Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-03-2011

Interesting tidbit - gives me more appreciation of my antique.
Old 12-03-2011
davidmbrady

One thing I learned about hydraulics is, you have to shop around. I have a Holland Motors Michigan receipt in front of me for a Chelsea PTO, dated Apr 16, 2010. Price: $800.00

I bought the Sauer Danfoss hydraulic pump: CPC1040 from Sunsource for $857.00

Berendsen's is also another good source, and I hear they give a discount to WOG members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird View Post
Interesting tidbit - gives me more appreciation of my antique.
Yes, but it doesn't work nearly as well.
Old 12-03-2011

I've read it takes 60 HP to run the fan.
Old 12-03-2011

Default PTO failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Two years ago Coachcraft by MacDonald replaced both of mine, so they know the source and part numbers if you still need them. The PTO pump was listed as a p/n 1743947 @ $897.55 and the PTO as p/n 0029540 @ $1,852.57. Probably their part numbers. Labor 4.22 hours.

Not cheap. I grease mine every 3,000 miles and don't rely on a shop to do it.

At those prices I won't rely on anybody else to lubricate the PTO. Thanks for the prices, I think. I called Coachcraft yesterday and talked with Kenny Rodgers. He said they normally stock the PTO and pump but they are out now. He thinks they have a shipment coming next week and will confirm Monday. Thanks again for your info.
Old 12-03-2011

Default PTO failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
One thing I learned about hydraulics is, you have to shop around. I have a Holland Motors Michigan receipt in front of me for a Chelsea PTO, dated Apr 16, 2010. Price: $800.00

I bought the Sauer Danfoss hydraulic pump: CPC1040 from Sunsource for $857.00

Berendsen's is also another good source, and I hear they give a discount to WOG members.

Yes, but it doesn't work nearly as well.

Glad to see your price info, David. I have a Berendsen in Little Rock so I will check with them Monday. Do you think my 97 will accept the same PTO as the one on your Bird?
Old 12-03-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird View Post
I've read it takes 60 HP to run the fan.
Something like 40hp at full speed. Leroy recently pointed out that on the 8.92 equipped buses, there was no distinction in hp drawn with the fan on full speed versus with the fan off. IOW's the hydraulic circuit is consuming the same hp regardless, probably do to the circuit being shared with the power steering. His VMSpc showed no difference in diesel fuel used or hp consumed. On the S60 equipped buses, when the fan is off, hydraulic hp and diesel fuel usage drops dramatically. If I run my fan continuously at full speed I see a 1/2 mpg penalty. Leroy sees the same 5.5 mpg fan or no fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilldoc View Post
Glad to see your price info, David. I have a Berendsen in Little Rock so I will check with them Monday. Do you think my 97 will accept the same PTO as the one on your Bird?
Royal, I'm 99.9% sure cause they all bolt to the same Allison 4060HD, but we probably should wait for confirmation from a 1997 owner. In reality, I think Chelsea makes only one that works in our application, the 267XDFJPM5GK.
Old 12-03-2011
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Royal, sorry to hear of your problems. I remember we talked about the pto at RATS. Glad you did not have to have a tow. Guess I better pull mine and see what it looks like.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 12-03-2011

Wow, we learn something everyday (sometimes disturbing).

I have my 'bird serviced regularly and I've never known about this. CoachCraft does all my maintenance and perhaps they grease mine and I just didn't know it. Every 3,000 miles? If this maintence has never been done, I've rolled my 'bird 40,000 miles.

Are there grease fittings easily accessable? Is this something that I could do myself?

Guys, please educate me a little more.
Old 12-03-2011
davidmbrady

Royal,

I found this in another thread: "By the way, Berendsen did offer to extend the 20% discount to all forum members, but you may have to call the Grand Rapids, MI branch if others won't agree".

Tommy,

You can relax, your coach doesn't have a separate PTO/Pump for the 8.92 hydraulic fan motor. Your coach shares one circuit for both the power steering and the hydraulic fan.

On the S60 equipped coaches we have a reservoir of hydraulic fluid that's shared between two otherwise separate circuits. One circuit is for the power steering and the other circuit is for the S60 fan. Both circuits have their own pump, high pressure line, and return line. The power steering works off a pump that's bolted to the S60. The S60 fan works off a pump that's bolted to a power take off that's bolted to the transmission.
Old 12-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
Wow, we learn something everyday (sometimes disturbing).

I have my 'bird serviced regularly and I've never known about this. CoachCraft does all my maintenance and perhaps they grease mine and I just didn't know it. Every 3,000 miles? If this maintence has never been done, I've rolled my 'bird 40,000 miles.

Are there grease fittings easily accessable? Is this something that I could do myself?

Guys, please educate me a little more.
Tommy,

There is only one grease fitting, and it is accessible without raising the coach. It is between the two units. You might have to wipe away some gunk to find the fitting. Pump grease in until you see it coming out a vent on the top. Pretty easy.

David, I am miffed I spent a thousand dollars more than the price you found. I was brand new and over the barrel as it was on its way out at the first Pine Mountain RATS rally. I assume these are the same units. Live and learn.