Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 02-08-2011

Default Sea Foam Engine Additive

I have read a couple of things about Sea Foam... says its good for gas or diesel... susspose to do everything except clean your tires and wheels while waiting at a red light... has anyone used this stuff before... are there any pros and cons... my odometer reads 71K miles... but I think that maybe about 25 to 30K off after I had a computer hooked up by Cummins... I think the PO may have changed the speedometer because there are no stickers that it was ever changed at the factory or Parliament.

Thanks in advance
"Heads Carolina, Tails California"
Old 02-08-2011

I use the stuff in motorcycles to clean and keep clean the carburetors. It will work well if things are not gunked up too badly. I think it's a good preventative in this application but it's not going to work miracles either. I have not used it with the BB and haven't found a reason to do so. Lots of guys add auto trans fluid to their diesel fuel to clean injectors. I don't know if sea foam would do the same. There has been some discussion about sea foam, don't remember the details or if there was agreement pro or con. I also add stabil to the gas engine stuff.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-08-2011

This is for information purposes only. I did the Dunks decarb on my 50HP Yamaha outboard., and was impressed with the results. But I would never do it again in my neighborhood. It is a smokey affair! I could not find a good link that did not require a loggin and password onto another forum. I found this.

http://pascohernandofishing.info/vie...t=1210&start=0

The diesel injector purge I have done to a VW TDI and a Mercedes Diesel also. I found the biggest change in the Mercedes. I would check with Cat or whoever before doing anything outside the norm. Or another forum...hahah, you can find anything you want on the forums!

http://www.dieselgiant.com/injectorcleaning.htm

http://www.mercedessource.com/node/791

Capt. Jack
Author: "You Can't Make This Stuff Up"
My Thirty years as Captain in the Bering Sea
Old 02-08-2011

Here's what I do on my 03 VW TDI-Remove the fuel filter. Take the new filter and fill it with SEAFOAM, or DIESEL 911 and screw it on, start it up and go. ATF in the tank every 4th fill up or so. A quart or so. Average MPG since May 03, 80K miles is 43.6 and I drive it hard. Only mod to the car is removing the muffler. Straight pipe plus the cat. No tuner box.

-Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 02-08-2011

On a car, be prepared to smoke out your neighborhood. Not sure if our monster engines would react the same or not.

I don't use the stuff, I was always taught to run things "hard" without abusing them, and that was the best way to keep them running right, aka "Italian tuneup".
VB 1570
Old 02-08-2011

Markus, You are correct about using a motor hard. If you baby a TDI VW the intake manifold will coke up. If you drive it hard it will be happier and perform better overall. I have gotten 60+ mpg driving very easy and using cruize control at about 55mph for 200 miles.

-Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther