Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 06-12-2014

Default Lithium batteries setup

Wow, this is very interesting!!
Not cheap, but I have to get more info on that...
I only have two big 12v batteries in the entire bird right now, so I can start from scratch...
http://www.technomadia.com/2012/09/a...-rv-batteries/
Old 06-12-2014

Well timed post as it's battery upgrade time. After reading Technomad's blog i came upon this .pdf written by a boater who switched to Lith-ion.
http://marazuladventures.files.wordp...batteries8.pdf

Lots of positives about this technology although initial cost is not one of them. Given my current set up i would need to purchase approx. 700 ah of Lith-ion and a Battery Management System at a very rough cost of around $5,000 vs. replacing with Lifeline batteries at a cost of a bit over $3,000.

One question/negative brought up on another forum was how the reduction of 600 lbs. on one side of the coach would effect handling?
Old 06-13-2014

Pierce has been experimenting with those. But then this is a guy who built his own electric car. Every time I have an electrical problem I go running to him for help. I think he is having some issues with the available chargers not being compatible.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...t=17148&page=4
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 06-13-2014

I changed out my 6 8D lead acid batteries to LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate, to distinguish from other Lithion ion batteries which have caught fire, the LiFePO4 are very safe and environmentally safe) this past winter. I have documented my install over here: http://newellgurus.com/Thread-Lithium-battery-install
I now have 1000 amp hours of capacity which is actually quite a bit more than the lead acids since I can go down to 80% discharge. Very pleased with the system and I not only removed about 600# but gained quite a bit of storage space.
The total cost of my system came in at $4000 which was the same as 6 8D AGM batteries. If you have any questions I'd be glad to give you some of my experiences. This forum has quite a bit of info that live aboard boaters have gathered: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/
Just do a search on LiFePO4 and you'll have more info than you want, especially search for user MaineSail
2004 Z71
2013 RZR 570LE
Old 06-13-2014

Hello Forest,

Just finished reading your experiences on the Newell Forum, very good read, will re-read and then try to organize my questions. I'd welcome the opportunity to speak with you and will PM you later.

Thanks for spending the time to describe your install, it is of great benefit to those of us that want to upgrade.
Old 06-13-2014

If spending big bucks why not solar that delivers power like a battery while the sun's shining, so your batteries get the day off and only pull the night shift, having maybe gotten a little boost during the day from the solar.

What about Tesla's Panasonic batteries or some such in a Bird. Is it possible to hook 'em to 12 volt?
Old 06-13-2014

Nice upgrade Forest!

Last year I converted my 2008 EVT-4000 electric scooter from the original lead acid batteries to lithiums. I happen to live just 5 miles from the place in Tempe AZ that the Technomadia folks bought their batteries from and found working with them directly to be very helpful. It was a complicated and not in-expensive project but the results (including a 90# weight savings) have been amazing! When the time comes to replace the AGM's in my "new" m380, lithiums will be at the top of my list. Also on my "list" this next year is a complete electrical system review to reduce/eliminate all the unnecessary vampire loads and add a nice solar system better than I have on my soon-to-be-sold SOB "Boondocker". The two together would be an awesome off-the-grid combination! If you have an Apple iPad/iPhone/Mac, feel free to check out my comments and pictures of the scooter conversion project at:

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A85nhQST2vByy

Last edited by NoGas; 06-13-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2014

I have been reading alot about this setup since starting this thread and am leaning towards getting the lithium batteries as my actual setup in my FC is simply not appropriate and my old converter is probably going to die soon...

There is only 3 batteries in my bird right now, 2 new bigger 12v deep cycle batteries in the battery tray and an old 12v battery in the gen tray...

No need to say that if I don't shut off the battery switch at night, I can't start in the morning...

Maybe right now, my only problem is that my old battery in the gen tray is finished... but still, only 2 12v up front is not cutting it. Other problem would be to find someone with access to these products and knowledge to install it locally...
Old 06-19-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
What about Tesla's Panasonic batteries or some such in a Bird. Is it possible to hook 'em to 12 volt?
I've heard a buzz for several years now about reconditioning the battery packs from hybrid cars. Apparently, they are replaced as a pack when the car goes in to the dealer with battery problems. But the pack can be rebuilt/reconditioned without going to all the expense of complete pack replacement--a few failed cells are often the extent of the problem.

Anyway, a determined energy tinkerer might get a lot of relatively cheap battery capacity by reconditioning a salvaged take-out Prius battery, and hacking it into a 12V application like an RV house battery bay.

I haven't done this, I'm just passing along a second-hand idea because you might find it interesting.

Here a link to a guy who reported in Forbes about saving big bucks on the reconditioning scene:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybrad...ds-of-dollars/

Look around the web, there have been how-to articles that claim old hybrid car batteries are available and can enjoy new life.

I'd be remiss if I didn't state that all standard disclaimers apply--I'm not responsible if you try this. Personally, I'm truly afraid of the damage a big battery bank will cause to flesh and blood, not to mention a coach, if it accidently discharges in a hurry. They don't suffer fools or short circuits lightly. But in the right hands, they're a brilliant innovation. Know what you're doing before you hook them up!

Have fun, good luck, and shine on
Portsmouth, Va
Old 11-07-2014

Default Planning stage for solar/lithium upgrade, recommendations appreciated

Took coach out briefly to test the new exhaust yesterday morning, came back, plugged in, left inverter on and went for lunch. By the time I (thankfully) returned, the two lead acid engine batts were boiling away furiously! Master off, inverter off and now need to figure out why this happened. Not a fan of BB's electrical system design! With my experience mentioned in post #7 above, I'm thinking a full-up lithium pack similar to Technomadia and the Newell guy, with an upgraded pure sine wave inverter powered by solar, of course. Wondering how the projects mentioned in this post are coming or if anyone else is ready to dump their lead-acids/AGM's?