Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-06-2012

Default Noise in Inverter

I have a Heart Freedom 25 Inverter (now owned by Xantrax) in my BMC and it has started making noises like a motor with a bad bearing while plugged into shore power. I have the inverter turned off (which is the usual case unless we need it driving down the road) and so only the battery charger part is actually on (which I think is on all the time when plugged into shore power). I turned off the battery charger breaker and the noise quit so it is in that part of the unit somewhere

I understand these things have fans in them so I was wondering if it could be a fan bearing and if so could I lubricate that somehow or replace just that part of the unit. If someone has experience with this particular inverter and the internal batter charger can you give me some insight into what might be the problem and what I might do at this point.

My plan currently is to turn it off at night and only run it during the day until I get it fixed. I do not want it to get too hot and maybe start a fire or something.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 07-06-2012
RV Appraiser

To cool off the unit couldn't you use a small fan to blow on it? I have a small fan in that compartment to blow on mine, I guess it is helping I haven't had a problem so far. As for lubercating the bearing, maybe you can but I would be careful and not let the lube get to the inards of the inverter. I think it is just our heat wave causing some of these problems. High demand loads & high heat are not our friends.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 07-13-2012

Default Excellent Inverter Shop

Well, the noise in my battery charger inside the heart Freedom 25 was the fan.

And thanks to Kurt Horvath we got it fixed rather than having to replace the whole unit. Kurt posted about a repair he had done in 08, and since we are now in Nashville while Jacque is at Vanderbilt it looked like a good place to try.

Here are Kurt's comments

"Just north Nashville try Maryville Marine. It is a top notch repair facility for all Heart and Xantrex products, they can repair or exchange your Freedom and trouble shoot any inverter problems. They do lots of busses in the Nashville area and have a large Marine business, Shop rates are very reasonable @ $75 per hour. I used their services just a month or so ago and for 3 hours of work + parts. 2, 400amp fuses and some other stuff the bill was $289.00"

Kurt Horvath
PT-42
10AC

Inverter Sales and Service-Division of Maryville Marine Distributors
102 SCT Drive
White House TN

PJ Gonzalez
Phone: 615-285-0611
Fax: 615-285-0663
Email: pgonzales@inverterservicecenter.com"

They replaced my fan in the charger, and found a battery cable that was just about broken at the end and fixed all that in under an hour. Labor rates are now up to $85/hr, and since I had a chance to watch him do it that would be simple to do if I ever have to do it again. The little 12V fan was $26, but when you are buying parts form the repair shop, that's the way it goes. Anyway the total bill was $125 which included the 10% TN sales tax. So I'm happy, as a new inverter was going to be about $1400.

BTW, the fan is in the back of the Freedom 25 held in by four screws into it from the outside on the back and connected to two wires so after you get the u-shaped inverter top off (lots of little screws) and can move it where you can get to those screws holding the fan, the fan just slides out from the top. Its a pretty simple plastic fan like the size used on a computer, plastic blades and all.

It's all good

Best,

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 07-13-2012

We love cheap fixes here and by my measure $125 is cheap when we are discussing a Bird repair!!

Glad you got a good tip and it worked out so well.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 07-13-2012

Lee,
Nice talking with you the other day, and glad that you were able to get it fixed quickly and at a reasonable price.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio