Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 02-01-2017

Default Trying to keep it legal...

We're doing the Casper, WY trip this summer and I'm concerned we might need auxillary braking in some states. In Georgia, we don't and I believe this falls under the "reciprocity" agreements among states. Nevertheless, it wouldn't hurt to start planning.

I have a Brake Buddy Apollo that I bought at a flea market. It powers up and everything seems to function, except that it never turns off. I should say, seldom turns off. I'm assuming the compressor is controlled by air pressure operating a pressure switch. It has several adjustments, including the PSI at which it operates. I can turn that switch way down without affecting the run time on the compressor.

I haven't cracked it open to look inside but since I called Blue Ox and they haven't made that product in 10 years and would give no help or advice, I figure, what have I got to lose?

Anybody ever looked inside one of these things or worked on one? Am I wasting my time? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2017
Gardner

I would doubt there are many parts inside. You probably have a leak, the compressor is not putting out enough pressure, or the pressure switch has failed. There will be some kind of inertia switch that controls the air to the cylinder (on or off, not a proportional system I believe). Once you see what is in there I challenge you to justify the price of new ones
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-01-2017

Stick I believe that other states honor the state you are licensed in Florida doesn't require brakes on tow dolly or tag .I never worry about it.
Riveted
Old 02-01-2017
Gardner

Here is BrakeBuddy's take on the law, probably is correct.

http://www.brakebuddy.com/towing-laws
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-01-2017

From my understanding you need to be legal in the state your traveling in, each state has its own requirements.

http://www.brakebuddy.com/towing-laws
Old 02-01-2017
Timberlake Products Group

Last I knew Georgia was one of the few non-reciprocating states

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 02-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
Last I knew Georgia was one of the few non-reciprocating states
Ryan, you've probably hit the nail on the head. Heck no, we ain't fergittin'.

I did open it up today and everything inside looks brand new. Clean and neat and color coded. I did find a leak at a plastic cylinder that, if I'm correct, has something to do with the pressure switch. Male plastic fitting on the bottom has cracks and, with the help of a squirt bottle and my automotive stethoscope.

I don't know that this one would be an easy fix, but it looks like a generic bowl (almost like a water separator on an air compressor which it could be) so maybe I can match it up.

Not being familiar with pex or shark bite fittings, it looks like something like that did all the plumbing in the unit. As I said, very neat. Probably worth fixing.
We're leaving on a 2 week trip tomorrow so I put it back together for another day.
Old 02-01-2017

Ok, here's my opinion on this issue. Yes, states do reciprocate on a lot of stuff. Primarily licensing and registration issues. They will also reciprocate as far as putting points on your license should you get convicted of a traffic violation in another state and will suspend you should the other state request it. Before I became a detective, I worked the road and would not give a guy from KY, a ticket for not having a registration plate on his small utility trailer, even though in Indiana it was required, but wasn't in KY. Just common sense is all that is.

Now, let's say a guy was pulling a 4K lb vehicle behind an RV. Will I stop him just to make sure he has a brake system on the towed, since Indiana requires one when a towed weighs 3K lbs +. Not likely. But let that guy do something stupid, then just let me say, "His heart and soul may belong to God, but his a** is mine." What constitutes something stupid? I don't have the time to give you all of them, but essentially, enough of a reason to have me pull him over; or being involved in an accident, especially if it is his fault or at the very least, contributed to it in some way. Common sense again comes into play. Common sense tells all of us that you may not need that much help stopping the bus with a towed on the back, provided all the bus systems are up to par. But what happens if something starts to deteriorate or fail while on a trip. You may wish you had something else helping get you stopped. Then last but not least. You get a ticket for not having the brake system on your towed or heaven for bid you get into an accident. You may end up in court. I have spent hundreds if not maybe thousands of hours in the hot seat of testifying in court or in a deposition. They are going to ask you, if you knew you should have a brake system. Most of us know we should and unless you are a liar, your done. If you are a liar, then you are digging yourself a hole so deep you might as well take lessons speaking Chinese. One thing I would never do is lie under oath or even "stretch the truth." Life as you know it could cease to exist. You can always plead ignorance of the laws of the state you got stopped in. But guess what. They don't care! Ignorance of the law is no excuse anyplace that I know of. It is your responsibility to know those laws. A bit harsh but that is the way it is. Not to mention, if the towed breaks loose and causes an accident and hurt or kills somebody. You might as well bend over and kiss your you know what, good-by. Bottom line it just isn't worth it. If you are going to travel out of the state you live in, you need a good break system that will pass the test anywhere.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME 2020 to Present
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 02-01-2017

Have you or do officers pull people over to check toad brake systems or if the have them ?
How about speed with a toad, I've heard that people get pulled over quite frequently for exceeding towed vehicles speed limits, (should that be another thread)?
Old 02-01-2017
Gardner

A couple of years ago I heard someone got a ticket in NC or SC for not having a brake system. The officer told him that if the center brake light on the toad doesn't turn on it is a good indicator there is no system in the toad.

Since the M&G system doesn't move the pedal I don't know if it lights the center light, but if pulled over you would need to verify there is a system installed.
Ridgewood, New Jersey