Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 01-11-2015

Default iPad GPS software

What GPS equipment/program do any of you use with an iPad? I am searching for something I can use in the Bird, but I also want to be able to utilize USGS topo and other maps for 4 wheeling in the Jeep. I wish Delorme would work on an iPad.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 01-11-2015
prone to wandering

Rick, I just use Google Maps on my iPad, which is fine assuming that you have wifi or cellular on the iPad.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 01-11-2015
Not so Junior anymore

Take a look at iihikeGPS it uses topo maps on an iPad with GPS. It is an eight dollar app.
Towed 1986 Suzuki Samurai OR 2014 Jeep jk
Old 01-11-2015
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Rick, Not really sure of your question. depending on the model of I pad, but they all have maps, as I am sure you know. Older ones use Google maps, and newer ones use Apple maps, which is very similar, on all with Cellular connectability.

I don't think wifi only versions have a GPS sensor.

If you are trying to use it off roading, where there is limited cellular signal, I don't think it will work.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 01-11-2015

Rick

I've been using the Rand McNally RV GPS iPad App for several years. The user interface for this app is clunky and at $99 it's far from free (though far cheaper than a stand alone device if you already own an iPad). Rand provides automatic and regular updates to the app database so you are always as current as possible. Upated electronic Rand Road Atlas and Roadside Information Databases are also provided under the apps' RV Tools icon. This app is the same one truckers have been using for years as a stand-alone device. Although I don't completely trust it, the height restriction routing is convenient and there are several other RV specific enhancements. The speed and upcoming curve warnings work well but can become annoying. These functions are configurable and can be turned off. The speed display and trip functions work well and I like having Flying J, WallyWorld and Loves info at my fingertips. I wish the user interface was better but it works well once you figure out how to use it and having the large retina iPad display is nice

All iPads have maps but WiFi only models do not have built-in GPS to pinpoint ones' position. GPS does not need an active cellular connection but it does need a clear view of the satellites. I purchased an AT&T capable iPad specifically for the GPS even though I have no intention of using the AT&T service. A simple plug-in GPS device is available for those without, though this would be cumbersome in an ATV. All-in-all the app has been and is well worth worth what I paid for it several years ago.

Van
Old 01-11-2015

Rick,

I also use the Rand McNally iPad App. I agree with Van's observations. It has all of the maps locally so is not dependent on a cell connection as Google Maps is (by default). You also enter your weight, length and propane and other RV specific things and it picks a route to keep you out of trouble.

It only has 2 route selection algorithms, fastest or shortest. Sometimes it can be very stupid as far as routing you through the center of a city or across residential areas.

When you miss your turn it can get really strange and seems to only have 1 solution, make a u turn, get back to where you missed the turn and get back on the original track.

I have heard that Co-Pilot is much more sophisticated and intelligent. You can drag the route on the screen to make it do what you want, it has features such as traffic congestion and is used by many truckers. Co-Pilot is more expensive.

It is possible to make Google Maps download the maps ahead of time, but it will still route you through low clearance or tiny rotaries.
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 01-11-2015

Thanks to all, but I am not necessarily needing a 'traveling' GPS for road trip navigation, planning, etc. I have that already with the Rand McNally in the Bird, a Garmin in the toad, and an iPhone all the time. And I certainly use my favorite, Google, extensively for trip planning when I have wi-fi or when using my Verison Jetpack. Use in the Bird is secondary to my primary need, which is having large-screen GPS ability for off-roading, particularly the ability of uploading USGS topo maps. Delorme is very good, but does not support macs without that funky pc-to-mac conversion software.

Mark, I will check out iihikeGPS.
Old 01-11-2015

Dont know if they have a ipad ver, but open source maps works OK on Android...
Free, and easy!

For Android get it from the play store... Its adware, but you can buy your way out of that for a few $$...

HTH, Joe

'93 WB40, Alligator - Sold
Sedona, AZ
Still having fun- even though the the BlueBirds Away!
Old 01-11-2015

Thanks Joe, but I was bit by the Apple bug some years ago.
I've been looking closely today at Mark's-suggested ihikeGPS app. It looks like it is exactly what I have been looking for when outside of cell or wifi service. It records tracks, shows elevation graphs, can mark waypoints. It uses GPS+Glonass satellites when in challenging terrain (I've no clue what that means, but my GIS major daughter says that's good), and has free USGS downloads. Certainly worth $8.
Old 01-11-2015
Clueless

I use GPS Copilot for iPad when traveling, because it uses downloaded maps, so when you are out of cell phone range, it still works (I have a cell enabled iPad). If I need to know how long the traffic jam in front of me is, I switch to INRX or Waze; sometimes they are reliable for traffic info, sometimes not. However, I am still new enough to driving the Bird that I can only take my eyes off the road for about a billionth of a second.

I also have a GPS enabled HomePatrol scanner which can occasionally give me a verbal heads up about something happening up ahead.