Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 10-04-2022

Default Storm damage

Last Friday had a friend of our son call and said a contractor came by their house which is about 4 miles south of Venice Fl .Yes they had storm damage to the roof shingles missing for 1,000 dollars for 100 sq, ft they would put some plastic on with staples and plastic headed roof nail .We went to home depot and bought rolled roofing about 50 times better than contractor offered ,cost 53 dollars for 100 sq ft .Saturday drove to sons house in Sarasota. Sunday morning drove to Venice and 5 hrs later installed 450 sq, ft of roof patch.This contractor did hook some people on their street ,anything for a dollars Drive home was tired but felt good.
Riveted
Old 10-04-2022

There's a special place that's particularly warm for scammers like that.
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Old 10-04-2022

Did they get a number for the contractor? To pass onto the authorities?
360-434-3839
Old 10-05-2022

One of my favorite things was going after home repair scammers. They are all over the place and usually target the elderly. One of my reasons for hating them as much as I do is that one of them picked my grandfather as a victim back in 1975. The clown came to my granddad's town, worked on a house and did a good or at least acceptable job for a fair price. Then he went to work. He canvased the town and "recruited" potential victims with his B.S. and took their money, because he needed that to buy the materials. Anyway, you know the rest he never came back. My granddad was really upset and didn't want to tell me what happened. But anyway, he did and since I was a "Rookie" and didn't know what to do, I at least had the sense to contact one of our detectives and asked him to look into it. They worked hard and tracked this A hole to Oklahoma and they nailed him and sent him back to Indiana. He went to trial and lost and most of his assets were seized and the victims got most if not all of their money back, from the sale of his assets. I think that was the main inspiration for me to become a detective.

My first shot at these vermin was maybe 10 years later when I was a detective and a 90 year old woman was taken advantage of by some Gypsy home improvement scammers, that happened to be located in our area. They had been ripping people off for years, but they were smart and always escaped prosecution, because of dong just enough to keep them out of jail. So this 90 year old's son called me one day and told me that these guys stopped at his mom's house and told her her chimney was in desperate need of repair. They gave her all the gloom and doom about what would happen if she didn't get it fixed. She said, "What should I do?" Of course they were more than glad to tell her that they would be glad to fix it and if she could give them the money for materials, they would be glad to do the labor for nothing. So she thought, what a deal! She gave them $1900 for materials. They went to the local hardware store and bought a can of aluminum paint and spray painted her brick chimney and told her she was good for the next 20 years. The son told me what they looked like and what they were driving, as given by his mother. I suspected a character by the name of Lucie Stanley. I did a records check and found out he crossed the line in Rush County, Indiana and that they had an aggressive prosecutor down there and issued as warrant for Lucius L. Stanley, better known as Lucie Stanley. So I grabbed a couple of local deputies from the Huntington County Sheriff's Department and we went looking for Lucie. Late one evening, I drove by the local hangout and saw the truck as described by the victim's son. I called for a couple of Troopers to come and assist me, but they were not close. I called the deputies that I had talked with before and they were close by. So I went up to Lucie and told him I needed to talk with him down at the jail. So he came along and I explained to him that he was under investigation for home improvement fraud. I told him what I knew and he said, "Can I call my uncle Lucius?" That was Lucie's namesake and apparently closest relative. I said, "Sure." So he gets on the phone talks with his uncle and then hands the phone to me. The old man says that Lucie may have made a mistake and if he, the uncle, went brought me the money would I not charge Lucie? I said sure, but I was not taking the money. The uncle would have to take it to the victim's son and once the victim's son said that he had the money then I would release Lucie. The uncle said that was a deal. I said good. So the uncle goes down to pay the son the $1900 and the son calls me to tell me he had it. The uncle shows up at the jail. I go out to meet him and he said he was there to pick up Lucie and I said, "Sorry about your luck, but Lucie was on he way down to Rush County, with a couple of Rush County deputies, who found out we had him and they had a warrant for him on another charge, in their county. He started giving me a hard time and I advised him, "I kept my word, I did not charge Lucie. Rush County found out he was here and came and got him, I have no control over that and any further outbursts by you, you will be in this jail, as my guest. I have no idea if their is a bond to get Lucie out, but you will have to go to Rushville, to find that out." Lucius, left grumbling to himself as he walked away. I think I heard something that sounded about like "A hole cops", which brought a huge grin to my face. I ran into Lucius sometime later and inquired about Lucie. He said that he ended up doing a couple of years of time, for his scam in Rush County. I told Lucius, that he needed to explain to his nephew that you should never s**t in your own back yard, because that will cause you a lot of grief. He responded with, "I think he knows that now." I never had another incident involving the Stanyels for the rest of my career with the State Police.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME 2020 to Present
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 10-05-2022
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
One of my favorite things was going after home repair scammers. They are all over the place and usually target the elderly. One of my reasons for hating them as much as I do is that one of them picked my grandfather as a victim back in 1975. The clown came to my granddad's town, worked on a house and did a good or at least acceptable job for a fair price. Then he went to work. He canvased the town and "recruited" potential victims with his B.S. and took their money, because he needed that to buy the materials. Anyway, you know the rest he never came back. My granddad was really upset and didn't want to tell me what happened. But anyway, he did and since I was a "Rookie" and didn't know what to do, I at least had the sense to contact one of our detectives and asked him to look into it. They worked hard and tracked this A hole to Oklahoma and they nailed him and sent him back to Indiana. He went to trial and lost and most of his assets were seized and the victims got most if not all of their money back, from the sale of his assets. I think that was the main inspiration for me to become a detective.

