Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 03-16-2009

Question Hurricane Hot Water

Our 2004 M-380 (baby bird) Hurricane Hot Water has not worked good from day one. Anyone have any problems, if so what did you do....
Old 03-16-2009
Forum owner

Hi Wayne,welcome to the forum!
i know very little about the hurricane system.
can you tell us more about what its doing? or not doing?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-16-2009

Wayne, this group is pretty good at troubleshooting the systems on these birds. You just need to let them know what is going on and chances are somebody has had that problem before and they can help you out.

In addition, be advised there is a Yahoo Group Forum on Hydronic RV Heating that I check in with from time to time for tips and potential things to look out for. Link: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...ec=group&slk=2

Just my $.02.

Good luck,
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 03-16-2009

Wayne, welcome to the forum. I've met you in the past and seen your collection of cars (Bill Flowers is my brother-in-law).

Your coach has a Hurricane CO45XL heating system, same as mine. The only problem I've had was a bad circulating pump. I highly recommend your contacting Hurricane directly at www.itrheat.com/marine_support.html and they can help you. They are very willing to provide help over the phone. I also recomment your contacting John bleakley Motor Homes in Unadilla, GA. Speak to Glenn McCormick, Service Mgr or Johnney Anderson, Bluebird Tech. They can be reached at (478) 627-3700.

I'll also forward you a private email with the manual for the heater attached.

Doug Ralston
'03 M-380
Roswell, GA
Old 03-16-2009
popeye

Wayne-

I'm pretty familiar with the Hurricane products from the marine side - I rebuilt a CO65 and have installed (twice) a Hurricane II. I think the RV side are all substantially the same - I'd be glad to talk to you as part of a troubleshoot. I'm under my bus today but would be glad to talk to you at your convenience.
Old 03-17-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

[quote=Coach Driver;16373]Wayne, welcome to the forum. I've met you in the past and seen your collection of cars (Bill Flowers is my brother-in-law).

Your coach has a Hurricane CO45XL heating system, same as mine. The only problem I've had was a bad circulating pump. I highly recommend your contacting Hurricane directly at www.itrheat.com/marine_support.html and they can help you. They are very willing to provide help over the phone. I also recomment your contacting John bleakley Motor Homes in Unadilla, GA. Speak to Glenn McCormick, Service Mgr or Johnney Anderson, Bluebird Tech. They can be reached at (478) 627-3700.

I'll also forward you a private email with the manual for the heater attached.[/quote]

Thanks to Doug we now have the Hurricane Heater Manual and supplement downloaded into the Database, they can be found at;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Manuals and Files Stored in This Forums Software DATABASE > Index of Downloaded Manuals and Files in Forums Software Database

HURRICANE HEATER/ 17-Mar-2009 03:46 -
Hurricane_manual_R4.pdf 17-Mar-2009 03:46 2.6M

itr_manual_chap_9_XL..> 17-Mar-2009 03:45 603k

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-11-2010

Default Hurrucane Hot Water

Finally, after 4 years we got our question answered, Bleakley sent the Hurricane to the factory after we have spent over $8,000 on it and they found the problem, a piece of wood was in the line, had to be when it was put into the unit. And with BLUE BIRD out of business guess who is having to pay for there mistake, This cost us $4,200 and we will put it to the test the next two weeks.
I hope I never have to take a cold shower again.
Old 09-12-2010

Wayne, I've had a few problems with my Hurricane Heater but nothing as bad as you experienced. Most of mine were related to the circulating pump or lack there of causing overheating. What were the symptoms you saw? Where was that piece of wood found and how big was it?
Old 02-06-2011

Default Hurricane Heater Overheats again

My Hurricane Heater's circulating pump has stopped running again causing an over-temp alarm and shutdown. Replacing this pump requires disconnecting 8 hoses and at least a dozen wires to pull the unit from the bay. That is a job I don't want to do again if there is any way to avoid it.

Troubleshooting the pump began with the usual checking for loose electrical connections. I found that pushing on the caps which retain the brushes would cause the motor to run, releasing them caused the motor to stop. The front brush was easily accessed, the rear brush is up against the enclosure and is inaccessible. I found the front brush so badly worn that only a small fragment remained. Fortunately, I had bought two new ones 1/4 x 5/16 x 1/2 from Parliament. Brushes were expensive but a lot less costly than a new pump.

I determined the rear brush can be replaced without pulling the unit by disassembling the motor in place. Process is simple, remove the front brush and the two 1/4" machine screws that hold the cover on the motor housing. Pull off the motor end-cover to expose the commutator and the shaft bearing.

While checking the remains of the rear brush, I made an important discovery. It turns out that the plastic brush holders were fastened in the motor's end-cover using an adhesive which finally let go allowing the motor's hot wire to contact the end cover which explains the blown fuse that I experienced.

The fix was simple. Remove both plastic holders from the cover, tap existing holes in the cover with 10-24 NC threads, remove the old adhesive, put it all back together using blue lok- tite and a pair of 10-24 x 3/16 set screws. I reinstalled the rear brush in the end cover, fit it over the bearing and commutator, reinstalled the two machine screws and the remaining brush. Reconnected the power, replaced the fuse and all is well.

The other problem I've had are occasional flame outs. They seem to be more likely to occur if there is less than 3/8 of a tank of diesel. I have a spare nozzle and fuel filter that I'll install before the next trip. I have a new operating rule. Don't stop for a night unless the tank is more than 1/2 full. Makes taking showers a lot more comfortable.

I am getting to know this system too well!