Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 01-27-2013

Default Windows 7 or 8

It's time for me to upgrade to a new desktop computer. My present one is just too slow and there's no room on the board to add more memory. I will keep my monitor (24 inch Dell) because I really don't want a touch screen. I love the touch screen on my I-pad and I-phone, but I like to sit back in my chair and relax when using the desktop. I don't want to have to lean forward to use a touch screen. I am not totally against using Window's 8, but I am looking for input from anyone using it with a non-touch screen monitor. I was looking at a "touch mouse" that seems like it may be fairly user friendly, but still has some limitations. The other option is a Windows 7 machine, but I would have to order it on-line because none of the big box stores around here have them in stock. Any input will be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2013

We have windows 8 on a laptop. It is very difficult to navigate around. I am sure some of it has to do with the newness of it for us, but so far I am not impressed with it.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 01-27-2013
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I had a computer go down ( lost lots of stuff) and had to replace it. The new one has win8

yes it is screwed up, just like every new version they put out. this time the steering wheel is hidden behind the spare tire in the trunk! But not unlike every new version. A couple of hours and you get used to it. I got mine from Staples, and when I got home I noticed they gave me a certificate for a free training session. I am not going to go, store is 40miles one way, but it is often offered and could be a good way to get the basics.

Tho I hate every change, it would be a mistake to not get it on a new computer. There are always programs the new windows will not run. But the one program I needed it to run was Access97, and surprisingly it does it.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 01-27-2013

I would buy a new machine with what ever OS then buy Win7 PRO as a separate disk. This way you can clean the disk and reload from scratch if you have problems later. Cheap insurance in my book.

I would then wipe what ever is on that disk clean and do a new install from scratch. So often the new machines come with a bunch of garbage add on software. Some of is is buggy to boot. So build it up from scratch.

Win8 is another Vista fiasco as far as I am concerned. Give it another year before Micro$haft gets all the bugs worked out.

However, this may not be for everyone. It isn't difficult it just takes a bit of time and care.

Paul & Janice Olson
Morrison, Colorado
Mi-Vida-Loca
1984 PT40
KoWSU
Old 01-27-2013

Once you go Mac you'll never go back. Unless of course you're forced to use a PC at work (like me) and have to reboot several times daily.
Old 01-27-2013

I've just changed my entire office (4 machines) to win7 machines. Had been using XP pro. So far, it's been ok. It seems to do most of what I want, but you do have to hunt to find some stuff. But, it's stuff you'll really only need during set up; so you won't use them much. I'd give a half a vote for it!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 01-27-2013
Itchintogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird View Post
Once you go Mac you'll never go back. Unless of course you're forced to use a PC at work (like me) and have to reboot several times daily.

Now there is a guy who knows what he is talking about!!!
Old 01-27-2013

AMEN!!!

We're all Mac here at home, and I'm stuck with Win at school. Can't wait until I retire.
Build number 4371
Old 01-27-2013
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsufans View Post
I would buy a new machine with what ever OS then buy Win7 PRO as a separate disk. This way you can clean the disk and reload from scratch if you have problems later. Cheap insurance in my book.

I would then wipe what ever is on that disk clean and do a new install from scratch.
Or, install Linux Slackware 14.0 and free yourself from walled gardens, privacy infringement, and corporate stranglehold. Buy the 14.0 DVD. It's easier to install than any Microsoft product I've ever installed. You'll gain control of your computer again.
Old 01-27-2013
Timberlake Products Group

Got a new laptop a month ago with Windows 8... HATED IT! (Still hate it)!! Gave the laptop to my daughter just last night... she HATES IT BTW, the last laptop I had came with Windows Vista... go figure

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup

Last edited by Turbokitty; 01-27-2013 at 11:00 PM.