Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-20-2014

Unhappy My CAT (3208 NA) has a cold - leaking fuel / oil

My Cat 3208 NA has developed a leak (fuel, I believe) that is appears to be dripping down onto the exhaust and covering the whole right lower side of the engine, starter, etc. I replaced the throttle rod seal, so the valley is dry, I bleed the fuel lines at the cylinder heads (as per Cat Manual) - leak showed up after (all was clean and dry prior). I replaced the gasket on on the valve cover but no change. The top of the engine is clean except for what appears to be little fuel leaking - but does not seem to be enough to make such a mess! Very small amount!!!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

While digging around in the engine compartment (dog house gone), I notice that all of one loose bolt is holding the engine AC compressor on. My CAT would not be happy if that one let go - so AC fix time as well!

But, it has been good to me!

Photos - http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...pictureid=5130
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	30919  
the (SLO-CAN) :

Last edited by Mustang88; 08-20-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Photos in Album
Old 08-20-2014

Default Fuel leak

Could be a fuel line on the injector or at the injection pump not tight enough or a nick in the seat on the line or injector. Clean it off good with power wash or brake clean and try to find it. If you have a pinhole in a fuel line from a loose clamp bracket or a place where two lines are rubbing or a throttle return spring rubbing they will eventually rub through. Maybe Mike H will chime in he is the 3208 expert.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 08-20-2014

Sounds like a flare nut is leaking @ the head. Brake kleen shower, keep it dry, keep searching with bright light.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-20-2014

Kevin, Looks like oil to me. I had a leak with our FC that covered much like yours. Turned out to be a hole in the Dip Stick Tube. You sure that's a fuel leak?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-20-2014

Thanks Rick, I will try reseating the fuel lines at the fuel injectors. Just would think fuel would end up in the valley instead of running down the side.

Top of the engine is pretty clean, so I think I will try a little flour. Going to take if for a little run with the doghouse removed and see if I have any luck finding it!
the (SLO-CAN) :
Old 08-20-2014

Rick,

That could be it! Dip stick tube was little oily and I though maybe it had not seated the dipstick properly! When I was fixing the throttle rod seal, I also replaced fuel lines and moved the compressor line that was zip tied to the dipstick! That might have caused a dipstick problem!
the (SLO-CAN) :
Old 08-20-2014

Just as a thought, I just replaced my fuel lines to the filter. Both the supply and return lines where original. When I wiped them clean they were dull. When I ran the motor they would shine back up. I only found this because it had gotten bad enough to drip down the trans dip stick tube and when driving would blow back on the transmission or at idle would drip around the starter. You can't see the fuel leaving the line. When I pulled both lines and let them dry out they crumbled some what on the inside. The bus never did draw air or quit running.

Last edited by awilson; 08-20-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 08-20-2014

Along the lines of the flour idea for locating leaks, I have used aerosol foot powder which can be sprayed into specific areas very effectively. Obviously, leaking fluids can sometimes be very tricky to pinpoint. There is also dye that can be added to both engine oil and a/c systems that will show up under black light (? not sure if that's the right terminology) - all the major tool suppliers sell these kits and they aren't that expensive.

Ben
Old 08-20-2014
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz diesel View Post
Along the lines of the flour idea for locating leaks, I have used aerosol foot powder which can be sprayed into specific areas very effectively. Obviously, leaking fluids can sometimes be very tricky to pinpoint. There is also dye that can be added to both engine oil and a/c systems that will show up under black light (? not sure if that's the right terminology) - all the major tool suppliers sell these kits and they aren't that expensive.

Ben
Yep,the foot powder woks fine.

Never used a black light for oil leaks!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-20-2014

Could also check the CDR valve for loose fasteners. That is the unit on top of the right valve cover. Foot powder is your friend after a good cleaning. Failure of a gasket to seal usually means there is something loose, or slipped out of its channel in a rocker cover. Check the fluid for smell. Diesel fuel on a hot exhaust manifold will make your eyes water and stinks worse than oil. Oil smells like plastic and is thicker than fuel.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther