Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-16-2011

Default Need help with toad- 47 Willys fuel hose

When I fill the tank I smell gas and the PO used a radiator hose for the fill hose.
I got 2 ft of 2" I.D. fuel hose but can not bend it to fit. (very heavy wall and it was the flexible one).
What type of metal can I get a 90* made out of for gas use?
I need a 90* 2" O.D. up to 8" of straight after the bend, then I can cut it down to fit and use the hose at each end to connect filler to tank.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 12-16-2011

Maybe the guys at the local muffler shop can bend what you need?
Old 12-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bbird View Post
When I fill the tank I smell gas and the PO used a radiator hose for the fill hose.
I got 2 ft of 2" I.D. fuel hose but can not bend it to fit. (very heavy wall and it was the flexible one).
What type of metal can I get a 90* made out of for gas use?
I need a 90* 2" O.D. up to 8" of straight after the bend, then I can cut it down to fit and use the hose at each end to connect filler to tank.
If at all possible, I would sooner see two 45 degree bends to make up your 90 with a few inches in between the bends. In other words, a less severe transition so you don't encourage the dreaded blow-back fuel in face issue.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 12-16-2011

I have had a muffler shop bend tubing for a fill pipe before, it would be best to not have the bend too sharp as suggested. Come to think on it, it may have been an old Willys at that.
Are you using wire or non-wire for the fill hose? Some fuel fill hoses have wire reinforcing and they are a bear to bend.
6V92 DD
Old 12-16-2011

The CJ2 parts are available as repos. Depends on how original you want to be. I had a friend rebody one in my shop a couple years ago. Major undertaking. D&L Bensinger is one source.

I have used muffler pipe and other thin wall metal tubing for bends mixed with the rubber fuel filler pipe.
"SamDotKat"
Old 12-19-2011

If the exhaust pipe is OK with gas and will not rust I will get 2 -45* 's and try the fuel hose I got, It said it was the flex type but fills like wire inside it and does not bend much at all. My brother In-law gave me an AL 90* pipe and I can see 2 -45*'s will be better.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bbird View Post
If the exhaust pipe is OK with gas and will not rust .

Unless your old truck is different than most of my old trucks and tractors, rust is unfortuanately common in fuel system. Usually from tank. I usually put two fuel filters on my old trucks. Cheap walmart or similar. When first filter in line plugs, I remove and blow out rust, etc, then put it back in. I'm sure that that first filter will degrade over time, that's why I use two.

I'm sure there are more correct ways of avoid rust, such as fiberglassing your tank and those 45s, but that's not always cost effective.
"SamDotKat"
Old 12-19-2011

Perhaps aluminized exhaust tubing would be of benefit to Mark. Anybody know if it would less likely to rust in a fuel environment than standard exhaust tubing?
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 12-25-2011

October or so of last year I replaced the fuel hose on our Safari. All 7' 1" of it. From the filler neck on the front drivers corner all the way over the front axle to the lower forward center of the coach. 2" ID WIRE reinforced Fuel Hose & clamps I bought from River City Hose - Austin. The hose was also clearly marked as Fuel AND Exhaust hose. I'm thinking maybe some sort of offshore boat application where they run water through it as well to keep the noise down. Or maybe it will keep up with the high temps. Anyway, It can be made to bend but it's stiff as ****, so a hot day and laying it out on the Concrete to make it more pliable is a good thing.

All the "diesel/big truck" folks were quoting 2-3 hundred dollars for that much hose and NAPA had some 3 ft lengths with the right ID ($40) but not reinforced. River City Hose charged me $54.81 for the hose and 2 very nice new clamps that made the old ones look like toys.

Ken - Austin, Texas -
'94 34' Safari Serengeti sold - Mom remarried @71 and they upgraded to a newer Coach w/Slides

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 12-25-2011

Thank you ALL!
It looks like the 2" flex with wire is the recommended hose and after Christmas I will get 2, 45*s and play with it. Those H. D. clamps sounds like what I need too.
Marry Christmas everyone!!!!!
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!