Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 06-06-2008
Forum owner

Default titles and VIN numbers

guys,i just want to tell you about a little problem i've run into.
i sold a coach from a guy in Fl to a guy in Ga.
the buyer took the coach down to the DMV to get the VIN verified,making sure the VIN matched the title,most states require this to be done when a coach is re-titled in another state.
Well,the title and the VIN have a number off,just one number.
i had this happen once on a car i bought,and the DMV just changed the number on the title and all was well.
BUT! they cannot change any of the last 5 numbers on a title,all states agree on this.

and this one number thats off is the last number in the VIN.
So,what to do?
The first thing i did was to call BB and make sure the VIN matched the body number,and the coach VIN,matched the body number,so we know the mistake was made after the coach left the factory.
Then i called Buddy Gregg,the dealer that sold the coach when new,the coach is a 93 and Buddy does not have records that old,so,no help at BG.

So,i call the local DMV and they traced it back to 2003,when the coach was brought into Fl from N.H.,and this is when the mistake should have been caught,during the Fl. inspection.

the last number is an 8 on the coach,and a 3 on the title,easy to confuse.

So,the coach came from N.H.,with the wrong number on the title.
Of course,the Fl DMV says its up to the NH DMV to fix the problem,but i think the problem goes further back,i think its always been wrong,since new.
boy,this has been a PITA,and its not over yet.

So,take this as a warning,make sure you check the VIN against the title before you buy a coach,or a car etc..

Randy,

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-07-2008
RV Appraiser

Randy, Have you tried to have a reissued title issued? Some states will do this, call the head of the BMV at the State Level, not the little lady at the local branch. Explain your situation. I sell impounded vehicles at public auction and many of our buyers get a new "CLEAR" title (absent of liens) issued, both Kentucky & Indiana will do this, Kentucky requires a form & Indiana requires a court order by a judge. Tennessee & South Carolina also have similar policies so I am told, because I get a lot of buyers from these states. It can be done, just knowing how is the secret many states don't want you to know, even when they claim they are a title in - title out state. If it looks like a problem be persistant, they usually break down and submit to your request (NOT DEMANDS). Good Luck.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 06-07-2008
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Randy,

I recently went through a similar situation. My coach was originally titled in Florida with one wrong digit. The original owner had the coach in Florida from 1983 through 2006. I caught this when I bought it and registered it in 2007. I initially sent off the original Florida title (with one wrong digit) and the new title came back from the Montana registry with the same wrong digit. At that point I noticed it. This was easily resolved in Montana through a registered agent (Bennett Law Office http://tinyurl.com/3g3u5b) and a new title issued with the correct VIN.

Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 06-07-2008
Forum owner

hi guys,thanks for the replies!
i don't demand when i ask for help,i suck up really well if need be!
we have gone to the state capital here with a request that they look it over,problem is all the records are on micro-phish,so they had to request the fish from archives and all of that,then,throw in a friday for good measure!
so,i expect some kind of reply on monday.
the whole key to this problem is the location of the wrong number,its in the last 5 digits,if it was anywhere else the local girl could change it in person.

as a side note i am a very good customer at the local DMV,its in a small town and i know all the girls (3) by first and last name.
i'm in there quite often,doing some kind of title work or researching a property.
the DMV and the property stuff is in the same building.
i'll keep you advised.
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-07-2008

Interesting, because we just got a letter from Geico indicating that the VIN reported for insurance purposes doesn't match the VIN on file with the state of Floriduh, and as I look at the registration, title, and the plate on the windshield frame they all look identical to me.

Must be something in the water.

(and the required Wanderlodge bits: 1982 PT-40, full-timers, currently in the tropical paradise along the Tex/Mex border)
Old 06-07-2008

Just call your INS. Company And give them the correct # . They will take care of the problem since of is not a title problem.

Glenn