My first shot at these vermin was maybe 10 years later when I was a detective and a 90 year old woman was taken advantage of by some Gypsy home improvement scammers, that happened to be located in our area. They had been ripping people off for years, but they were smart and always escaped prosecution, because of dong just enough to keep them out of jail. So this 90 year old's son called me one day and told me that these guys stopped at his mom's house and told her her chimney was in desperate need of repair. They gave her all the gloom and doom about what would happen if she didn't get it fixed. She said, "What should I do?" Of course they were more than glad to tell her that they would be glad to fix it and if she could give them the money for materials, they would be glad to do the labor for nothing. So she thought, what a deal! She gave them $1900 for materials. They went to the local hardware store and bought a can of aluminum paint and spray painted her brick chimney and told her she was good for the next 20 years. The son told me what they looked like and what they were driving, as given by his mother. I suspected a character by the name of Lucie Stanley. I did a records check and found out he crossed the line in Rush County, Indiana and that they had an aggressive prosecutor down there and issued as warrant for Lucius L. Stanley, better known as Lucie Stanley. So I grabbed a couple of local deputies from the Huntington County Sheriff's Department and we went looking for Lucie. Late one evening, I drove by the local hangout and saw the truck as described by the victim's son. I called for a couple of Troopers to come and assist me, but they were not close. I called the deputies that I had talked with before and they were close by. So I went up to Lucie and told him I needed to talk with him down at the jail. So he came along and I explained to him that he was under investigation for home improvement fraud. I told him what I knew and he said, "Can I call my uncle Lucius?" That was Lucie's namesake and apparently closest relative. I said, "Sure." So he gets on the phone talks with his uncle and then hands the phone to me. The old man says that Lucie may have made a mistake and if he, the uncle, went brought me the money would I not charge Lucie? I said sure, but I was not taking the money. The uncle would have to take it to the victim's son and once the victim's son said that he had the money then I would release Lucie. The uncle said that was a deal. I said good. So the uncle goes down to pay the son the $1900 and the son calls me to tell me he had it. The uncle shows up at the jail. I go out to meet him and he said he was there to pick up Lucie and I said, "Sorry about your luck, but Lucie was on he way down to Rush County, with a couple of Rush County deputies, who found out we had him and they had a warrant for him on another charge, in their county. He started giving me a hard time and I advised him, "I kept my word, I did not charge Lucie. Rush County found out he was here and came and got him, I have no control over that and any further outbursts by you, you will be in this jail, as my guest. I have no idea if their is a bond to get Lucie out, but you will have to go to Rushville, to find that out." Lucius, left grumbling to himself as he walked away. I think I heard something that sounded about like "A hole cops", which brought a huge grin to my face. I ran into Lucius sometime later and inquired about Lucie. He said that he ended up doing a couple of years of time, for his scam in Rush County. I told Lucius, that he needed to explain to his nephew that you should never s**t in your own back yard, because that will cause you a lot of grief. He responded with, "I think he knows that now." I never had another incident involving the Stanyels for the rest of my career with the State Police.

You sir were a good cop.
Nice work Detective!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-05-2022

Jim really good write up ,extremely difficult to catch, and yes these guys were from another state ,unfortunately a lot of potential victims .
Riveted
Old 10-05-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
You sir were a good cop.
Nice work Detective!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujimo View Post
Jim really good write up ,extremely difficult to catch, and yes these guys were from another state ,unfortunately a lot of potential victims .
Thanks guys. I was always pro-victim in as many of my cases as I could be. Many times, victim got to see the perp punished, but they were left holding the bag and lost their money or personal items. Before I put a guy into the system, I tried to figure out a way to get the victim something out of it, if at all possible. The courts were handcuffed too much, to get restitution, in every case. Sometimes they could but more often than not they couldn't. There was a pawn shop in Fort Wayne that hated me with a passion. Every time I walked in there they knew they were going to lose money. The city had an ordinance that they had to record all of their purchases and sales and send them over to the police department. So, when we had a burglary of *******, household goods, tools etc. the first place I would head was to Fort Wayne P.D. Huntington was too small of a town to try and get rid of some stuff, but in the "big city" it could get lost real quick. I also scanned the local "Peddler's Post" paper for stolen items along with Craigslist later in my career. I solved more cases that way than you can imagine, plus I got a lot of stuff back for people. It was a fun time.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME 2020 to Present
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 10-05-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post

Nice play you ran on him, love it.
Double Slide
Old 10-05-2022

First time I had to have my barn roof painted. I haggled the traveling painter down on price. It lasted for about 5 years. The next time a painter had bought the place up the road from me. He stopped and wanted to paint the roof. He wanted far more than what I paid the first time. But figured I'd support the local guy. That was 22 years ago and it still looks good today.
Double Slide
Old 10-05-2022

Great one, Jim. I like "Story Time." I knew you had at least one more in you.

Timothy
2004 WJ Columbia Edition
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net