Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
Diesel Liberty's are gonna be pricy but they are cool

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/ctd/3542142147.html

I have a diesel powered golf cart

I have a small portable 7500 watt generator with that same diesel engine on it. MAN is that thing LOUD!!!
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 02-08-2013
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morefire View Post
I have a small portable 7500 watt generator with that same diesel engine on it. MAN is that thing LOUD!!!
Exactly! Black smoke and clatter is an added bonus!

Here is another diesel jeep in FL.

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/ctd/3464348458.html

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 02-08-2013

Shane, 65 mph? That would get you 3/4 the length of the on ramp! I can't remember seeing an Accord flat towed other then yours would there be a way to determine what if any changes were made in the transmissions

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-08-2013
Forum owner

Morefire,yours is way cool,no doubt
Mine is more of a commercial style,pintal hitch.
50 gal fuel tank
Torsion axle.
electric start
diesel
all military surplus of course.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-08-2013

I just looked at Davids genny pics and had a chuckle because back in our Winnebago days we had a Craftsman gasser with a CBR 600 muffler on it.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
My trusted Honda Accord is at 321,504 miles, so I am looking for a newer one.
Shane, I'm disappointed you are not getting full life out of that vehicle. It's just getting broke in.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 02-08-2013
Former Bird Owner

Motorhome/Trailer Life magazine(s) do a pretty good job with an annual "towing guide" that lists all the vehicles that can be towed as is.

In general, most any car with a manual transmission is good to go 4-down. (But you must check each individual model, as there are exceptions.) Cars with automatic transmissions are problematic -- some can be towed and many can't. A few that can may have operational restrictions that may or may not be a bother.

The issue with automatic transmissions is that under tow, the transmission fluid does not circulate so that the internal components do not get lubricated. (Note that Wanderlodges can not be towed unless the drive shaft is removed -- this is the giant sized version of the same situation.)

Remco makes two products: (1) transmission fluid pumps that can be fitted to a large number of automobiles. This device is inserted in an external transmission fluid line -- usually one between the transmission and the transmission cooler (radiator). (2) The other product is a drive shaft disconnect. The drive shaft is cut and a device is inserted that allows "freewheeling" of the rear wheels. This device is not generally available for front wheel drive vehicles. (Remco was split into two companies since the start of the "great recession" so these products may be produced by separate entities, now.) As I recall, one of the two Remcos also makes various other towing accessories, such as tow bars, base plates, etc.

I had a Remco transmission pump on the Camry that I owned at the time I purchased my coach. It allowed me to tow the car 4-down with no unusual procedures and without any specific speed restrictions. (Speed restrictions are often placed when the towed vehicle is unable to adequately keep the transmission fluid at a safe temperature. Lower speed reduced heat build up.) My experience with the transmission pump was mostly positive (I suffered no transmission damage after 36,000 miles under tow). I occasionally had a balky umbilical cord problem, where the transmission pump ceased getting power. A warning buzzer and light would alert me to the problem, so it could be dealt with before any damage to the transmission occurred. This issue was usually caused by dirty contacts. I carried "TV tuner cleaner" and Q-tips to fix -- and a spare umbilical cord to swap in to avoid having to clean the cable on the spot.

Due to the expense, it's often best to use a vehicle already in your possession (with whatever needed add-ons) than to buy a specific vehicle to tow. My Camry, already nearly 10 years old when I purchased my WL was already paid for. Spending the roughly $1000 to install the lube pump was significantly cheaper even than buying a used vehicle that could be towed without the installation. (Any vehicle I towed would also require a base plate, tow bar, and supplemental brakes along with the necessary wiring to handle the lights.)

When faced with a replacement -- that's when it gets interesting. Using the Motorhome Magazine towing guide, I 'kept in mind' the potential of a couple of vehicles that I might be willing to have for day to day driving (beyond simply being used as a toad). I included vehicles going back 3 or 4 years in my considerations.

Among those I would have liked (this is a personal choice -- there are other vehicles that others might prefer over my choice) was the Honda CR-V (and SUV) and the Honda Element (another SUV). The Element was towable for some of its earlier years, but a transmission change with the 2007 model year rendered it not towable.

However, my 1996 Camry lasted through the 40 months I owned my 'bird (2005~2008) -- and only the discovery of some potentially expensive possible repairs in 2009 caused be to sell it with about 180,000 miles (as the repairs would have exceeded the net book value of the vehicle).

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 02-08-2013

Jeep is bring the diesel back for 14 in the Grand Cherokee.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 02-08-2013
prone to wandering

I heard that too John, and it is apparently the 3 liter that they will use. We have a 2008 Grand Cherokee with the 3 liter MB diesel and it is awesome. Hands down one of the finest vehicles that we have owned, and that is largely due to the diesel engine IMO
jimdoel@me.com
Old 02-08-2013

The new Cherokee will have a new 3 L V6 made by VM Motori (Italy)-Not the same engine as the 2008. VM also made the 2.8L 4cyl. for the Liberty.I think only 15,000 made. The 4 is very noisy , the 2008 very quiet and the new 3 L reported to be quieter.(and requiring DEF tank )
VM is owned 50:50 by GM and Fiat now.