Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-19-2013

Mike,

It's probably due to better hp/wt ratio (less weight will always help), but I've not seen anything like that printed specifically. It's only numbers I've gleaned from reading the forums.

Truly the most variance comes from the right foot. They're all capable of getting much better mileage than most of us see, but it's also not normally safe to continuously drive one that slow that far to accomplish that. 40-45mph on the interstates would not be in anybody's best interests.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-19-2013
Forum owner

i never got more than 6mpg with a 6V92.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-19-2013

Man am I glad you asked that question. My old Bird with a 3208 natural would get 8, wouldn't win any races but ran all day like a clock. I switched to a Winnebago Journey with a C7 cat and still do a strong 8. I admit I miss the old Bird but it would growl going up an overpass. Realy underpowered. So MPG's "the question" If some fool says its not important he must have got hit in the head too many times. I've been motorhomeing 40 some years and was always trying to improve on my MPG's. I just took the grand kids cross country and the diffrence between 8 and 6 would have made us pass a few Micky D's with out stopping in for a hot fudge sunday. So my thanks to all of you M380 guys for your input and I am always looking to get another Blue Bird but the commander in chief says it has to be a small one. So I figure M380. Thanks
Old 09-19-2013

So if you routinely drive 10000 miles a year and you change birds from a 4 mpg bird to an 8 mpg bird, you spend $5k less per year in fuel at a $4/gal price. While not a small sum, you can still easily spend more on other normal maintenance items. AND you can take your 4 mpg bird and get 6 mpg, IF you're willing to lighten up on your right foot, cutting the difference to under $1700. Less than what you'll spend for the wife's Christmas present.

Fuel isn't the major expense for MOST people; but unfortunately, it seems to be at the top of most people's minds. There's a whole bunch more important stuff to worry about.

I guess I've just been hit on the head a few too many times!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-19-2013
Forum owner

Fuel is the cheapest thing about owning a bird.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-19-2013

MPG was a prime decision for us buying first a FC and later a BMC. Budgeting for the initial buy and fixing things is one equation, and living on a monthly pension to include fuel cost was and is a equally important equation - for us.

This is the same reason I slowed down from 75 MPH to 63 MPH after retiring from the work force - fuel costs and living within the monthly income.

94 BMC 37' at 63 MPH loaded heavy for full-timing, and towing a light car - 8.5 mpg average over 4 years of manual calculations (includes some of the generator runs as well).
Old 09-22-2013

BrianS

We DID go to the Durango rally in our SOB. It was our first BB rally and we too are interested in the M380. During the rally we were fortunate to have two owners of their beautiful coaches give us their Royal tour, as well as answer ALL of our questions. An amazingly educational experience for this longtime BB wannabe! Everyone we met were exceedingly helpful and friendly. What a great group of people! So I would say that your "no admittance" experience was definitely not the norm and you shouldn't let that discourage you. However based on the repairs I saw going on at the rally, Randy's comment about fuel would unfortunately be accurate. The shredded tire change out (pic below) was just one interesting repair I saw being made at the rally and from that I learned about "Force Multiplier" wrenches Happy hunting!

Van
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	24916