Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 04-18-2016

Default Cat 3208 fuel solenoid leaking?

My 3208t has fuel in the valley and I think the fuel solenoid is the problem. Even with it tight on the top plate it "wiggles" on its base if you try to rock it. I assume it should be solid. Correct?
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 04-18-2016

Solenoid should be tight, yes. If you take it off, it should not have fuel under the solenoid. Fuel in the valley is usually a steel line clamp has rubbed through, or the throttle shaft seal. Throttle shaft seal can be fixed with fuel pump still on engine, but governor has to be removed.
Old 04-18-2016

john I PMed you give me a call
Jim
Fort Pierre SD
Old 04-19-2016

John, is your fuel solenoid the two wire type or the single wire unit that relies on the ground connection via the mounting plate? The solenoid is threaded into the mounting plate and I had an experience with the threads being eroded by the electrical current for the solenoid. This made the solenoid wobble in the plate and actually started cutting the fuel to the engine giving a very scary intermittent engine miss. You can try to tighten the solenoid into the mounting plate it just threads in. On the picture of the mounting plate you can see how the threads are eroded. The two wire solenoid has a wire to ground eliminating this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Solonoid Plate (4).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	41952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Solonoid (2).jpg
Views:	440
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	41953  
Old 04-19-2016

It is the newer 2 wire type. but I have a replacement coming as a result of the unit coming loose from the base. I do have diesel under the top plate so I am tearing into it to find out why.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 04-20-2016

Thank you for the responses!
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 04-26-2016

With Jims help I pulled the top plate and found there was no diesel under the shut off solenoid this time. I replaced both injector seals a month back so that did work. I watched the plate after I turned on my prime pump and noticed diesel weeping out from under the top plate so my problem was gasket. I bought some 515 locktite and a new gasket following Jim advice and a new solenoid . I think that should take care of the valley puddle.
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 04-27-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biobug View Post
With Jims help I pulled the top plate and found there was no diesel under the shut off solenoid this time. I replaced both injector seals a month back so that did work. I watched the plate after I turned on my prime pump and noticed diesel weeping out from under the top plate so my problem was gasket. I bought some 515 locktite and a new gasket following Jim advice and a new solenoid . I think that should take care of the valley puddle.
I think that should be dry, maybe another lip seal hiding under there.
Old 05-22-2016

Just a follow-up.. The check valve gasket seems to the problem. I replaced the new one I had already replaced and even tightening the 2 bolts holding the check valve to 30ft lbs. it still leaked. I ended up making my own gasket out of a special Mr. Gasket material and put it back together. No leaks finally. I don't know if the check valve plate is warped or what. I did flat sand it with 400 wet or dry then 600 followed by 1300 before reinstalling. My biggest concern was getting any dirt into the pump. Laying on top of a 3208 in an SP is not comfortable (especially after back surgery) with my feet thru the drawer opening under the bed and using 3 cans of brakeclean I think it was clean . So are my lungs..
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 05-22-2016

Excellent! Run it till it leaks somewhere else! lol.