Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:
View Poll Results: Some are having issues with this thread, help us by answering this poll
Close this thread 4 4.49%
Add a moderator to moderate all posts, before allowing it in this thread or moving it to a new one. 6 6.74%
Leave it as it is. 79 88.76%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2018

Nice setup Dave. I picture you and Dexter down there all the time.

Tom Wunder
Wilmington, NC
1979 FC31RB
Echo
A Thing From The Past. A Gift For The Future
Old 12-23-2018

Default Shadows at home!

Well, I got the gate finished and cleaned up my mess. Parked Shadow in his spot no problems. I was worried that the driveway was too steep and that the hitch might scrape on the concrete, but no problem.

With Shadow about 7' off the edge of the sidewalk ( back far enough to allow vision up and down the street ) I can open the person gate and Shadow's engine access hatch with plenty of room to work. The only compartment which is blocked is the LPG / Barbecue storage. It is blocked by a no longer used fence post which used to hold the person gate. I left the post there because it gives me a good visual cue as to where the eaves of the house are.

I will be able to provide 20 A power to keep the batteries charged etc.

I must admit, I would like to have something like Busta's nest, but I am grateful for what I have. Now I can work on Shadow (and Retro) in all of those odd little hours where nothing else is going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9406.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	59640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9407.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	59641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9408.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	59642  
1988 PT 40 "Silver Shadow"
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"
Old 12-23-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorton View Post
Well, I got the gate finished and cleaned up my mess. Parked Shadow in his spot no problems. I was worried that the driveway was too steep and that the hitch might scrape on the concrete, but no problem.

With Shadow about 7' off the edge of the sidewalk ( back far enough to allow vision up and down the street ) I can open the person gate and Shadow's engine access hatch with plenty of room to work. The only compartment which is blocked is the LPG / Barbecue storage. It is blocked by a no longer used fence post which used to hold the person gate. I left the post there because it gives me a good visual cue as to where the eaves of the house are.

I must admit, I would like to have something like Busta's nest, but I am grateful for what I have. Now I can work on Shadow (and Retro) in all of those odd little hours where nothing else is going on.

Every man here wants something like Busta has!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorton View Post

My Bus and Garage are nicer than my house! And bigger
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

"The tallest guy with the shortest bus acquired a "BIG BUSTA"

<bustadesign@hotmail.com>
Old 12-23-2018

Today I replaced the old LCD TV in the bedroom. The viewing angle limitations combined with the mount on a pair of drawer slides didn't allow good viewing from the bed.

Of course, the new TV, selected for good off angle viewing, had a different mount pattern that could not be made to fit the old mounts. Back to the store for a hinged TV mount. This solved the viewing angle problem and makes it much nicer to watch while in bed.

Still full timing in my front yard (roofer promises to start Friday).

Steve

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 12-29-2018

Default I did this!

Well, I got a good bit of time in Shadow today - in the daylight no less!

I took the sofa out and worked at removing the cabinet between the sofa and kitchen cabinets which houses the living area heater. With advice from the forums and bright flashlights and a two foot demolition bar, I was able to get it out! ( non destructively - honest! )

See the pictures for a sense of the mayhem involved.

I got the heater out and in the garage, I will start going through it tonight.

After getting the heater out, since I still had daylight, I got up on the roof and replaced the shroud on the front AC unit. Pretty easy job and I feel better having it covered properly before the next rain.

I also did a quickie survey of the roof including several broken antennas and areas which look like they need a little sealant maintenance - particularly around the skylight.

I should be able to work on Shadow all day tomorrow and hopefully will make some good progress.

Projects to be worked on before heading to Quartzite include:

Rebuild water inlet regulator

Fix leveling system - does not move any jacks - pump runs.
Add grab handle for exiting coach
Add storage pockets for passenger cell phone etc.
Change engine oil
Change engine Racor filter
Change generator oil
Maybe replace generator coolant hoses
Upgrade battery bank - possibly rebuild battery tray like I saw on here a few weeks back in a post I can't find any more (story of my life)

Good thing I am gainfully unemployed!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9414.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	59697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9416.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	59698  
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"
Old 12-29-2018

Default Annual inspection

I went through the checklist and found one marker light non-functional. I popped the ladder up, tapped on it, it came on, and stayed on.

Then I took the bus to the Texas Inspection station, paid my $7 and got my inspection done. I was more thorough than the inspector.

Then I fixed the "repairs" done to my awnings as part of my body work earlier this year. They had replaced the 4 panel window awning shell with a 3 panel + flex key which was poorly made--- I had all the old bits and pieces, and was able to piece it all together and have 4 panel shells again.

Then I took the kids on a drive back to the storage lot. Pretty satisfied that nothing new added to the list today.
Old 12-30-2018

Jim, so glad Shadow has an owner with the expertise (and time) to take care of him! Had no idea the front furnace was defective; on the infrequent winter trips chassis heat on the road & baseboard heaters when parked seemed to do the job for us.
Looking forward to seeing you both at Q!
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 01-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
Jim, so glad Shadow has an owner with the expertise (and time) to take care of him! Had no idea the front furnace was defective; on the infrequent winter trips chassis heat on the road & baseboard heaters when parked seemed to do the job for us.
Looking forward to seeing you both at Q!

I am very happy to have Shadow. I enjoy working on things - all minor so far and the electric heaters did keep us warm on the way home from Utah, as well as on our camping trip to King City. The propane heater had some wasp / mud-daubers - I think that is really the only problem.

We are still on track to be at Q and looking forward to it!

Anyway - work on Shadow has ( over the last few days ) included dis-assembly of the 30K BTU living area heater - see picture of wasp nest attached.

I also changed the generator oil and filter as well as the secondary fuel filter today. I am planning on the main engine oil change tomorrow, maybe also the Racor filter. I will do the secondary fuel filter after the Racor is done and I have a little run time on the new Racor filter - let the old secondary filter capture any crud that gets through because of the Racor change out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9417.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	59720  
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"
Old 01-03-2019

Default Changed engine oil & filter

I changed Shadow's engine oil today - at least 7 gallons of it. Also changed the filter. I will see if I can get another gallon or three of oil at tractor supply tomorrow - their delivery truck was today, but I am not sure if the oil got ordered in time for today's delivery. If not, there are three other stores that I can get some from. Clearly I need to make a routine stop by the local store every week or two and buy them out. Right now, we are at the "add" mark with the filter full and having run the engine for thirty seconds or so.

I still need to change the Racor filter and the secondary fuel filter, as well as do the chassis lube, though I need to ensure that I block the rig up properly.

My driveway slopes down a few inches over the length of the coach, which I think I can safely accommodate, But it may take me a while to get the proper combination of blocks under tires and stands under the frame at the same time so that I have two margins of safety. The ride height investigation / repair mentioned below also requires very safe blocking & support.

I also checked Shadow's ride height, sorta, and found it wanting. I will be posting in another more appropriate thread regarding that problem unless I find answers by reading what is already there first. The short story is that at the rear, Shadow goes from 16 to 21 inches between ground and bottom of body side behind rear wheels as I air up. The front only seems to go from 16 to 16.5 ! This could explain why the generator support frame hit on the ground which moved it and made the bumper alignment wrong (frumpy smile syndrome). I found the ridewell manual in my blue box and have looked at it, I am going to go look under the front end and see what is going on.
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"