired temperature higher than the ambient temp.

** The second or lower switch on the electronic control box turns on the hot water heater.

If you get a fault it can be reset by simply turning off the top switch on the control box.

If you are showing near a 1/4 tank of fuel the first thing I would do is to put fuel in the coach. Since your fuel filter is not full I would suspect that fuel starvation from an inadequate fuel supply is the cause of your problem. The fuel tank must have over 1/4 tank for the heater to work. This is to keep you from letting the heater use up all the fuel and you be stuck without enough fuel to operate the coach.

If you continue to have problems Goggle on Internation Thermal Research Ltd. and they have two offices, one in Vancouver, BC, Canada and one in Vancouver, WA. They are nice people.

I hope I am not making these posts too long.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 06-02-2009
Former Bird Owner

Fuel filter -- I don't have that model Racor filter, but the other Racor filters I have require that the bowl/filter body be full to the rim. So, I'd (1) get a fresh element in the Racor and (2) fill the bowl to the rim with fresh diesel.

On my Aquahot system there is a second, small, in-line fuel filter that also needs to be replaced from time to time.

Since your unit has not been used for some time, the fuel lines may have dried, creating air pockets. Depending on the type and placement of fuel pump(s), this my interfere with fuel flow to the unit.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 06-02-2009

Default Hurricane heater not operating

Pete:

His heater is approximately 6 feet from the fuel tank. The fuel filter you see in the picture is the standard filter for the Hurricane heater. it is different than for the Aqua Hot or Webasto heaters. You may be correct but my bet is that his fuel level is below the level allowing fuel to go to the heater.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 06-02-2009

Default Hurricane Heater

Andy:

This might be a sight that would be of interest to you concerning the Hurricane heater.

http://www.itrheat.com/marine_support.html

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 06-02-2009

thanks everyone for all your coments & help, I think I'll try some more fuel in it first, ive had this before gennys running out of diesel but the tank has been well below 1/4 before this happens
cheers andy

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 06-03-2009
Aqua-Hot Auth Service

Default Hurricane 45XL Heater

You will find the manual for your heater on the ITR website, here: http://itrheat.com/pdf/Hurricane_manual_R4.pdf You have an 45XL Hurricane Heater.

If the heater will not run after adding fuel, read the information on page 19 of the manual about bleeding air out of the fuel line. The 45XL heaters do not have a fuel ‘return’ line to the fuel tank.

If you hook a hose on the bleeder valve, you should see fuel flow out of the fuel bleed valve connection. If you do not have fuel flow, the fuel pump is probably failed or you have a blockage or air leak in your fuel lines. You can determine if the fuel pump is working by connecting a fuel source direct to the heater to see if will pump fuel.

- Roger Berke -
Moderator – http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/HydronicRVHeating/