Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 05-31-2008
Former Bird Owner

Unhappy Need Muffler

I have a 95 PT-42 with the DD Series 60 engine.

I'm currently at CCW in Riverside having some service work done (so far, good service...) but my muffler is rusted out and needs to be replaced.

So far, the only solution is to get one from DD in Detroit, build to special order with 7 to 10 days before shipment -- major bummer there!

Does anyone know of a heavy duty/truck muffler service that might be able to fabricate a muffler for my coach more quickly than waiting for one from Detroit?

Thanks.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 05-31-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteaeonix View Post

I'm currently at CCW in Riverside having some service work done (so far, good service...) but my muffler is rusted out and needs to be replaced.

So far, the only solution is to get one from DD in Detroit, build to special order with 7 to 10 days before shipment -- major bummer there!

Does anyone know of a heavy duty/truck muffler service that might be able to fabricate a muffler for my coach more quickly than waiting for one from Detroit?

Thanks.

Since you are going to have to have one built, why not try to save yourself some $$$ and see if the old guts of your muffler can be used, like Jeff Clary did with his, for around $100.00. Since you are going to have to have someone else doing the labor and supplying the metal, it will cost you more than they spent, but it still should be substantially less than what Detroit is charging for theirs.

http://www.pbase.com/image/78850362

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/97922191

here it is in a PDF file 100 DOLLAR MUFFLER.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 100 DOLLAR MUFFLER.pdf (456.8 KB, 430 views)

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-01-2008
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteaeonix View Post

Thanks.
Hi Pete,

This might not be any help but you may want to call Ironman Parts in Corona, Ca. (1-800-247-8540) (http://www.ironmanparts.com/iro_index.cfm). I bought a Dynaflex muffler clamp from them a few years ago and they said that they could also supply a muffler for my 84 ½ Pt-36 (Detroit 6v92) if I needed it. I don’t know if they stock them or if they have to order them. My muffler had a “Stemco” part number on it that they crossed to a “Donaldson” number.

Good Luck,
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001

Old 06-01-2008

http://www.mandrelbending-tubefabrication.com/

you can try these guys also
http://www.macmuffler.com/custom.htm

Email stephenbirtles@hotmail.com
Telephone 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 06-01-2008
Forum owner

i would bet that if you measured the muffler,and the inlet/outlet and looked in a stemco or other muffler book you can find one that fits,i doubt it wasmade just for a Bird.
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-01-2008

I would have zoomies, call around to the salvage yards http://www.colawrvsalvage.com/
Old 06-01-2008

Talking Detroit Diesel Muffler

Call Fleetpride .I got mine on my 85 PT 40 for under 300.00 . It,s worth a try.Lee Condosta 85 PT 40.Hold up at the KOA in Wilmington N.C
Old 06-01-2008
Former Bird Owner

Thanks all... you've given me some good leads.

I've downloaded the Dynaflex catalog (they're an exhaust system mfg. co.) and it appears that we just need to pull the old muffler, and match the components that need replacing then match them up. Since they're located in Commerce CA, they're quite nearby so there shouldn't be a big delay.

Thanks

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 06-02-2008

Pete,
How did they decide that your muffler needs replacing? Is it something they saw from underneath or through the engine bay? Was it obvious or just subtle telltale markings?
Thanks!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 06-02-2008
Former Bird Owner

I requested that the muffler be inspected as part of an overall service. The inspection revealed several holes. Looking from the top, the outlet pipe is barely being held in place and there is a huge hole. At the bottom, there's an obvious hole in the side of the muffler. It's clearly "shot"...

The coach sat out this last winter --- and was rained on a bunch of times while we were in Texas. The current end-pipe allows rain water to just pour down the exhaust pipe -- I'll replace it with a true 90 degree bend pipe. I think this last season may have simply been "too much." -- But I think it had already been rusting for some time.

After sharing the responses on this (and another) list with the service manager, he got creative and a new muffler is being delivered tomorrow and will be installed. Then I'll be able to go home... finally.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com