Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 02-04-2019

Default 78 FC gauges & low psi not working?

On the way home from Q the temp and fuel gauges stopped working along with the low psi light. What do you think? I have not had time to look yet and we will get snow today. I think it has to do with the ING switch. Big job removing the dash!
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 02-04-2019

In my 1977 FC31, under dash was a rats nest of wires. Difficult to remove without disturbing a lot of wires and connections. My guess is that those three things share a common grounding point that has come loose. My gauges dash had a couple clustered grounds that were all posted into the steel beam support structure.
You might find it easier to open the front panel and look up from the outside of bus.
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

"The tallest guy with the shortest bus acquired a "BIG BUSTA"

<bustadesign@hotmail.com>
Old 02-04-2019

Not so bad. Cut the DC power, pull the steering wheel, remove many screws and grommet washers then gently and in a determined fashion pull the dash up and back.
Don't do this in the winter when wire insulation is cold and even stiffer than it is due to being 40 years old. Head gun can be a friend.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 02-04-2019

More then likely a bad ground
Old 02-06-2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	Echo Dash board.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	60117

I have a similar problem and need to remove the dash, my aux battery switch is broken an I want to replace it. I have removed the screws, the edges of the dash are loose and I can pry them up a little but, the dash is sticking in the middle. Seems to be stuck in the area of the large gauges, tack and speedometer. Are those gauges attached somewhere, should I try to force them up? As mentioned lots of wires and I'm mindful of Mikes advice about breaking them. The steering wheel doesn't seem to be in the way in my 1979 fc. I Can't get access from underneath.

Tom Wunder
Wilmington, NC
1979 FC31RB
Echo
A Thing From The Past. A Gift For The Future
Old 02-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman1197 View Post
Attachment 60117

I have a similar problem and need to remove the dash, my aux battery switch is broken an I want to replace it. I have removed the screws, the edges of the dash are loose and I can pry them up a little but, the dash is sticking in the middle. Seems to be stuck in the area of the large gauges, tack and speedometer. Are those gauges attached somewhere, should I try to force them up? As mentioned lots of wires and I'm mindful of Mikes advice about breaking them. The steering wheel doesn't seem to be in the way in my 1979 fc. I Can't get access from underneath.
Its the Tach drive cable, Hard cable that has a collar that threads onto back of tach. Reach in and unscrew, it might require pliers to grip to break loose. The next thing that holds the dash in place is the ignition switch and the bundle of wires on that. That as well can be released.
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

Old 02-06-2019

How did you access it? I've had the front open and it looks like it's all covered up with a metal plate. Again lots of stuff in the way.

Tom Wunder
Wilmington, NC
1979 FC31RB
Echo
Old 02-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman1197 View Post
How did you access it? I've had the front open and it looks like it's all covered up with a metal plate. Again lots of stuff in the way.
Not sure about a metal plate. That could be the tach body that your seeing. Depending how high you can pull up the dash, there is a structure beam running across under dash that could be in your way. The cable on the tach is very tight and offers very little slack. I also accessed the cable from front of bus after I opened the front panel. I reached up through the rats nest and was able to get a hand on it. Hard to release, it is a bigger challenge to reattached but can be done.
Many of the switches on the lower left corner also can hold the panel down. Disconnecting those you can release the dash further enabling you to roll the panel up higher closer to the center were the Tach is. Also, make sure your steering column is at its rearward most position.
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

Old 02-06-2019

I'll go back there and take another look and try to get a picture. It looks like the metal plate runs the width of the dash. I can pull up the tach a little bit. I think the speedometer is the bigger problem.

Tom Wunder
Wilmington, NC
1979 FC31RB
Echo
Old 02-09-2019

Well it is snowing again here! No work yet on the gauges, I had to bring the truck battery to town to get it charged (my charger would not do it?). Then back to UCSF for pain injections in my spine.
SO: It is about 30*F now, can I keep the engine and hot water on all the time, or should I just run them at night and off during the day? I think the HWH will turn on/off at set temp so I should be OK. The engine heat I do not know, and it pulls 10 amps, so I think I would like to turn off during the day and on at night? or every other day?
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!