Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 02-12-2010

Default Snow in February in the "Sunny South"

This weather is crazy - snow in this part of the world in February???????

I've got daffodils coming up and bluebirds (the real ones) in my bluebird houses. Supposed to be 3-5 inches before 1:00 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	February 11 Snow 001.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	628.0 KB
ID:	4173

Name:	February 11 Snow 002.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	686.2 KB
ID:	4174

Name:	February 11 Snow 003.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	683.3 KB
ID:	4175

Worse south of us 5-6 inches in Montgomery, AL

Old 02-12-2010
WanderBee

We're bracing for it to hit Atlanta this afternoon. We only expect to get about 2" here. But, I think it will be even less in the northern suburbs. Currently, in Alpharetta (where I work), there's no snow coming down at this point.
Marietta, GA
Old 02-12-2010

It must be El-Nino or global warming or the Al Gore Rythm or something else weird. Until Wednesday we had not had enough snow to make it worthwhile firing up the old JD. Way up here we are way behind on snow for the year, for some strange reason you are stopping it all in Dixie. Go ahead, send it north. All the plow drivers are going broke this year. Just a bit on the evening news about how all the local municipalities are a hundred grand or more under budget for clearing the streets this year. Of course we don't expect to see a refund in the old tax bill this winter.
Old 02-12-2010

Default Snow in February in the "Sunny South"

Four inches and counting on the mountain (1100 feet MSL) where I live - a little less in lower elevations.

Courthouse closed, court cancelled, nothing to do - roads closed, can't drive the four miles to get to my bird (at least I could be doing some house cleaning there.) I'm bored.

I don't know how you "blizzard land" folks handle it.
Old 02-12-2010
Forum owner

we have had steady hard rain for 20 hours,the temp is 40 degrees,yesterday the high was 40 degrees.
Its nasty,my dirt road is a disaster.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Its nasty,my dirt road is a disaster.
So it has improved! Good to hear : )

Guy Smalley
1986 PT 40 v8 92
Old 02-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
I don't know how you "blizzard land" folks handle it.
Tommy,

I have come to the conclusion that it's all what you are used to. I come from northern Indiana, we have our cold temps, currently single digits at night, and we have about a foot of snow on the ground now. But I have to say that the most miserable winter I ever spent was in Fort Gordon, GA in 1965. No matter what I did I couldn't stay warm at night. It wasn't until about noon that I was comfortable and as soon as the sun went down it started all over again. That cold just cut right through me like a knife. I assume it must have been the dampness, I don't know. I was very happy to get to someplace warmer, when we left. Of course that happiness went away real fast!

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 02-12-2010

We had about 4 inches on Tuesday afternoon, followed by another 6 overnight. Spent a couple of hours on the tractor plowing our drive and my neighbor's drive, after that not much to it. It's pretty much a non-event. Schools close, of course, but everything else is open and normal.
The squirrels that eat all the birdseed I put out get so fat they can't get through the snow to the trees fast enough when the hawks show up, so I shovel a path from the feeder to the trees for them. Hate to have them turn into hawk chow. My spousal unit gets a big charge relating that to friends when we have a beverage or two.
So I will head out to the park this afternoon and spend an hour or two on my cross country skiis. Tonight, after cooking some salmon on the grill (right outside the back door on the patio) and having a glass of wine or two with it, fire in the fireplace, and watch the Olympics on the tube.
We tend to not get too excited about a foot or less of the white stuff.
Old 02-12-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTarrier View Post
We had about 4 inches on Tuesday afternoon, followed by another 6 overnight. Spent a couple of hours on the tractor plowing our drive and my neighbor's drive, after that not much to it. It's pretty much a non-event. Schools close, of course, but everything else is open and normal.
The squirrels that eat all the birdseed I put out get so fat they can't get through the snow to the trees fast enough when the hawks show up, so I shovel a path from the feeder to the trees for them. Hate to have them turn into hawk chow. My spousal unit gets a big charge relating that to friends when we have a beverage or two.
So I will head out to the park this afternoon and spend an hour or two on my cross country skiis. Tonight, after cooking some salmon on the grill (right outside the back door on the patio) and having a glass of wine or two with it, fire in the fireplace, and watch the Olympics on the tube.
Bill if I didn't know better I'd swear your post was from a Canuk. That's the way we handled the 'snow days' back before I heard about snowbirding.
Old 02-12-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTarrier View Post

Bill,

You may want to add your location to your permanent signature, so that folks will know what part of the country you are from, or are you holding that as a secret, after all Bill and Patty Pape claim that state......................they just don't spend the winter up there

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11