Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 06-01-2018
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Gardner, the fan does not spin when the engine starts. It appears to be original, so I don’t think it is 12 volt. There is nothing showing on upper dash gauges either. Again sorry for the multiple posts. I have a lot to learn about posting and with the bird. Thanks for all your help ant patience.
Look at the pic I posted, you can see the big black plastic 12 volt fan on the radiator. The original 220 volt fan motor is big and mounted to a heavy metal mount. Note mine was in an FC so the radiator was in the draw with the gennie.

No fan spin means no ac, so something is amis with the generator head, regulator, or control box. The other guys updating this thread are on top of things so I will back off for now.

Here is a manual, see page 35 for Perkins.kohler start sequence and diagram of control box
Go to this URL for other documentation (look for Kohler) https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/downloads/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kohler Manual001.pdf (1.67 MB, 46 views)
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 06-01-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2019

I have a 89 WB with a Yanmar and am having a similar issue. It worked fine in the morning and then I started it later at night and it shut down as soon as I let go of the switch. A slight plume of smoke came out from behind the gen and then nothing. The radiator fan does spin but starts weak and slowly gains speed, but still shuts down when switch released.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2019
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadHorde View Post
I have a 89 WB with a Yanmar and am having a similar issue. It worked fine in the morning and then I started it later at night and it shut down as soon as I let go of the switch. A slight plume of smoke came out from behind the gen and then nothing. The radiator fan does spin but starts weak and slowly gains speed, but still shuts down when switch released.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Once the smoke gets out things don't run well, and it's near impossible to get it back in

Try to locate the source of the smoke, What is behind the generator , like the control box, generator regulator, etc. Look for burned components on the regulator. Measure the output voltage when it is running, I'm pretty sure it will be low from your description of the fan activity.

Let us know what you find and we can make a plan from that.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-17-2019

Behind the generator are the bushes, the voltage regulator, and I think a fuse, but I am not 100% sure on the fuse.
Old 02-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa View Post
Behind the generator are the bushes, the voltage regulator, and I think a fuse, but I am not 100% sure on the fuse.
Do to the weather I won’t be able to get under the bird for awhile but here is what I got for a photo.
Old 02-19-2019

I see a "Slow Blow" fuse and the regulator. The Brushes will be inside the rear support. If you let the smoke out I doubt a fuse is going to fix anything.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-20-2019

I swapped my Kohler out with a Brushless 13.5KW Central Georgia Generator Head. The exhaust was kind of a pain because the heads are different sizes.

It's so nice knowing that I've got a generator that should last. I was having a heck of a time finding the right parts to fix my Kohler when it went out. Mine was a mechanical problem where the rear housing got destroyed when the bearing failed.
Alpine, Texas
Full Timing
1989 WB 40 "Roll'n Home"
Blog: www.rhhelpers.com