Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 06-01-2017
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie View Post
Also please, can anyone tell me if the front springs sit under the chassis rail or to the side, there seems to be several documents but showing both :-), and since I have no chassis numbers to refer too I am a bit blind
thank you
Actually that's a trick question, I see what you did there.

The rear sets on the outside of the frame, the fronts split the difference; half under the frame and half outside the frame. So the offsets are different between front and back spring mounts.
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 06-01-2017
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

I did not see these posted, they might be helpful. They were printed in the promotion material that came with our FC. Please excuse my toes.

NH Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC - frame cut-away illustration.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	49231   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC chassis view illustration.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	49232  
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 06-02-2017

Hi Bill nice toes , I do actually have those pictures (but had not noticed the air bag setup, but I need the non one too ) and I have referenced the chassis one where I can, but its a bit more guessing and the suspension location/layout is hidden. I have the lub chart looking down from the top which I used to work out spring locations and that is where I figured the springs sat on the outside.........until our man Mike threw me a curve ball with half under and half to the side, I need to give that one some thinking. The spares parts manuals (although I do not know the model numbers) did help but now I am not sure.
I have worked on the side of and under the chassis setups but never seen that 1/2 1/2 layout here.
Thank you for the thought and the pictures it is appreciated, and thanks Mike for throwing me under the bus (although that's exactly what I really need )

Malc- Hexham, Northumberland-UK
Only a Dream: FC model, 78-83 ish like 'Over the Rainbow'
Old 06-02-2017

Quote:
Hi Bill nice toes , I do actually have those pictures (but had not noticed the air bag setup, but I need the non one too ) and I have referenced the chassis one where I can, but its a bit more guessing and the suspension location/layout is hidden. I have the lub chart looking down from the top which I used to work out spring locations and that is where I figured the springs sat on the outside.........until our man Mike threw me a curve ball with half under and half to the side, I need to give that one some thinking. The spares parts manuals (although I do not know the model numbers) did help but now I am not sure.
I have worked on the side of and under the chassis setups but never seen that 1/2 1/2 layout here.
Thank you for the thought and the pictures it is appreciated, and thanks Mike for throwing me under the bus (although that's exactly what I really need )
Geordie, here's the pic of the rear hanger outside the frame. I'll try to get a pic of the front springs today so you can see the 50/50 split. If you notice on the rear hanger they bolt to the side and wrap under the frame rail. The fronts do that too only the center of the spring is 1/2 under the bottom corner of the rail.

Don't ask me how I know all this but let me also say don't use a cheap Harbor Freight press on the bus, it doesn't survive real pressure. I did replace some parts with stronger ones and also upgraded all the bolts so it's still alive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spring installed shackle-sm.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	49238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frozen U-Bolts-sm.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	49239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broke Press2-sm.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	49240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broke Press5-sm.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	49241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broke Press6-sm.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	49242  
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 06-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
Geordie, here's the pic of the rear hanger outside the frame. I'll try to get a pic of the front springs today so you can see the 50/50 split. If you notice on the rear hanger they bolt to the side and wrap under the frame rail. The fronts do that too only the center of the spring is 1/2 under the bottom corner of the rail.

Don't ask me how I know all this but let me also say don't use a cheap Harbor Freight press on the bus, it doesn't survive real pressure. I did replace some parts with stronger ones and also upgraded all the bolts so it's still alive.
That is some serious work surely to that to a press
Those pics are first class thank you sooo much

Old 06-02-2017

Quote:
Here's that 50/50 front spring mount I was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front Spring Mount.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	49257  
Old 06-02-2017

Quote:
Here's that 50/50 front spring mount I was talking about.
Thats brilliant, thank you for that it helps a lot. Can i assume that the rear hanger of that spring is the same as the other picture of the rear one except that it too is half way under?
thanks again

Geordie

Old 06-06-2017

Michael
Is this a close representative of the rear hanger please?
cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spring.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	49303  

Old 06-06-2017

Quote:
Michael
Is this a close representative of the rear hanger please?
cheers
No, that's the front hanger. It's 50% under the frame and 50% outside the frame due to the hanger offset.
Old 06-06-2017

Quote:
No, that's the front hanger. It's 50% under the frame and 50% outside the frame due to the hanger offset.
Thats me in haste again grrr
So what i should have wrote is 'I have your picture of the front spring-front hanger and the rear spring-rear hanger but i am blind on the front spring-rear hanger and rear spring-front hanger', so is this picture of the front spring-rear hanger close?
i hope that makes sense,