Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions

Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions Sometimes as we travel throughout the country it may help to know what the current Highway, Road and Weather conditions are. Here is a good place to list current conditions and also good and bad roads that you have found in your travels You will also find here links to all of the USA road conditions and Weather Forecast and Radar condition web sites.

Site Search:

Old 09-06-2017
Knows Very Little

Default US 101 for 43' LXi?

Hi, Folks - we are in Washington state and plan to work our way up to British Columbia and then down along the west coast, staying in as many Thousand Trails campgrounds as we can. We're also trying to avoid fires and ash...

I'm doing some route planning (and booking the TT campgrounds) - once we get south of Seattle, we'll be on the coast and the route that Google Maps recommends is US 101. Is US 101 ok for us to drive with the Bluebird and toad?

We'd appreciate any recommendations!

Patti Williams, formerly Cartwright, of Carl and Patti Williams,
housekeepers and drivers for Miss Kitty...
home is where we park Miss Doozie, a 2000 43' LXi Millennium Edition F128750
with 2010 Red Jeep Liberty toad
cellphone: 214-952-9415
patti@willfam7.com
https://journeyinamazinggrace.blogspot.com/

Current location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=421
Old 09-06-2017

You should be fine, it will be slow going as most of the road is two lane. There are a couple of steep hills in Oregonnand a lot of small towns. Make sure you stop at the Art Deco store in Wheeler Oregon. If you are new to the coast fell free to call me, 509-440-4136
Old 09-06-2017
Geek

I live on 101 (Eureka, CA) have driven 101 many times from Aberdeen WA to Los Angeles, in multiple RVs including our prior 40-foot Blue Bird. I would be surprised if the extra 3 feet would matter. I've never been around the Olympic Peninsula in anything but a car and that was a long time ago, but it doesn't sound like that matters in your case.

Most of the road is easy, and the parts that aren't just need slow and steady.

The Oregon Coast is one of our favorite places, and I've driven the length in one direction or another a couple of dozen times.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 09-06-2017

[QUOTE=Marty Gregg;391118]You should be fine, it will be slow going as most of the road is two lane. There are a couple of steep hills in Oregonnand a lot of small towns. ]

Agreed. It is a good road. As Marty said it does go through some small towns but it is well worth the trouble and the drive. There are many things to see so take your time if you can.

IMHO the 101 Hwy is fine but Hwy 1 can be a challenge in some places of California. Such as Hwy 1 between Monterey and San Simeon in California. (Think very twisty and narrow.) In some places the 101 and the 1 are the same road. These areas should not be an issue.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 09-06-2017

I live right off the 101 in N California and drive it in my bird often. Coming south from Washington is definitely doable. There are a few spots you should be aware of. 8 miles south of Garberville is Richardson grove. The highway goes right through the redwoods and is a little tight with some old growth redwoods very close to the roadway on the inside of the curves. They are all scarred up from years of getting clipped.The big issue here is encountering a large vehicle coming the other way. The other spots are the summits north of Laytonville and south of Willits. The one north of Laytonville has some 40mph curves. The one south of Willits has some 45 an 55 mph curves but is a bit easier and is 2 lanes each way.It is a beautiful drive. Enjoy. Just wondering if you have a plan for San Francisco?
Old 09-08-2017
Knows Very Little

Many thanks for the words of encouragement - I feel *much* better now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCoastRob View Post
Just wondering if you have a plan for San Francisco?
We want to visit San Francisco - I was looking at the possible RV parks that would put us in train or car driving distance of the city... I know more about the area south of San Francisco (from my previous working life - I would travel to teach classes and taught in Palo Alto, and many times to San Jose and Santa Teresa). If you have any suggestions, I would be very happy to hear them!!!

Patti Williams, formerly Cartwright, of Carl and Patti Williams,
housekeepers and drivers for Miss Kitty...
home is where we park Miss Doozie, a 2000 43' LXi Millennium Edition F128750
with 2010 Red Jeep Liberty toad
cellphone: 214-952-9415
patti@willfam7.com
https://journeyinamazinggrace.blogspot.com/

Current location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=421
Old 09-08-2017
Geek

I try to avoid the Bay Area as much as possible, but I have to go to UCSF medical on occasion so when I do I first try the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, or if they have an event and I can't get in I stay at the SF North KOA in Petaluma. Both have drives that you want to time based on rush hour traffic.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 09-08-2017

I do not drive my Bird into SF. IMHO: You want a small car in SF.

I have visited the area many times. We like to stay in an RV park just south of the city in Pacifica, CA. It is not in town but it is close enough to take the toad in. Downtown SF is a 15-20 minute drive. The RV park is a paved parking lot with hook ups. Be advised last time we were there they had suffered some erosion and the spots over looking the ocean were dry camp only. You are on a cliff 50 feet above the water so no beach. Sights are not huge but are adequate. They used to offer a reduced rate for stays of 7 days or more.

http://www.sanfranciscorvresort.com/

Good luck
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 09-08-2017

The KOA in Petaluma is a great base to see the SF Bay Area also. They run tours right from the park into the city if you don't feel like driving and parking in the city. It is also right in the middle of wine country if that interests you.The new SMART train also started this week and you can take it from Petaluma to SAN Rafael than hop on a bus into the city if you want to avoid the traffic. I live about 45 min N of SF so feel free to contact me if you need anything or have any questions while in the area.