Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-04-2011
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Thanks randy. I don't know about the number, only what has been listed here.
But if it is really that easy to ck, then anyone with one of these should.
I have a chelsa label/tag in my blue box. No date or anything, may have come from factory or it could suggest it has been changed at some time.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 12-04-2011

Never thought of that, KC....hmmm, perhaps there's a magnet somewhere on my "entitlements", perhaps locking it into one position and keeping it there. Is there a "magnet removal tool" to remove that magnet?
Old 12-04-2011
davidmbrady

Hi Mallie,

According to Peter Chin, his '95 uses a 275/76 series Chelsea. This model doesn't have the zirk fitting. The 275/76 does have the external oil line as does the 267. Internally there are two separate cavities: (1) the straight cut gear cavity, and (2) the shaft with splines cavity. (1) is open to the transmission. Fluid is pumped into (1) via an external supply line and expels into the transmission, (2) requires some other lube.

On the 267 series there are two options for lubing the splines, (1) a zirk grease fitting, and (2) a wet spline kit. The wet spline kit requires a second oil line. I didn't investigate it any further, but if someone wants to here's a number: 662-895-1011 Chelsea Products, Olive Branch, Mississippi. I'd want to know if the wet spline kit changes any of the dimensions of the PTO; space is very limited.

I quickly took a look at the Chelsea site to see what they have to say about the 269 series. It appears that this PTO is only for the Allison MD transmissions, we use the HD transmission. You may want to dig a little deeper, but since there's a wet spline kit for the 267 this may be an academic exercise.

As far as splitting the PTO from the pump in situ, it'd be tough if not impossible, at least on my LXi. IIRC, the bolts holding the pump to the PTO aren't accessible with the pair in place. In addition, there's a 2" steel supply line that has to come off which means dumping fluid. Yours may be different. I'll see if I can dig up a picture. Even unbolting the two units as a single assembly requires removal of the 2" supply line. Some transmission fluid is lost but not more than a quart.

IMPO, early failure is due to the lack of a grease zirk fitting on some models (model 275/276) coupled with owners reluctance to split the assembly for periodic manual lubing, or the owners' unawareness of the need for periodic maintenance.

According to Chelsea, in a motorhome application, driving once a month with 5 to 10K miles annual, add an ounce of grease once per year. They said one 11oz tube of grease should last 10 years. We don't want to fill the cavity. There should be room in the cavity for the displacement of the expelled grease. Chelsea mentioned that if the cavity is full, you may want to pull the pump and clean out some grease. Less is more.

Last edited by davidmbrady; 12-04-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: clarity.
Old 12-04-2011

Default PTO failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
Royal, sorry to hear of your problems. I remember we talked about the pto at RATS. Glad you did not have to have a tow. Guess I better pull mine and see what it looks like.

Mallie, as you know, I had concern about engine temps for a while before the PTO failed. Apparently, the engine cooling fan was beginning to lose speed due to the spline wear. Before we took off for RATS I had the coach serviced and asked the shop about the PTO and engine temps. They checked temps after driving it and said there was nothing unusual. I still wasn't satisfied that everything was right because the engine oil, coolant, and transmission temps were increasing faster, and moving higher than I had observed since first getting the coach in 2006. Watching the gages and knowing what is normal for the coach is really important.
Old 12-04-2011
davidmbrady

The Chelsea folks strongly recommend part number: 379831, Spline Grease. They like it b/c it's extremely high temp and it's extremely sticky and viscous at high temps - it stays put. I bought it from Florig and had it drop shipped to my house.
Old 12-04-2011
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Thank you David. I did not catch the MD on the 269. I have looked before, but not closly. I will have to do that and see what number is on mine.
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 12-04-2011
pgchd

David, Great write up (as always) Thanks! In the old PTO threads I forgot about the 2 cavities.... good info to know!
Mallie, Yep thats the # on mine, have no idea when / what year they switched over to the new pump David and the later birds have. Bill took real good care of that Bird, had a grey notebook and wrote down every oil change, fueling, filter, EVERYTHING! See if you have it in the "stuff" you got from the other PO. Bill's the one that gave me the idea to keep a log......7 years and 8 double sided pages later.............. my arthritic hands are getting tired of scribing

Last edited by pgchd; 12-04-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2011
Forum owner

David,I never tried to split the PTO from the pump,but i remember a tech telling me it could be done.
Maybe he was "hoping" it could be done?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-04-2011
pgchd

Randy,
post # 15 below may provide some insight...... others lots of good info in this thread..... to tie the two together for future use...... I guess a
good question for the old pumps is are they spline or universal joint!

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...hydraulic+pump
Old 12-04-2011
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I went to my storage to take a look. Thought it might be simple, and it is, well kinda. My PTO is the same number posted 267XDFP-5GK. It has a zert on the end. Still have no idea what kind of shape it is in. You can see the pump bolts to the PTO with two bolts, and easy to get to. The problem is the hard line coming from the tank will not allow it to slide without removal.
Mallie@EuLake.com