Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-05-2016
BMC 37 Song Bird

Default aqua hot antifreeze

Mornin all.
Is the 50/50 Antifreeze mix in the Aqua Hot standard automotive coolant or something special?? If special where can I locate it.
Song Bird
Old 12-05-2016

Hi James, this thread might help, especially #11 http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=11548
8.3 Cummins
F110660
Old 12-05-2016
BMC 37 Song Bird

Good info thks.
Song Bird
Old 12-09-2016
full timer

The red liquid in the photo is a polypropylene glycol solution. This boiler solution is non-toxic and hard to get your hands on. I don't know the cost because I've never used it. The green solution discussed is ethylene glycol. Ethylene glycol is common antifreeze. The problem with ethylene glycol or common antifreeze is that it is toxic. The use and recommendation of using polypropylene glycol is likely a recommendation of the legal department of AquaHot. If a hole in the copper tubing within the Aquahot should develop and you lose water pressure the antifreeze solution within the Aquahot could enter the pure water system and you could drink some amount of the antifreeze before you spit it across the room. You decide what solution to use. I use the green ethylene glycol solution.

Eric, currently in Las Vegas
full timing in my bird since 6/04
Old 12-09-2016

Eric,

I may be wrong, but I understood the potable water was in a coil around the outside of the A-H tank, so contamination would be next to impossible. I think the coil inside the tank is for the engine heating.

I use the same coolant in my engine, genset, and A-H so as not to have so many jugs on the bus.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire View Post
The red liquid in the photo is a polypropylene glycol solution. This boiler solution is non-toxic and hard to get your hands on. I don't know the cost because I've never used it. The green solution discussed is ethylene glycol. Ethylene glycol is common antifreeze. The problem with ethylene glycol or common antifreeze is that it is toxic. The use and recommendation of using polypropylene glycol is likely a recommendation of the legal department of AquaHot. If a hole in the copper tubing within the Aquahot should develop and you lose water pressure the antifreeze solution within the Aquahot could enter the pure water system and you could drink some amount of the antifreeze before you spit it across the room. You decide what solution to use. I use the green ethylene glycol solution.

Eric, currently in Las Vegas
FYI that's on the newer aquahots..on the old ones I believe the heating coils (with water in them) are wrapped on the OUTSIDE of the tank so no contamination possible...on the newer ones I believe the coils are IN the tank so non-toxic antifreeze is spec'd.

Here is a link to a post with pics of the older style..

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...&postcount=242
1984 FC35RB Sold

Last edited by dmurdock; 12-09-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: had it backwards!
Old 12-09-2016
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Eric,

I may be wrong, but I understood the potable water was in a coil around the outside of the A-H tank, so contamination would be next to impossible. I think the coil inside the tank is for the engine heating.

I use the same coolant in my engine, genset, and A-H so as not to have so many jugs on the bus.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Your right Ron.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com