Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-20-2019

Default Question for Electrical Experts

The previous owner had installed a DC -DC converter above the passenger side overhead next to the front tv. It was feeding a wire traced to above the front door. I assume it feeds the LED strips but not sure.
Since then I have added feeds to feed a WiFi outdoor antenna, a USB TV antenna booster and a Camera to watch and talk to our Fury son Dashi when we are not in! I also found a 12 volt line that was feeding a Direct TV antenna (I took it out) above the driver that I now use to power a Mofi router.

Side note - I am not sure if the power for Mofi comes from the same DC-DC converter or not! There is also the KENWOOD stereo! Bottom line I’m not sure what is the draw on the converter!!!!

Now I’m trying to add to it but I’m not sure if the 100 watt converter can handle it! I’m going to add a MacMini as a file server to the Mofi. I know Mac mini draws about 85 watts continues. And the rest of what added perhaps another 30 or so watts. I bought a 240 watts inverter to run the Mac mini by running a line from the converter to the inverter. Since I have no idea what is the draw on the poor 100 watt converter is, I let everything run including the Mac for a few hours and then used the infrared heat sensor gun to see how hot was the converter running and it registered 108f. The max for that unit is 130f.

What now? Am I safe or do I need to upgrade the converter?

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 11-20-2019

What's the purpose of running the MoFi off of a DC-DC? Is it 12v - 5v or something like that? I don't have a MoFi, but the routers that I've got that run at 12v all have a voltage regulator that can handle 13.4 (or even 16v)

MacMini is 110VAC, right? (which means you're converting to invert to convert... but not much choice on that unit I guess.) Why not run the inverter straight from input DC? It should be tolerant of engine-on voltages, then leave the converted DC-DC for devices prone to flicker with poor power input.
Old 11-20-2019

Pictures of said DC-DC converter? 108F isn't hot, but I'm curious about how efficient it is.
Old 11-20-2019

When I was in there and looked at your dc-dc converter the only thing it was powering was your led light strips. If I remember correctly you had a switch for the lights so it must be after the converter. As for the inverter I wouldn't run that through the converter as it doesn't require a regulated power supply. You could pull your power from the feed before the converter as long as you're not pulling too many amps on that circuit.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 11-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Pictures of said DC-DC converter? 108F isn't hot, but I'm curious about how efficient it is.
Here is the pictures Andy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8A47822-EC4B-41A1-9DB3-F9BC1E3F5966.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	65282  

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 11-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Ridley View Post
When I was in there and looked at your dc-dc converter the only thing it was powering was your led light strips. If I remember correctly you had a switch for the lights so it must be after the converter. As for the inverter I wouldn't run that through the converter as it doesn't require a regulated power supply. You could pull your power from the feed before the converter as long as you're not pulling too many amps on that circuit.
Thank you Kevin that makes sense! Assuming the 12 power line that used to power the Direct TV antenna we took out with Lucas is not on that converter which currently I am using to power the Mofi router is not on that converter then I can use that to power both the Mofi and the inverter.

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 11-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleburgess View Post
What's the purpose of running the MoFi off of a DC-DC? Is it 12v - 5v or something like that? I don't have a MoFi, but the routers that I've got that run at 12v all have a voltage regulator that can handle 13.4 (or even 16v)

MacMini is 110VAC, right? (which means you're converting to invert to convert... but not much choice on that unit I guess.) Why not run the inverter straight from input DC? It should be tolerant of engine-on voltages, then leave the converted DC-DC for devices prone to flicker with poor power input.
Paul, thank you for responding. Yes Mac is 110 and know that you and Kevin mentioned it! I guess I don’t need a regulated 12 volt, any live 12 volt line will do!

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 11-21-2019

Before you go tapping into the source 12v wire to that converter-- is the switch before or after it; also, what gauge is it and approximately how long is that wire-- in other words, is the wire up for 20 Amps (240w) of load without overheating?